BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Small Business, and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What Marketing Type(s) are you doing?

1. Cost Per Action/Acquisition (CPA)

42.9%
  2. Cost Per Click (CPC)

100.0%
  3. Cost Per Install (CPI)

42.9%
  4. Cost Per impression (CPI)

71.4%
  5. Cost Per Lead (CPL)

28.6%
  6. Cost Per Mile/(1000 Banner Impressions)

28.6%
  7. Cost Per Registration (CPR)

14.3%
  8. Rev Share (% of Sale)

42.9%
  9. INCENT

14.3%
  10. Other (Comment)/None if the Above (Comment)/Not in Online Marketing

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.

Share This Page

1. William Clements

William Clements Moderator

Many people ask a similar question as Online/Internet Marketing, What is it? or What does it mean? I do hope to clear this up for you by the time you finish reading this.

Definition: Internet marketing, or online marketing, refers to advertising and marketing efforts that use the Web and email to drive direct sales via electronic commerce, in addition to sales leads from Web sites or emails. Internet marketing and online advertising efforts are typically used in conjunction with traditional types of advertising such as radio, television, newspapers and magazines.

First off, you need to define or find your target market. Basically, before paying a penny in advertising online, figure out who NEEDS to find your website. Instead of focusing on getting a bunch of traffic that has no target and just clicks. That is the equivalent of if you just put your money in the trash. It might just help you a lot of write this all down and come up with an advertising plan. This can even be done when starting off on just free advertising, even though it can be a little harder. However, you need to do some research either way.

Ways to advertise:

SEO (Search Engine Optimization)

I can try to be found by buying my own domain name (this is different from my distributor site which is never found in search engines) & making my website. It is important to come up with an domain name that is targeting those who buy candles online and easy to remember. Candle.com is already taken so being creative would be required. Keep it short and if at all possible an .com domain name. Then design your website to match your target market. When adding pictures, add pictures of your products instead of yourself is an great example. Adding an picture of yourself would be fine of an about page but most appropriate an an website where I am trying to sell myself to recruit more distributors.

Now you can add keywords to your website to target your market when people are searching in search engines such as Google.

Social Media Marketing

To add some important components to your website that are free and can help boost traffic and also to find loyal followers, make sure to add social media page account for your business and add their button to your website that takes you to your social media accounts. Some examples are Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, Google +, etc.

You may also find some good traffic on them that you paid for and free. However, use the below method(s) if using paid advertising from those social media ads. Also, make sure to post in them as regularly as you can to keep your follower base active and engaged. This is one of many ways that you can go Viral or Viral Marketing.

PPC (Pay-Per-Click)

If you even search for something in a search engine, you will usually see sponsored ads listed and listed first. These may or may not have anything to do with what you searched. However, you would be seeing as the key words/terms that were chosen when advertising was placed. Ones you have found your target market you need to make sure that if using PPC, that you use words that are very TARGETED/specific and are coming search terms, otherwise the traffic can be a wast of time and money or you can get no traffic at all. However, you also want to avoid paying for PPC where your competitors are dominating and have the money to do so or you would pay a pretty penny. So a search term such as Online, online candle, candle, online candle business, business and such are too broad and would be costly when bidding for that spot. So if your promoting soy candles then use that as a search term or if they are made with fruits and vegetable oils then put that, or something more specific. Not specific enough? Well, maybe the company name would help. I was promoting Mia Bella Candles so I could of used that. Those are all just examples. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!!!!

Email Marketing

Similar things such as your target market do apply as well if you are trying to build your list, which you should do. Start out by finding an auto responder right for you and your list building needs, unless you have the time to do it yourself. Then make sure to also add an way for your traffic to stay up to date via email a long with social media. Ones they subscribe at your website then you can continue to promote to them long after your original advertisement initially paid for. Now, I get asked the question a lot, I have this mailing list but am no long in this industry, can I optimize it by send them offers? Yes, you can get into Affiliate Marketing and send them offers to earn money from that list. However, still try to find offers that are targeted and interesting to them. You may do this by sending out an email with an survey on what types of offers they would like to see and what not. Believe it or not, asking such questions or having them fill out a survey for you is one way to conduct research.

This will blend in smoothly as I move into talking about Affiliate Marketing (the industry I am in and love. Check out my signature for more information).

What is affiliate Marketing? Affiliate marketing is a type of performance-based marketing in which a business rewards one or more affiliates for each visitor or customer brought by the affiliate's own marketing efforts.

There are different times and you may add PPC/SEO/social media/email marketing to the list of ways you may promote affiliate offers. You may also promote via a banner/text link on your website, pop up traffic which can show on your page or in another tab as many people realize when they go to some websites, Mobile placement on your mobile app, Incent, if you own any type of incent website such as an Get Paid To (GPT)/Paid To Click (PTC) website, link locker, content locker (which both lockers prevent you from seeing what you are looking for until you complete an offer such as an ebook), offer wall (Lots of gaming sites/apps have this where you can complete an offer on there to earn currency to use toward playing the game), more & Advertising it as a Affiliate Network owner to your affiliates which is one of many ways I do this. However, lets concentrate on some of the key terms of the types of campaigns/offers you will find now!

