BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Learn to Question, Question to Learn

Discussion in 'Mindset and Motivation' started by Take Career of Yourself, Sep 30, 2015.

Do you have a student mentality?

1. Yes - I act like a child.

100.0%
  2. Yes - I learn from whoever is in front of me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No - I hate kids.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.

Share This Page

1. Take Career of Yourself

Take Career of Yourself Entrepreneur

EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A STUDENT MENTALITY.
    Having a student mentality does not mean that you can’t pay any attention in class because Todd is going to fight Curtis at playtime. That’s just a regular mentality – we all want to see Todd fight Curtis, because Curtis needs punched in his stupid face.

A student mentality is an open mind that stays open, regardless of who is teaching it. This is not to imply that you should believe everything you’re told (only if you read it here). It is wise to apply critical thinking to all new information. But at the same time, you should be willing to learn from absolutely anyone.

I used to work for a direct marketing firm, traveling town to town, generating leads for home improvement companies. It was one of those entry-level, commision-only jobs, but it is where I developed much of the foundation of my sales skills. I was around 22 at the time, but I was still older than many of my co-workers.

I could have played the seniority card and told those whippersnappers to stay the hell off my lawn. If I had done so, I would have probably only learned how to learn nothing. Some of the younger sales reps were the smartest, hardest working, and most successful. So, instead, I let them show me the ropes, gaining a unique strategy from each one of them, and was able to hone my skills more quicklier. Probably even the most quickliest.

Read more here: http://takecareerofyourself.com/2015/09/30/learn-to-question-question-to-learn/

dyanmarie25 likes this.

2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I really love your post. There's some rawness in it; I think everyone could relate to it in one way or another.

Thanks for sharing. Highly motivating.

3. Take Career of Yourself

Take Career of Yourself Entrepreneur

Thank you!! I really appreciate the kinds words. I'll be honest, I wasn't sure how everyone would take it. But, seriously once you notice the similarities between all of the garbage that's out there, it becomes more and more noticeable just how much there is.

You might like this article I came across yesterday (not mine): michael crichton: why speculate? | Larvatus Prodeo

This part stood out to me the most. It's scary how we can easily notice that the media is full of shit when they talk about a subject that we are familiar with, but once they talk about something we are not familiar with, we just take their word for it:

"Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.
    "

4. harpazo22

harpazo22 Entrepreneur

I believe I do have a student mentality quite a bit. I love to learn and I try not to be biased by who is teaching me. I'm open to hear all people's points of views.

5. anish

anish Entrepreneur

Having a student mentality is quite good and this makes you always humble to get learn from everyone.
    IMO, if you get some knowledge from anyone even from a child can get something then take it. "Knowledge/Information never harms".

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I think it's definitely important to realise that you don't know everything, even if you think you do, and you have to be open and willing to listen to new ideas and different ways of doing things.