BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. JDI

JDI Entrepreneur

Project E.: Introductions

Company: Hiking Services

For:
    -First timer hiking
    -Wanted to have a quick hike but there's no one that have the common interest?
    -Get Fit through hiking

Services:
    -What we do here is simply to guide/accompany you through the trails.

Trails: Macritchie Reservoir
    1- Venus Drive [~1.5hr] Total: ~7km
    2- Full Hike [~4hr] Total: ~15km

Service by: Male, Student, Hiking Enthusiast

Targets: Beginner and/or peeps trying to lose fat "effortlessly*"

Pax: 1-4 ONLY
    Price: SGD$10++/-

**payment is only made after the hike, pay only when you are satisfied with the service.
    *service may not meet up to your expectations as this is our first ever "Project". We are making this as a learning platform for us to improve ourselves so that we may apply it for future trails.

Please note that when you sign up for this hike, you agree that you are joining at your own risk and that you are solely responsible for your own safety.

Notes: For those who are looking ways to lose weight, Hiking is definitely one of the best & easiest ways to incorporate in your workout routine. Why? Because when you hike, you may not feel like it but you definitely are burning a lot of calories without knowing as you are having fun while enjoying the Nature. As a start, I myself used to be obese, 123KG/272LBS when I started hiking and am now 79KG/175LBS & maintaining. This is undoubtedly a good way to start your weight loss journey.

Questions to you guys:

1) will you take this service?

2) what do you expect to get from this service?

3) how much are you willing to pay?

Really hope to get feedbacks from you guys, don't have to sugarcoat it.

Thanks!

setupdisc likes this.

2. Griffin

Griffin Entrepreneur

1) I would consider this service, but would only do so after many people have tried it and supplied positive reviews.
    2) I would expect someone who is capable of keeping a close eye on their customers, ensuring that they take breaks when needed, provide nutrition and hydration to them when needed.
    3) I would pay anywhere from $10 - $30.

One main factor is local competition. How much competition do you have in your area? Are there other well known hiking businesses?

setupdisc and JDI like this.
  3. Fred H

Fred H Entrepreneur

I would work very hard on how you market the hike. "Loosing fat" is a negative and sounds judgemental. I personally would look more to increasing health or reaching health goals. There are already groups similar to yours on the West Coast where mountain bikers who dont know each other meet up and ride becuase its a shared interest. ITs been very succesful here for a long time. If your messaging reaches, every age group and every goal rather than concentrating on overweight people, you could have the start of a viable business

JDI likes this.
  4. JDI

JDI Entrepreneur

Hi @Griffin , Thanks for the Feedback!
    1) Yeah this is legit, only with good reviews will it attract more customers.
    2) I will take that in mind. Right now, i'm just bringing my friends/families to these hikes to just experiment with them regarding this issues. What they need, which point they'll usually wear out.
    3) Looks like I can make the minimum payment as $10, most of the feedbacks said that the price was ok.

For local competition,
    1) Government. They usually does guided tours, depending on the periods, sometimes its free and at times you may need to pay. The thing about this is that it usually fills up very fast. A few times I wanted to join but its full. So, this is when i can "grab" their client.

2) Hiking groups, there a few group here but the cons is that they are very experienced & seasoned. They hike up really fast and may not be good for beginners. Usually in a large group, so, keeping a close eye is out of the question.

This is where my "company" comes in.

Hey there @Fred H , Thanks for the feedback. Looks like you are right, the way how i plan to market my hike might "hurt" some people in one way or another. "Increasing health or reaching health goals" might be a better focus for this Hike! Thanks.

And for this Idea to work out, I'm working with my friend who I frequent hike with. The good thing is he can covers my weakness and vice versa. Right now, i'm collating all the feedbacks replies and will post it here soon.

5. JDI

JDI Entrepreneur

Btw guys, I've started marketing it through Blogger, Instagram & Twitter. Do check them out & spread around.
    Website: www dot thehikingsquad dot blogspot dot com (looks like i can't post it as a link)
    Instagram: @thehikingsquad
    Twitter: @thehikingsquad

I appreciate each and everyone of your help.
    Thank you.

6. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

One question: there are a lot of hiking groups on Facebook where all the newcomers are welcome. They don't charge anything. How do you plan to compete with them?

