BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Dave Pin

Dave Pin Entrepreneur

We pay money to be educated to only then get mediocre jobs and earn an average wage for the rest of our days. What is your opinion on education?

Rusnal2 likes this.

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I wouldn't say that education is a scam as such, but I do take your point that a lot of people won't go on to achieve the success they think they might.

Learning what your interested in and learning something to get a job can be two different things unfortunately.

3. Griffin

Griffin Entrepreneur

Coming from the perspective of a student, I think that the current education system from Elementary School until University is a complete mess. I wouldn't call it a "scam", but it is terrible.

K likes this.
  4. K

K Entrepreneur

Care to elaborate?

5. Apolloniac

Apolloniac Entrepreneur

Oh education is important-- but it's how you get it and what you do with it that counts. Didn't finish college? then read books that are in your best interest. Starting a business but don't know where to start? Research and study. Education comes in different forms you don't need to spend a lot to be successful you just need to work hard on it and put all your focus in pursuing that goal.

6. Griffin

Griffin Entrepreneur

Yeah, was tired when I wrote that post, kind of lazy mood. :p
    Anyways, elaborating on what I said, the following are some problems that I have identified with education.

English
    English is a terrible course. Teachers can be extremely subjective, and what can get you a 90 in one class with one teacher can get you a 68 with another. This subjectivity creates an unclear boundary and line upon which a student should follow when utilizing different writing techniques in the future.
    Secondly, Shakespeare. It's 500 or so years old. Give it up. Things change, realize it. Universities are starting to drop Shakespeare, but high schools are still holding onto it fast. I recently wrote an essay on this (for English) :eek:.

"Shakespeare. It’s a word that makes scholars giddy and students glum. His works are arguably magnificent and ground breaking for his century, and were enjoyed by many ….about 400 years ago. Now Shakespeare is a piece of literature forced upon students throughout high school. The 21st century is such a bold timeframe of change. Do we care about entertaining the scholars and abiding by tradition, or do we care about our students actually learning? Shakespeare needs to go if we want all students to have an effective education in English that they enjoy and remember.

Shakespeare is 400 or so years old, and we are still being taught it in the 21st century. Meanwhile, as the Washington Post reports, “English majors at the vast majority of the country’s most prestigious colleges and universities are not now required to take an in-depth Shakespeare course…”. If some universities have completely removed Shakespeare, and others have removed a sizable portion of it, why are high schools (a lower form of education relative to university) still teaching it? As Washington Post also mentions, other things that should have some influence regarding change in the English curriculum have not changed. There are many more students of different cultures and ethnicities today and Shakespeare, being an English author, is simply not relevant or relatable. Society has changed and evolved, yet the English curriculum hasn’t. It’s stuck in a continuous loop, and that loop needs to be broken.

English has many different core concepts that need to be mastered each year. Obviously this isn’t happening, as people constantly complain that today’s students cannot write an effective essay, or compose a grammatically correct sentence. These concepts can already be complicated. Similes, metaphors, alliterations, euphemism, hyperboles, imagery…those are just literary devices- and only a few of them! In Shakespeare, of course this is all hidden behind a nice camouflage of words like carlot, boggler, near-legged, foxship, and quatch. You can use SparkNotes and the like, but it is a time consuming and exhaustive process. Many people would be capable of grasping these concepts, but fail to do so because they are floundering under a complex sea of Shakespeare’s language and other techniques not used as commonly in present day. Actually, not just floundering, drowning. Instead of taking time to analyze what each sentence actually means, we should be achieving the goals set to learn the different literary concepts. When learning to write, students are not expected to master calligraphy, they are simply taught today’s version of script. In fact, many schools have dropped writing altogether- as they feel it is outdated and not used by today’s youth. Without Shakespeare, more modern literature would be brought in, with language that is easier to comprehend. Students will be able to learn more independently and will be able to focus on plots, symbols, and moral lessons – without the aid of a “crutch” such as SparkNotes. Students would have a better chance of mastering the literacy skills that educators want them to learn.

It’s said that emotions influence our work much more than the actual task at hand- which is why passion is so important when studying English. English can be commonly misconstrued as a boring subject. Many people never read for pleasure. The solution that our educational system has devised appears to be giving them boring texts so that they can ensure that students have no passion for the literature. If we introduce literature that suits this age group in a modern day context, students will be engaged, and will actually want to read the book. This passion will allow them to not only enjoy literature, but also absorb the key concepts of the English curriculum. Again, we use computers and calculators to assist our learning, not slate boards or abacuses.

