BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Kevin A

Kevin A Entrepreneur

As titled I wanted to get some advice or anything that can help me in my current situation.

So I was running a cleaning business, bought a pick-up truck after I closed some post construction clean-up contracts which boosted my business more which of course I was happy about. So then I got unfocused in doing my marketing and the whole thing went down the drain. I take full responsibility. I been reading a lot of Brian Tracy well first book How to be self-decipline by Brian Tracy. So now I went to the library and my friend got me the unlimited sales success by Brian Tracy which I'm excited to read. The thing is now that I'm in these moment in my life where I got a baby on the way and already have my 3 year old daughter, now there hasn't been stable income we been selling things online and are wanting to buy some merchandise from China and start a little warehouse. 2 weeks ago I got a deal on Craigslist some online store was closing and she sold a lot of toys for $10 board & family games. So I drove down there but had the toys for like a week and wouldn't sell and I needed money and I went to the mini market sold at whole sale price made $26 really fast. Also I was just BS but I told the mini market owner i had more merchandise and she gladly asked what I had to offer.

So yeah that was just a small story.

OK now the thing is my girl is 8 month pregnant and well my girl can't work so we're stuck. Because we been broke for like 8 months now we been investing but the money just isn't growing we have a bad habit of spending which I recently noticed by reading Brian Tracy. So now I got a job at a burger place just yesterday and I was OK with the job nothing new to me since I worked like 4 years in my younger days. which I have 3 years experience working in the kitchen. So of course I got the job. So I'm getting the night shift Thu-Fri 11pm-7am also my first job was Jack In The Box night shift. Back to where I started. So now this is the decision I want to know if taking it right

I can get paid $10 an hour work for 8 hours 4 days. I also don't want to work in the night because I work night shift that I know the side effects it comes with and I am scared it would interfere with what I am working on.

Also I was been an employee and it was so hard to depend on my business when I first started like I had to learn to be independent. Now should I keep doing business or be back to work?
    I love what I'm working on to do this warehouse business I been focusing in the product I'm selling but it requires money which I don't have, also I have child support please help if you need info please ask

2. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

You appear to be very disorganized in your thoughts and your plans. You don't seem to me to be focused. You are bouncing around without true direction.

Your married, have a child and another on the way. You need to get a solid and dependable job and get stabilized before you make any independent business attempts.

A little tip. When trying to get the attention of business people, you must be well organized with your thoughts and writing. You also need to learn to use proper spelling and grammar. Otherwise, business people will not take you seriously.

3. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

I wonder why even with so many personal development book , movies, TV serials , Daily news paper and living examples, yet we are searching a pin in the haystack.

@Kevin A , see if this below words of Will Smith help you in getting in line and taking things one at a time.

“The keys to life are running and reading. When you're running, there's a little person that talks to you and says, "Oh I'm tired. My lung's about to pop. I'm so hurt. There's no way I can possibly continue." You want to quit. If you learn how to defeat that person when you're running. You will how not to quit when things get hard in your life. For reading: there have been gazillions of people that have lived before all of us. There's no new problem you could have--with your parents, with school, with a bully. There's no new problem that someone hasn't already had and written about it in a book.” - Will Smith

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    azgold likes this.
  4. Red

Red Entrepreneur

Kevin, I understand your situation. You can still do business. I do have a bit of bias, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

You need money to live on. You also need money to do business. Every entrepreneur starts here. When I started my first business, I did it part-time on the side of 3 jobs I had that was supporting my family and my venture. Two of those jobs were overnight. I also had a cleaning business that had daytime and overnight contracts.

You said you're only working 4 days. That leaves you 3 full days to start your business. You can also take a few hours the 4 days you're working to operate your business part-time those days (say 8am - 12pm).

Now, as far as the warehouse business goes, what country do you live in? Find products you can get wholesale and sell retail made in the country you are from. I say this because many Chinese products just aren't worth it for various reasons and buying/reselling products from your own country will create jobs in your country and boost your economy. As far as pricing goes, some will be cheaper than Chinese counter-parts and some more expensive. But if you market the right way, you will be able to sell. If you can convince someone they need it, it won't matter what the price is - they'll take it.

When your business is able to support itself and your family, quit your job and do your business full-time.

5. Kevin A

Kevin A Entrepreneur

Thank you for the support. I actually saw that I didn't have the right decipline to run a business. So I didn't work at the place I said here but I did work in a Chinese restaurant, now I learned that why am I still here where I started why can't I do what I want to do ? I saw I didn't have the self-decipine taking my business serious. Now let me just share this small story I went to work at this job getting paid $6.50 an hour in 2016 for one day I got $70 which I quit the next morning got the $70 went to buy wholesale products made $350 the next day, then went again made $240 which 20% I reinvested and now I'm bootstrapping again creating a new business

6. Kevin A

Kevin A Entrepreneur

@Virtualglobephone

Thank you it did I actually saw a quote from Dwayne Johnson that said

When things get tough don't say why me say Try Me

I been working hard. Also I can't believe I almost killed myself mentally on Monday by Wednesday I'm making new life changes thank you

7. Kevin A

Kevin A Entrepreneur

I truly agree with getting a solid job and about better Grammer. But I dropped out to young 16 to be exact. Also the job part I won't be rich never working for someone and I did try it but like Warren buffet said do something you like and I currently found a product that I love and believe in the value of it and made some good cash selling it as a street vendor also I am starting to wholesale the product.

8. Hassan

Hassan Entrepreneur

Not an expert on losers but after reading some of your posts. The thing i have come to admire about you is that despite your laziness and you being disorganised, you still get up and try something new. That is the main difference between you and a looser.
    In my opinion its more about the journey than the destination in life.
    Keep us updated with your ventures.

azgold likes this.
  9. CM_2016

CM_2016 Entrepreneur

I have heard time and time again, "it's not how much money you make, but how you spend it." If you make a budget and every dollar has a name, I think it will help control your spending and give you an idea of what is "essential" to live and what is not and may allow you to focus your spending on your business.

If you need professional financial advice, I highly recommend Dave Ramsey's works. He has great tips on spending, saving, etc.

VirtualGlobalPhone likes this.
  10. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

@CM_2016 ; One of the reality in full planning is 'its always for past'. So the trick is just have very basic one and keep moving ahead is it not ?
    Its like this ; when you need vegetables to cook you can only plan that you can go to nearest wallmart and go to that specific section. Rest all is driven by many factors which you have no control over. Just a thought ...!

11. CM_2016

CM_2016 Entrepreneur

I completely agree there are a TON of outlying factors that we have no control over, but there are alot that we do have control over.

Sticking to an "every dollar has a name" kind of budget is definitely difficult, but in order to get out of debt quickly you almost have to do that. Start by identifying each area of spending, how much you spend in it, how much you absolutely NEED to spend in it in order to live (i.e. rent, food, gas, car insurance, etc.), then what areas you can cut out completely or lessen the expense (can you car pool, use public transportation, bike, or walk to work to save on gas) then start building an emergency fund for those surprises that come up (i.e. car breaking down, medical expenses, etc.) all while using extra money that comes in to pay down your debt or build up your other business.

azgold likes this.
  12. Cameron Hunt

Cameron Hunt Entrepreneur

Hey man,

You seem to be all over the place, but you're still doing what you can and that's great.

I'd suggest you get a regular income first and invest the free time (not the money quite yet) in learning more about how to run your own business. Save some money so you don't have to worry about not having enough to provide to your kids and slowly invest here and there.

It's a slow process but we've all been there and it'll be worth it in the end!

Cam

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016