7. JDI

JDI Entrepreneur

@111kg, Thank You for the Question, what you say is correct and it's a really good question. This is my POV as a Hiker.
    1) I'm targeting beginner.
    - During the times I wanted to start Hiking, I tried to find hiking groups. Yes, there is a bunch of them but as a beginner, I felt insecure joining those big groups and they're usually advanced. So, I'll feel as if I'm slowing them down. Some people also don't feel comfortable in joining big groups.
    --> If you were to join me, my service will meet your needs. We will follow your pace, we'll provide you with hiking knowledge and my service is per hike, maximum is 4 pax. Why? So that we can give them more attention, especially regarding their safety. My team is equipped with first aid skills, so rest assured.

2) I'm targeting those who wants to get fit.
    - I used to be obese, 123kg and I hated running/jogging. I'm sure others are like this.

--> Now, I'm at a weight that I wanted, 75kg, I achieved this through weekly long Hikes instead of running. I've been in the obese shoes, so I understand how they felt. Losing weight through hiking is one of the easiest way because of the rough roads where you'll activate different parts of your leg muscles. Not only that but there are moments you go "high altitude", this will increase your cardiovascular faster. You may suffer inside but once you complete the hike, dopamine is released and you will want to hike more. If you take my service, there will be follow ups and I will provide you with my own personal tips and the most effective way to get fit.

3) availability
    - most of the times, those Facebook hiking group Hikes too early in the morning.
    --> my service will cater to your timing and we can do meet ups at the public transport (subways/bus) if you are unsure how to get there.

These are just some outlines and how we will begin. We have planned our next steps and how to make this service international like user, foodpanda etc.

So these are how we are going to compete with those free Facebook hiking groups. If it goes well, we'll go to phase 2. Does this answer your questions. Just ask if you have more questions, it really helps us alot.

Thanks @111kg

8. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

Have you tried posting your hiking tour on Meetup? They have a lot of group activities of this nature, might be a good place to gather some new clients. It has a social aspect too, for those who have no one to go hiking with.

I agree with what others have said re the angle you're pitching and the price. I like hiking, too and I think $10 is a fine starting point, especially if it is challenging enough or has a good enough view to be interesting while not being too difficult for a beginner.

The health of your hiker newbies is something to take into consideration, if you're going to push the 'lose weight' aspect. If you have people really overweight or obese (as you mentioned you used to be), they tend to walk very slowly and for short duration. Are you prepared for that, or for any of the possible problems that may arise? Do you have any first aid training, could EMS get to where you are hiking? That sort of thing.

JDI likes this.
  9. Griffin

Griffin Entrepreneur

Azgold raises some very valid and important points. I would suggest to not just have the certification, but also promote the fact that you have these certifications. List all your certifications on your website, as it adds to your reputation, putting you out there as a reputable company. Also consider listing hike counts, so as more people go on hikes with you, your experience taking people on hikes becomes more and more prominent.
    Are most of your customers locals? If they are, consider having discount rates in the form of plans for multiple hikes. (eg. 5 hikes for $40-$45)

azgold and JDI like this.
  10. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

You definitely know what you are doing. Congratulations and thank you for the post. It basically teaches anyone who would like to follow your foot steps what exactly should they follow. If there was a "best posts" section, your reply should be saved over there.

JDI likes this.
  11. JDI

JDI Entrepreneur

@azgold , Yeah, looks like Meetup is a good place to get in more people. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Yes, I'm prepared for the slow pace of the newbies or for those wanting to lose weight. I've tested going with 2 groups of friends, those who are physically fit and those aren't. The difference was 1 hour. Really need to expect the unexpected though.
    I do have basic First Aid knowledge and the 2 Hiking locations are easily accessible by EMS.
    Thank You for taking the time to read my thread and giving useful Insights :)

@Griffin , Nice! Why didn't i thought of that. Should "showcase" my certs & let them know my Hiking counts. Been Hiking for 4 years. Yes, mostly locals and that's definitely a good idea to input! was also planning to put referrals discounts.

12. JDI

JDI Entrepreneur

@111kg , I should be Thanking You :) You really made me think through.

13. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

You're welcome. :) Seems like a great place for you to gather people. I've seen lots of others doing that over the years. They don't advertise the business, per se, they attract people via offering a gathering of like-minds. But a lot of them have a fee to participate. Just seems kinda perfect. :) Don't forget to ask for testimonials for your website afterwards. :)

Re everything else, sounds like you've really done your homework and are prepared.

Very best of luck as you launch your business. Hope you'll let us know how it goes!

14. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

Well I certainly think that you have a valuable resource to offer and you are very knowledgeable about hiking and passionate as well. It really just takes determination and finding all of the help you can get to get started and build a client base, and then you can go from there. Launching a business is certainly the hardest part though, so you will need to be vigilant and well prepared in order to succeed.

JDI likes this.
  15. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

So, you plan to offer your hiking service only in the domestic location. What about hiking in international location, for instance in the Himalayas? Since you are targeting obese people as your customer, people who want to hike as an adventure will not be interested in your package.

JDI likes this.
  16. Digsby Trace

Digsby Trace Entrepreneur

I think the only thing that you emphasize here is the health benefit of hiking. Some people that are not health buff wouldn't fnd this interesting. You should also try to promote the adventure part of hiking as I know a lot of people who go for hiking to seek for adventure and to feel the achievement of climbing a mountain. Don't forget to think of your customer's health too. I heard an avid hiker who died while climbing the mountain. It prompt the management of the trail to ask for health certificate before letting someone go for a hike. It's inconvenient but helpful to avoid health risk for your future customer.

JDI likes this.
  17. JDI

JDI Entrepreneur

Glad that I posted a thread on this forum! Good feedbacks & vibe keeps coming.

@rz3300 yeah, i am definitely facing one of the many hardest part right now. Thanks for your kind words & comment.

@Vinaya.Ghimire At the moment, I will only be doing in my location, Singapore. I am planning to expand and build a network to Malaysia, Indonesia & Brunei if things goes well. Himalaya is definitely in my bucket list and different parts of the globe. I will need to build up my experience, network and financial first. I don't know how i'm going to manage it but i definitely will manage it. I'm targeting any customer that wants to hike but have no buddy to hike with. For obese customer, it's considered as a "special package" as i used to be one of them and i know how they felt or what they want. So, i can deliver my best service to them. Yeah, so thats about it.

@Digsby Trace Correct, i'm somehow emphasise on health benefits as for some reason, its an "in thing" here now in Asia. For Singapore, there's actually not much of an adventure for us locals as the hikes here at most the longest will take a day. Because of this downside, the best target audience for me is foreigners, health buff and first timer hikers. Only they will feel the achievement.
    True, their health is an utmost importance to me. I've also heard stories of a healthy fitness enthusiast died while doing their daily routine ( workouts, jog, hiking, etc ) At the registration form, i've included a "Health Declaration" section for them to fill in so that i could pay a closer attention to them.

Thanks guys for the helpful inputs, it really helps me a lot!

setupdisc likes this.
  18. setupdisc

setupdisc Moderator Entrepreneur

You may want to get a professional endorsement (or more than one) from someone who specializes in Crossfit or a Personal Trainer just to make it that much better of a sell to the public who are interested in trying it. One note of caution, however. Mentioning to people that hiking is effortless may or may not be ideal, since some people can see it as a challenge if they are overweight and are trying it out for the first time, while to most or many people it would be intermediate effort or effortless (if they have hiked before or are in somewhat good shape).

I would probably place an asterick on the effortless part, and then have a small description on literature at the bottom saying: "Endurance and exertion levels may vary. We can arrange hiking trips of different lengths to accommodate your individual needs as a beginning or an advanced hiker. Please contact us and see web site for further details" or something like that.

That way, they can't say that they thought it was easy and want their money back if they have a great difficulty doing normal activities and decide to be sour. What they are capable of or not is not your fault, even though the customer is always right in most instances. Be that as it may, you're always going to have that one contestant for People of Walmart that rolls around in a scooter _by choice_ who is going to completely try to blame you for what they refuse to accept personality responsibility in when it comes to their own physical ability level.

You're there to help them, and even to go out of your way to, but don't become the door mat to people like that because it can drag all the other customers and the entire business down when you have to cater to 1 instead of 20 who are not that way.

To avoid those situations, it helps to always be as clear and up-front as possible with them so that there are no assumptions on expectations, no matter how obvious it "should" be.

I was looking at a warning label and shaking my head at it the other day, but then I remembered why they have to put those labels on there. There are people who have done those things and tried to blame the company for their actions. So as always, better safe than sorry.

On the other post for the naming convention, I mentioned that I really like your business for this and think it's an excellent way to get in shape, help others do the same, and make money doing what you love. You always have to watch out for that one bad egg in the few hundred dozen, but all in all it's good stuff. :)

azgold likes this.