Cost Per Action/Acquisition (CPA)

This method of online advertising is called “cost per action” (CPA). It can also be referred to as cost per acquisition, “pay per action” (PPA) or performance-based advertising. The mean the something.

What is it? Is an online advertising pricing model where the advertiser pays for each specified action - for example, an impression, click, form submit (e.g., contact request, newsletter sign up, registration etc.), double opt-in or sale.

Cost Per Click (CPC)

The cost-per-click (CPC) is the amount you earn each time a user clicks on your ad. The CPC for any ad is determined by the advertiser; some advertisers may be willing to pay more per click than others, depending on what they're advertising. - This model is similar to Pay Per Click, except you are getting paid for each click.

Cost Per Install/impression (CPI)

For per install, you get paid every time your traffic installs something such as an web browser, games, computer cleaner, virus protection, and other software. Where as per impression is when the advertiser pays for each impression or each visit to your website that is is advertised on and you get paid (however, not so common).

Cost Per Lead (CPL)

Cost per lead, often abbreviated as CPL, is an online advertising pricing model, where the advertiser pays for an explicit sign-up from a consumer interested in the advertiser's offer. It is also commonly called online lead generation.

Cost Per Mile/(1000 Banner Impressions)

Similar to per impression except you get paid a rate on every one thousand views instead of on each impression.

Cost Per Registration (CPR) *No, this has nothing to do with trying to restart someones heart but the abbreviation is the same, we are aware.*

Cost Per Registration is the total cost of acquiring traffic divided by the number of registrations that result from it. Once figured out you are paid an fate rate each time someone registers. Some know this as Cost Per Conversion, however, that could mean any of these above and below. A conversion is one it converts into paid traffic to you.

Finally, we have Rev Share which is short for Revenue sharing. It is when you get paid a % of Sale.

Any Questions, comments, concerns, etc. comment below or PM me!

VirtualGlobalPhone likes this.

2. William Clements

I do all of the above plus I have such offers on my Affiliate Network!

3. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhya New Warrior

I wonder whether the evolution of the Internet and the wide acceptance of ad-blockers and ad-removers would have any impact on the growth of ad-revenue with the ads we implement on our is a viable method to earn some decent cash. With more sites accepting the use of adblockers is it worth depending on ads. I think affiliates are the next big thing in earning revenue from the content you create. I recently switched to affiliate marketing for my blog and my Youtube channel. I have to wait and see how this impacts the ability to earn revenue.

4. William Clements

Well, I have some affiliates myself that do not make anything or not much and others that do pretty good. It is dependent on many factors!

5. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Seasoned Warrior

This is a brief but comprehensive article about internet marketing. I do SEO and SMO(free marketing techniques), I also do marketing through my signature on various forums. I have done paid marketing on facebook but it did not help me. I spent more than $50 on facebook ads but I could not make a single sale.

6. William Clements

@Vinaya.Ghimire, I am sorry you lost money on Facebook. Just as with any paid marketing, you have to keep track of how it is doing and revise to see how to get better results or results at all. I cannot tell you why your ad did not work out for you. However, just like any other paid search or display advertisement where you buy an ad on an high traffic site, there are many reasons on why it did not work out. Most popular, would be key terms needing to be tested/tweaked, search is too broad, too close niche, wrong key terms or advertising on wrong niche website or niche key terms due to low key term/website traffic. I hope this makes sense.

7. ctfranklin28

ctfranklin28 Warrior

I think "online marketing" is a very vague term. Part of the reason is that the Internet is an evolving and disruptive thing that can't be pinned down. (That what happens when you mix human creativity with money and technology!) Internet marketing, in my view, is anything that you do online to promote something with a goal. That goal could be profit, recognition, or influence. The "thing you do" could be as simple as an email signature and as complicated as a social media campaign.

8. eProject

eProject Warrior

I usually prefer CPC and CPM since the audience doesn't need to sign up or buy anything for me to make some cash. Pay Per Install programs need one to have enough traffic before they can make any money. I tried to promote CPR links and I found out that one can earn from dating affiliate programs.

9. kabirthapar

kabirthapar New Warrior

Well according to me Search Engine Optimization is the best way to drive free traffic. More over Pay per click is also a good option when you want to save time and have a lot of money.

VirtualGlobalPhone likes this.
  10. azgold

azgold Moderator

It is a good long term strategy but social marketing can also be really good, when done correctly and with great content offerings.

kabirthapar likes this.
  11. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator

If you are a starup do like @kabirthapar said - good SEO site, work on various social connects and mainly focus on customer support... Their is no replacement for word of mouth. You provide high quality service with affordable price, you will have a success. Slow but its worth it...

kabirthapar and azgold like this.
  12. techbat

techbat New Warrior

SEO is best method to drive free traffic. Paid marketing can lead direct leads to your business in case your business is new.

13. arungoyal

arungoyal New Warrior

Well everyone approach search engines to collect required information OR Services thus for me search engine marketing is best way for lead generation but in current scenario there is tough competition for top rankings and 90 % leads are grabbed by first page positioned website, Apparently CPC is a good Option.

14. lawrencedavid

lawrencedavid New Warrior

Thanks William for sharing this information about online marketing.