BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

According to David Berry in the National Post, Cineplex Theatres is debuting a whole new movie viewing experience.

It's a new technology that includes a three panel screen, horizontally panoramic view of movies.

Berry points out that this may be nothing more than a commercial gimmick, similar to IMAX. He states that few movies are made for a split screen, that if different scenes play on each screen at the same time there would be too much visual noise, and that the side screens will often be nothing more than border/filler.

Despite finding fault with the concept, Berry is quick to point out that Cineplex is very good at the business of using new gimmicks to improve their bottom line and keep those movie goers buying tickets and popcorn at their theatres. He cites the upcoming release of Canada's first 4DX theatres this fall as an example of the company's constant evolution, in order to maintain and grow it's share of the market.

Still, Berry does see the potential of the new multi screens, assuming a savvy director knows how to shoot a movie that takes advantage of all that screen real estate.

I think that I'd like to experience both of the new types of theatres, at least once. The 4DX one sounds especially interesting to me. :)

VirtualGlobalPhone likes this.

2. CM_2016

CM_2016 Entrepreneur

Sounds very interesting. It would be cool to see how that second creen could tell another simultaneous part of the story from another character's viewpoint, i.e. with "The Revenant" with those "first person" scenes they shot, that would be an especially interesting technique.

3. azgold

I was actually thinking about these new screens yesterday, while watching True Detective. Part of the episode was done that way. I'd wondered if it wouldn't be too distracting but it actually wasn't bad.

4. Josephine Stuart

Josephine Stuart Entrepreneur

Not to be negative, but this sounds very overwhelming. What exactly is this going to bring us that a normal movie experience does not?

5. azgold

That's what I thought. Figured I wouldn't know where to look then miss a lot of the movie moving my head back and forth like I'm watching a tennis match. :)

Think I have to agree with the author that it's probably more a gimmick than anything else.