BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Lucrative way to sell music online?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing and Promotion' started by Teahi, Jan 19, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Teahi

Teahi Entrepreneur

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I've already asked a question, but here's another one.

Is there a way that you know of where a person can really make a substantial amount of money selling music online?
    I already have the original music, I just need info on how to effectively sell it. I want it to be one of the ways I make a living (in addition to writing books), not just a hobby.

Please assist, thanks.

Zac Johnson likes this.

2. davide strina

davide strina Entrepreneur

so to tell you that but must of people get the free music online... they do not pay for that

3. Zac Johnson

Zac Johnson Entrepreneur

Selling music is tough, but it also depends on the type of music you are selling. If you are creating music that can be used in production and media, it wouldn't be a bad idea to look into services like Royalty Free Music - Sound Effects - Stock Audio | AudioJungle where you can upload audio clips, then sell them on a royalty percentage basis.

Other options for selling music are soundcloud.com and soundgine.com, but more performers are releasing their music free and on youtube and making money off performances and paid gigs.

Another option is to look at content locking your music, which would require people to download an app or complete an action to get your music for free. The monetization here is affiliate marketing and you earn a commission on each referred lead.

Teahi likes this.
  4. William Clements

William Clements Moderator Business Owner Entrepreneur

@Zac Johnson, Glad you mentioned about content locking as I am the owner of an affiliate network myself and have an content locker!

5. Federico.Gimeno

Federico.Gimeno Entrepreneur

It may sound as joke, but you could create a set of "commercial enough" tracks, and submit them to radio (online or not). Contact night club owners and present them the material. Sell your work in a per-song basis.

Teahi likes this.
  6. davidper

davidper Entrepreneur

This issue is currently very little $ you can sell it when people sing it well-known and influential

7. jona

jona Entrepreneur

Well, I don't know about the "substantial" part, I thing that has to do more with the quality of the music that you are producing and not so much with the actual service that you are going to use to distribute it.

You could consider launching a YouTube channel to gauge the response of people to your music and then monetize your videos, you are not going to face any copyright problems since you are uploading original works.

If people start noticing you and like your stuff maybe you could consider opening a Patreon account where people are going to be able to support your work directly.

Once again, how much can you make out of this, let alone make a living out of it is going to depend on the quality of your product and how well you promote your channel. Don't be discourage by the large amount of YouTube channel, there is always room for one more if what you are bringing is good enough.

8. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

It's just sad for composers because of the flood of music in the internet. It is only now we are seeing that many composers who are equally talented like the famous songwriters. And they are also creative. But unfortunately, too much supply cancels out the value. That means there is no clear prospect to sell the songs right now. My husband has 300 compositions and he had won in some songwriting contest, even winning the grand prize in one government sponsored contest. But his songs are only in his computer, no prospective market.

9. jona

jona Entrepreneur

But what is stopping him from sharing this with the world? I understand that there is an oversupply of music right now, but also the price for distributing music is also zero now. I would encourage him to upload all that to Soundcloud or something. It would be a real shame for these pieces to simply lay dormant inside some hard drive if he is indeed so talented.

Corazon likes this.
  10. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

If you don't have any reputation, it is really hard to sell music and money good money. These days most of the people prefer to download free music or download illegally. One way to sell music is partner with singers and and lyricists to create music and make money by selling the track.

11. Bonyi

Bonyi Entrepreneur

I don't really know of any site like that. Why don't you try slicethepie. Since they review music, they may also be able to buy or help you sell. Another option is to google sites to sell music and I'm sure you may get one where you can sell.

12. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

For making use of his music, he uses it as sound track of some videos he makes for family occasions and have the uploaded on youtube. When he is in the mood, he makes videos like mtv. The last mtv he created last year was the one with the title Drumming Dream which got just 74 views. And he had created 7 exercise songs for me and they are also all on youtube. I don't think he knows Soundcloud but I will tell him.

13. jona

jona Entrepreneur

Well, that's one of the major Myths of YouTube, that you are going to have thousands of views when the reality is that you have to share and promote your video like crazy to gather any kind of viewership, you should never feel discouraged by the fact that your views are low, that's not a reflection on the quality of the content.

Corazon likes this.