BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Question

Discussion in 'Starting Your Business' started by Anjou, May 29, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Anjou

Anjou Entrepreneur

Hi

i want to start a bookstore, but the person i work with was hoping to sell additional merchandise int he bookstore. would it, from a business point of view, make sense books or should we also sell additional merchandise / material. the business is aimed towards the dark gand gothic community.

Regards
    Andrew

T J Tutor likes this.

2. Chris Parrish

Chris Parrish Entrepreneur

If your niche is the gothic community, it would make sense to add additional merchandise, maybe music?
    to go it books alone ask yourself, would you be able to sustain as a business if nobody was to purchase books for a while?

3. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

Good point!

If you're familiar with the niche, perhaps you know what people who are into gothic would look for and want to buy.

I would try to do some research on products, demographics and market if you do decide to add complimentary products to your books. I think it would really help.

4. William Clements

William Clements Moderator Business Owner Entrepreneur

I would say you should absolutely offer other merchandise as well. If you ever go to a bookstore you will see other merchandise. Those who are targeting the every day person and not an specific close niche like you all typically offer that you can purchase pens/pencils, paper, notebooks, glue, other school supplies such as backpacks, and even laptops and travel cases since everyone uses an computer.

You can offer that stuff along with books. What will make your bookstore uniquely for Gothic is their music, rings/piercings, tattoos, clothing, etc so all of this along with the kind of books they read is what will make it unique.

5. Anjou

Anjou Entrepreneur

The udea now is to have thre sections

Books
    Clothing and jewekrey
    As well as a side space for drinka

The effort is in mexico city so this should be a funxtional idea.

6. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

Perfect suggestions!

7. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

You will need to compete with the other stores, most all of them having additional merchandise that is related in some way. Some have cafes as well. It's a good idea to study the competition and be sure to do some things that set you apart from them.