BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Small Business, and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Member

After having a bad experience with GoDaddy a few weeks ago, I've decided to leave them behind for good.

I've gone back to my regular domain registrar, NameSilo, who I have been doing business with for the last year and I have not had a single problem. I registered a few domains with them last week and found a promo code for $1 off. I'm sharing the promo code here in case anyone else wants to break free from GoDaddy:

TAKEOFF$1
    Good through December 31st 2015.

Their domains are $8.99, and renewals are $8.99 as well.

2. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Member

Can you tell us more about the bad experience with GoDaddy?

3. Ham Hic

Ham Hic Member

according to my experiences with GoDaddy, I think it is among the best in the domain of hosting.

Can you share with us your experience ? :)

4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Member

I am kind of surprised to find out you have had bad experience with GoDaddy previously. Honestly, I have been hearing/reading good reviews about them, so this negative feedback is something new to me.

5. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Member

I bought a domain from GoDaddy about 3 weeks ago and started building a website. Two days before the website was completed I went to log in to WordPress, but the domain had been redirected to a page on GoDaddy's website. At first I thought my site had been hacked into. I went to GoDaddy.com to make sure I was on their real website and when I logged in, there was a page asking me to send them a copy of my government id, and possibly 2 other forms of identification.

That didn't sound right, so I called and asked why they needed my government id for a domain name. It's not like I was buying a gun or anything. It's just a domain. They said they didn't know why, and when I asked to speak to a supervisor, they said all the managers were too busy on the floor to take my call. I then asked to speak to someone in the security department that was requesting the id and was told that department does not take calls, they do not have a phone, they only communicate through email, and there was no way they could transfer me to that department.

I went ahead and sent in the id since I needed the domain and had already spent time creating the website. About a hour after I submitted the id, I received an email from GoDaddy asking for not my id, but the id of the person who's name is on the payment method on my GoDaddy account. The payment method/credit card has my business name on it, so there is no government id for a business. I called them back and told them this. They put me on hold, came back and said the security department will take a copy of my tax id number. But I thought the security department didn't have a phone? How did they get in touch with them so fast without a phone? o_O

Luckily I had a copy of my tax id right next to me because I had just updated my business address on my tax id in September and the IRS sent me a letter with all the updated info on it. I submitted that letter and waited.

An hour later, I received another email saying they needed to see the charge for the domain on my bank statement. I logged in to my bank, took a screenshot, and sent it in. Another email came an hour later, and they requested a photo of the front and back of the physical credit card I used on the account. I sent THAT in as well.

By this time it was 3am and I'm thinking, "I must be on Candid Camera. There's no way all this is happening over a domain name. I'm probably just tired and exhausted". I went to sleep, woke up, and the account was still locked. I had not heard back from them. I called again and demanded a supervisor. The supervisor put me on hold and came back saying the security department needed a copy of my tax id letter again, but with my name, the business name, the address, the tax id, and the date visible. I had scratched everything out except my name, the business name, and the tax id number for security purposes.

I told them I was not sending in anything else. I had already sent my id, my tax id, my credit card, and my bank statement. I told them I wanted my account unlocked by the end of the day or else I was going to call back and start harassing people. Later on that night my account was unlocked right before midnight. A website that was supposed to take a week to complete is now 2 weeks overdue and money lost.

I'm done with GoDaddy.

6. Ham Hic

Ham Hic Member

I purchased two domain name from Godaddy, i didn't send any copie gouvergment id or master card ...

5 minutes before the purchase the domain names are actived.

really, it's weird :(

7. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Member

The domains were already activated and in your GoDaddy account before you paid for them? Or are you saying they were purchased by someone else while they were still in your shopping cart?

Mine were already paid for. I had them for a week. I've never heard of them being activated before you purchase them.

8. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Member

When added to your cart, they are only taken off the market for fifteen minutes at all registrars. So if it is in our cart for sixteen minutes you are at risk of someone else buying them.

9. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Member

Right. I think @Ham Hic might have been saying that's what happened to him. His domains were taken before he made the purchase. I guess they were in his cart for over 15 minutes. I've never had that happen to me though. I guess no one wants the domains I'm buying. :D:D:D

10. Ham Hic

Ham Hic Member

Hello @Kathryn M.

For godaddy, i paid from my card (i didn't send anything)

But Hostgator, when i purchased, i paid with card's friend (Hostgator sent me email to justify account card bank, i replay to their by sending PHOTO ID of my friend) after i connect with support they active my hosting in 5min.

I have friends who paid hosting in Godaddy with foreign card, they didnt receive anything from Godaddy.

that all :)