To keep or not to keep Shakespeare? The answer is to not keep it. We can either continue to disengage students, or bring in modern day literature that will engage students while teaching the core concepts of the English curriculum for each respective grade. It’s time to focus on our students learning, and take the initiative to remove Shakespeare and bring in some fresh literature."

Now, moving onto the next point that I am sure runs a parallel to the thoughts of many others.

Are We Learning What's Useful?
    Education is dry. Boring. Plain. Come to class, write notes. Learn only the core subjects that we consider fundamental for society. Because everyone needs physics, chemistry, and biology. Right? Right? (No).
    We need more engaging education that pertains to the stuff we will use in the future. Hands on activities need to be more prominent in classrooms.
    I have been considering a potential not for profit organization that would, in theory, run one hour lessons a few times a week. These classes wouldn't just be factual. They would link learned concepts to potential future uses. They would engage our students into in-depth thinking, yet simplistic projects that would make them not just more educated, but better learners. It's something that I hope to toy around with.

Those are my two main points. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

K likes this.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

Same sentiments here.

It's just like a cycle. We go to school so we could get a decent job in the future that would help us pay the education of our children.

Griffin likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

The education system is flawed, but there are too many cooks ruining the kitchen so to speak. There's school governors, teachers, parent services, education officials, education welfare officers and the list goes on and on, all trying to have an input into what children need to learn, and I bet half of them don't even have children of their own.

Surely what's learned in school should be relevant and useful to that child's life and set them up for their future. Classes about Shakespeare and algebra aren't doing neither of them things in my opinion.

9. Devesh Chaudhary

Devesh Chaudhary Entrepreneur

I don't think so... For a person like me.. Who was raised in rural parts of india... Education and knowledge was the only thing.. Which helped me reach this point... That now i am writing my own opinion in a foreign language....
    So yes it is a blessing atleast for me (and there are millions here like me )
    And at the same time it can be considered as scam for those who are already developed (or we can say who have already initiated ).. and for those to whom english is not a foriegn language... !

10. harpazo22

harpazo22 Entrepreneur

Education should not be nearly as expensive as it is, or it should be free. Because you are right, people don't get paid enough. Rates for living keep getting higher and higher. People get more and more greedy. You can't really get anywhere, just stuck doing the same thing over and over. You can't get ahead.

11. TobiasW

TobiasW Entrepreneur

From the moment we take our first breath we are being educated. We learn first the fundamental things, where the food comes from, how to get warm and stay comfortable.

As we grow our education encompasses communication, negotiation, knowledge acquisition - and all those before we even get to nursery school.

Education is what you make of it. Yes, employers are looking for educational standards - for example it saves them having to interview people who cannot read and write in a particular language for posts that require those skills - however employers nowadays are beginning to look for more than standard educational stuff. Yes, to get a job you have to be equipped physically and mentally to perform the required tasks. However, an employer, given the choice between someone with incredibly high grades and someone who's got the basic grades and has done, again, just an example, voluntary work every summer through school may well take the second candidate.

Certainly education is expensive, but even University level courses are available online for free now. You are never too old to learn and with those, you learn what you need and what interests you. You are not on the scrap heap at eighteen because you didn't finish school with great results or go to college.

Try putting yourself in the employer's shoes for a minute. What sort of person do you want to employ? Someone with an enquiring mind and a can-do attitude? I suspect so!

12. TobiasW

TobiasW Entrepreneur

What's stopping you from doing it Griffin? Why do you only 'hope to toy around with' it? You have some very valid points here.

Much education is, in my opinion, just plain lazy. We /do/ need to know the background behind things, but nowadays we can look them up in an instant, although we need the wits to know what's true and what isn't!

Sitting in an examination room writing an essay is not going to help us solve real life problems, but creating interactive and interesting educational interventions and then setting forms of examination that test the learning of students in a robust and equal manner is a hard task.

It needs young, progressive people like you, with enthusiasm for change and fire in their bellies to solve and find solutions for these hard tasks. Come on - you sound as though you have some real interest and ability here! I really look forward to seeing your plans for getting to grips with improving the situation. I'm sure there are others on board here who would help in the venture. Go for it!! : -)

Griffin likes this.
  13. Rusnal2

Rusnal2 Entrepreneur

Wage slavery. It is a aggregate from the economy. It does help someone that needs a wage. Then the ever growing segments of the many facets of the economy. It is definitely better to become a person who if educated with a degree or educated with life and experience. Both should observe, think and grow. Even in the best of times or worst of times. There is opportunity. With the information age. For those that are willing. It is just at the beginning. This coupled with immerging technology and many other niches and parts of this activity are all start from individuals. We all have brains. Once your idea engine kicks in. Get ready to generate your own income off of value added services and ideas.