BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Possible to license an idea (not for a product or prototype) or business strategy/model?

Discussion in 'Planning Your Business' started by summersab, Aug 12, 2016.

Share This Page

1. summersab

summersab Entrepreneur

I've read a decent amount about licensing products or ideas for products. However, is it possible to license a concept, strategy, or idea for improving a company? Here are two examples (I could come up with more):
    • Instead of founding Dollar Shave Club, the founders decide to approach Gillette with the idea and license this it to them. Gillette then starts a subscription razor company.
    • Pretend that the idea of layaway hasn't been created, yet. A customer reaches out to Walmart, licenses the idea to them, and Walmart launches this offering for Christmas sales.
    Neither of these ideas has a "product" or a "process" associated with them, so I'm not sure how you would establish any IP to protect them. Is it possible to license such things?

2. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

@summersab , welcome to entrepreneurfix.

As per my knowledge you can. Meet a local IP lawyer. They will help you to put this in a format and file it.

Best wishes..

3. summersab

summersab Entrepreneur

@VirtualGlobalPhone, any idea what type of filing would be needed to protect something like this? I would think it would be some sort of patent because trademark and trade secret don't really apply, but it doesn't seem to fit those parameters, either . . .

4. Ewa

Ewa Entrepreneur

What about having your Business Plan written down, and put a license/ patent on it? Basically an idea on a legal paper.

5. Wanderer1689

Wanderer1689 Entrepreneur

Are you sure if the local Ip lawyer can help on this one?

6. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

@ wan
    @Wanderer1689 ; Have you approached any ? whats the feedback you got ?

One has to file the IP from local reachable authority. IP's are normally associated to country of origin and legal backup is normally provided from that country. Again ! its not as simple as these few words .. it may changes its shape for some country like China and Hong Kong.