BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. TobiasW

TobiasW Entrepreneur

I'd be interested to know what issues have confronted those of you who have made this move, not in terms of finance and taxes and national insurance and other legal stuff, but in terms of allowing someone else access to your business - your 'baby' - and having to explain yourself to a new workforce that will be depending on you for their livelihood.

What were the difficult bits and what was easier than you expected? Are any of you in this situation at the moment?

2. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

I've been staffing and outsourcing for more than forty years and I can tell you that you will develop a second skin and a sixth sense with staffing.

First, and most important, you need to have everyone sign non-disclosures and when appropriate also get a limited non-compete.

Next, make sure you have every responsibility written out in detail. Create a job performance sheet and set appointments to review with the staff member, team member, or outsource representative.

Scheduling is extremely important for you and every member of your team or staff. make certain that schedules are followed up on before deadlines and meetings.

Learn to cut the red and scale up the green. This is simply eliminating non-performers quickly. I'm not saying people can't make errors in their work or be forgiven for discrepancies and/or failures, however, if someone has a pattern for these then they need to be cut from the staff or team as quickly as possible.

As for explaining yourself to your workforce, change your perspective on this. You are not ever going to explain yourself to anyone working for you. You are their leader, you must adopt a professional leadership role. This revolves around very simple and profound principles to execute. Train/Motivate/Delegate/Inspect. Always take the high ground, always have a strong subtle demeanor, and always demonstrate humility and genuine interest in all of them. The people you want are those that understand and respect the leader that helps them grow, helps them feel valuable, and demonstrates acknowledgement for a job well done.

Michelle and pwarbi like this.
  3. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

Do your best to hire people that you actually like and get a trustworthy feeling from. Then, you won't be so afraid to hand over some of the responsibilities to because they will feel more like a trustworthy colleague or business partner.

You can also put new hires on a probation period to see how well they perform with personal/sensitive information and tasks. Do not give them access to too much too soon. See how well they handle knowing the password to one social media account, before giving them access to all the passwords to every social media account. Let them prove they can be trusted.

You can also give them work that you don't want to do anyway. When someone is doing the work that you don't like doing, you will be very happy to hand it over to them every day.

4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I am not an employer yet, but I agree that this new role of yours would be pretty difficult to handle. I suggest hire people you know could make a great contribution to your company/business, it's much better if they already have experience related to the job. Also, make sure they have got decent records, no issue of theft or being dishonest. As an employer, be very responsible. Don't be too strict but don't be too lenient or complacent as well.

5. nailah783

nailah783 Entrepreneur

I haven't had to do this, but I would think that it would be less stressful. Everybody is still working toward making the company the best it could be. I think the only changing factor would be how we move into the future.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

While I do think it's important to get along with the staff you employ, it's not the be all and end all, and as long as they are professional, good at their job, you can trust them then you don't have to necessarily like them.

I think that's the biggest mistake a new employer can make is just employing people they like, because also if it turns out they are incapable of doing the work then the people you like, are the hardest people to let go of as well.

7. nailah783

nailah783 Entrepreneur

My step father used to say that you can't be friends with people who you are in charge of. This carries some truth to it because people take advantage of friendships. You have to exude leadership, and it's hard to do that when you're friends with that person. You have to keep it business.

Michelle likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I do agree to some extent but sometimes situations arise that force you to be in charge of certain people you class as friends. If that happens then I think a sit down right at the beginning is needed to make sure boundaries are put in place and both parties know they have to seperate business from pleasure.

Michelle likes this.
  9. nailah783

nailah783 Entrepreneur

Well I said it was my step father who put it this way. If you have good friends and they are true friends they aren't going to try to take advantage of the friendship. You do have to put up boundaries at the beginning.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

Setting the rules and boundaries right from the start is important, and its a lot easier when people know where they stand all along in terms of of business.

Starting out too relaxed with your employees could make them think your too soft and begin to take advantage, and that's then a situation that is hard to get out of.

Michelle likes this.