BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. MsTrepreneur

MsTrepreneur Entrepreneur

Has anyone ever used HeplX.com? If so, what were your experiences like? If not, what are some sites & tools you use to make your travel more wallet friendly?

2. ruener79

ruener79 Entrepreneur

I haven't heard of that site, and when I checked it out, it's a deadlink. Anyway, for cheap traveling I always do my own research. So, I visit different blogs and get tips from the writers. I like visiting blogs more as they give you a real perspective on the expenses. From their own travel experiences, you can sort of determine how you can do it your way and save in the long run.

3. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

I have never used it, I also followed on the link and it did not work.
    I recommend the following websites to save money while traveling:

• Kayak.com - Helps you find the cheapest flights
    • SkyScanner.net - Another good flight search site
    • CouchSurfing.org - You can join the couch surfing community which helps you to "surf" on couches around the world. It is the cheapest option for accomodation, but you have to be active in finding hosts
    • Agoda.com - I had a great time with this website, it helped me save lots of mone with accomodation and they sometimes run "mystery" hotel deals where you can stay at a 5 star hotel for cheap. I had a great time with them when I went to Thailand, and it saved my butt when I had to change hotels last minute
    There are tons of other ways to save money while traveling too like eating where locals eat, avoiding tourist traps, sleeping in hostels, hitchhiking, taking the bus etc.

4. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

My husband and I travel a lot and I am a bit dependent on Booking.com for accommodation. In Kuala Lumpur last year, we were able to be booked in Majestic Hotel, a 5-star for $100 per night which included buffet breakfast. It was the best hotel that we had stayed in all our travels. For plane tickets, we check the websites of airlines (Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines and Cathay Pacific) for possible promo tickets. Last February, we attended a travel expo where we bought our plane tickets for Bangkok last month and also to Singapore in October. Since 2013, we always have traveled with discounted plane tickets.

Ladyferoz likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

When it comes to travel, skyscanner as always been the site that I've turned to for cheap flights, and they've never let me down yet.

These days there are more and more travel sites appearing and its hard to know which is the best to deal with. As long as you make sure that they are regulated though, you should be safe enough, and if anything does go wrong then at least you have something to fall back on.

6. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

This is another great tip, I keep small flight websites in my bookmarks and visit them at least once a week to check for any deals. I have scored amazing deals in the past for domestic flights. I live in China so the top websites include air china, spring airlines, and qunar.com. It will depend on where you leave, local flight companies often run good promotions.

Corazon likes this.
  7. CheckTheNumbers

CheckTheNumbers Entrepreneur

Always ask the locals, that doesn't get enough credit. Locals always know better deals than whatever some website will advertise on travel sites, especially in foreign countries. It's a thing, the things that are sold are usually good enough to have markups, hotels, restaurants, events, etc. Locals know what's up.

pwarbi likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

Asking locals is definitely a good way to keep costs down, and I myself have done exactly that but even in my own country.

I once attended a conference in London and it was for 4 days. The prices of everything was extortionate and after only one day of paying for overpriced meals and drinks, I was talking to a guy who was attending the conference but lived just round the corner.

It's safe to say that I spent more in that first day than what I spent the rest of the week thanks to his knowledge of the area.

Ladyferoz likes this.
  9. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

They had a saying in my home town/city which is well frequented by tourists, that the shops can smell tourists. They just had a sense of wonder at everything, they dressed differently compared to the locals, and they looked so dazed. Not to mention they carried huge cameras around their necks, just by that alone, the merchandise was exorbitantly priced. A shirt that cost me $10 will cost the tourist $80 with a smile. You have to be streetwise.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

Oh the shop owners can definitely see a tourist coming. It's a bit like how the locals know not to shop in certain stores aswell though if you live in a tourist area.

The locals will walk past the tourist shops and buy what they need from the back street stores. If you spot one, follow them and find out where they're going. You'll save yourself a fortune.

11. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

I've never heard of it either. I've used Expedia to find some good prices then compare them to other sites, such as Kayak, trivago or Priceline. But I have no problem letting a travel agent lining things up for me, either.

12. Nathaneal

Nathaneal Entrepreneur

Depending on what sort of travel you are doing & how long, you might be able to make money while on the go. That would help with your wallet. Usually, the most expensive part of traveling is where you are going to rest, If you can get over that hurdle, or lower it then you would be in the clear.

13. Digsby Trace

Digsby Trace Entrepreneur

When I travel, I try to make sure to support local business. I stay in local small hotels and inns and eat in local restaurants. It allows me to explore the culture of the people by talking to native and help the local people benefit from tourism. The best thing about it is I get to spend less because staying in local accommodation is sometimes cheaper than high class hotels.

azgold likes this.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

While I do understand what your saying and the sentiment behind it, I've always found that the local businesses are often the most expensive so if your on a budget it's not always the most cost effective thing to do, that's the only issue.

15. thedude

thedude Entrepreneur

On my next vacation I definitely want to fly somewhere for cheap. Cruises seem fun too but I think I would prefer going to Colorado in the summer for hiking and cannabis. I will book ahead and shop around different sites like kayak to get the best deal

16. Xerxes

Xerxes Entrepreneur

There are lots of possibilities out there for traveling cheap. These are what I know:

- Pasporta Servo. Is a hospitality service exclusive for Esperantists. If you are fluent in
    Esperanto, you can express interest to a host and arrange the number of days and
    guests this person is willing to receive in his/her home. Is more based in cultural
    exchange than a way for traveling cheap. But is a valid option.

- Couchsurfing. Similar to Pasporta Servo but focused in social networking. People
    willing to open their home for travelers are expecting to share cultural views, language
    learning or anything they can think about. Pretty flexible.

17. azgold

That's why I like all-inclusive, if I'm staying at a resort. :)

18. azgold

Is this safe? Is there a way to check out the host beforehand, make sure they aren't psycho, theives or something?

19. Travelingsarah

Travelingsarah Entrepreneur

I'm not sure if anyone checks this, but I'm a travel agent. I do not charge anything. But if I can book your trip I can make a commission on the hotels and stuff. Please let me know

20. azgold

Hi, Sarah. You should add your company to the Resources section.