BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. FreelancingQueen

FreelancingQueen Entrepreneur

My sister is considering opening a thrift shop in our small hometown. She says she wants me to be a business partner in this endeavor. However, I am not sure exactly where we would get the inventory to sell. Have any of you ever owned your own thrift shop and if so, how did you get your inventory cheap enough to sell it at highly discounted prices while still making a profit?

Digsby Trace likes this.

2. guitarmom1279

guitarmom1279 Entrepreneur

I have considered opening a thrift store as well. My Dad owned one for years and made alot of money at it but most of all he had such enjoyment dealing with the public and helping people. I am sure it is like everything else and it is rough to start out at but I think if a person has the finances and a large variety of items to sale it would be well worth it.

3. Digsby Trace

Digsby Trace Entrepreneur

In which country do you live? I usually see a lot of site that are selling thrift items in bulk. Usually in the US and UK. Visiting their warehouse will save you delivery fees. I wanted to open my own bookstore someday that sells second-hand books.

FreelancingQueen likes this.
  4. thedude

thedude Entrepreneur

I have a friend who works with a local thrift store. Basically she buys old wooden furniture from charity thrift stores for cheap, sands and refinishes with interesting stains or paint colors, then sells it to a mom and pop thrift store who resell to the public. Something you could consider would be doing the refinishing yourself for a higher profit.

Digsby Trace likes this.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I am also thinking about opening a thrift shop in the future. I would probably sell second-hand books. Most people are interested in reading so it's the best choice for me, and aside from that, I myself is a bookworm too. Anyway, just try to set a concrete plan first.

6. doodles67

doodles67 Entrepreneur

My cousin currently owns a thrift shop. She started her business at a local flea market and worked during the weekends. She went to other vendors and to garage sales to get her inventory. Eventually, she was doing so well that she moved to a small retail shop.

7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

Having also my own thrift shop someday is also one of my dream business because I myself sometimes buy items in this kind of store. Well maybe if you have right amount of capital to start the business, the right supplier, the right location and prospect customers no doubt you can make good in this kind of business. And of course your determination and hard work is also what you need to be successful in your business endeavors.

8. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

I have always thought that a thrift store would be really an enjoyable venture to look into, and I know that I will never do anything like it but it seems like it would be fun, and especially fun if you can turn it into something that is very profitable. I hope that all of those things come true for you.

9. FreelancingQueen

FreelancingQueen Entrepreneur

I live in the US. I have often thought about checking at local yard sales and flea markets because you can usually get some great deals on good used clothing at these places. I have seen bulk orders of used clothing on Amazon and eBay, but by the time I'd pay shipping or buy the gas to drive to pick something up in person, there really would not be much profit involved.

Digsby Trace likes this.
  10. Digsby Trace

Digsby Trace Entrepreneur

Some people don't use Amazon and Ebay to advertize. There are local shops where you can buy bulks. You just have to ask around and research if you have it in your neighborhood. I do agree that shipping is one of the main problem as it could increase cost but if you buy continuously, you may get discount on your next purchase.