BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Katapro

Katapro Entrepreneur

Has anyone ever have a mentor during their entrepreneurial journey? If so, what kind of help can you ask. What kind of relationship should you have with your mentor? What can be expected?

T J Tutor likes this.

2. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

Well first, we need to take a look at what a mentor is and what a coach is.

A mentor is someone that is dedicated to the success of an individual and generally selects the individual.

A business coach is dedicated to their business first and their coaching client second. A business coach is hired by an individual.

In short, a true mentor has no fees and selects the individual to be their protege based on their proven early stage development in a specific field. With a business coach it is strictly and transaction for training. Anyone that claims to be a mentor and charges you for it is only dedicated to you for as long as you pay. A true mentor is in it to the finish and expects no payments.

I have had mentors in my life. I've been blessed in that regard. In each case it came through my networking at meetups and conventions and attracting professionals in the fields that were impressed with me and my accomplishments. In every case they made the offer to groom me. Not Once did I ask. Not in one case did I have to pay for their guidance. Each of them was deeply involved in every aspect of my development daily.

Per Webster:
    The mentor may be older or younger, but have a certain area of expertise. It is a learning and development partnership between someone with vast experience and someone who wants to learn.

The person in receipt of mentorship may be referred to as a protégé (male), a protégée (female), an apprentice or, in recent years, a mentee.

I've had this discussion many times in our forums. Most Newbies ask for someone to mentor them when in fact true mentors are selecting their proteges and not taking applications for them. Newbies simply do not understand that a mentor is going to dedicate an abundance of their valuable time to a one on one relationship with the protege and will effectively be involved with every aspect of their life and business in order to affect the changes in the proteges life to reflect the mentors skills, knowledge, and position which results in the proteges growth and success.

If you have someone offering to be a mentor, be sure it's real. If it is, be sure to be at your best, be humbled, and be grateful as it is truly an honor when a recognized and successful professional offers to groom you.

If you are seeking out a mentor, well there is no fishing gear to lay the groundwork for this. The only way that you can attract the attention of a true mentor is to stand out in your field as a young entrepreneur and to build a relationship with them in hopes they turn their thinking towards you as a candidate. If you can do this, do not pitch them, wait for them to make the offer.

The alternatives are communities like this, conventions, and meetups that can produce strong networking opportunities. To be honest, this is the most successful and most commonly used path to get the attention of professionals in your field to recognize you as a peer and this usually results in their including you in their inner circles where you will learn an abundance and really move you forward dramatically in your field. I have also taken this path many times and it is a strong and recognized path in most fields of business.

Build relationships, be valuable to those relationships, and when their impressed they will open the doors to the inner circles where you can move up with greater ease.

Valsthrivers likes this.