BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Federico.Gimeno

Federico.Gimeno Entrepreneur

I work at a TI office for a living. Most of the time I leave the office really tired. I'd like to hear from you guys some tips about how to overcome that and boost motivation for my other projects. From taking multi vitamins to practicing some kind of meditation.

What do you do to stay motivated and focused in your endeavors after long hours of boring / hard work?

Thanks in advance.

2. MoonMan

MoonMan Entrepreneur

It is hard. It is really hard. A "regular job" that you are not passionate about can suck the energy from you!! How to stay motivated to build something else, after you finish? Well, you have to have a big enough why. Ask yourself "WHY do I want to build this business?" or "WHY do I NEED to build this business?" The answers will often motivate you to figure out how and provide the energy needed to do so. You need a big enough WHY?!?

setupdisc and Federico.Gimeno like this.
  3. Griffin

Griffin Entrepreneur

I have to do this with school on a slightly smaller scale (8:00am-3:00pm). I listen to music during breaks to kick my energy back up, and keep on going. It's tough, but you can definitely get through it.

4. Digsby Trace

Digsby Trace Entrepreneur

I work more than eight hours with a minimum pay. It's devastating but better than being unemployed. I usually go out with friends for a coffee. No matter how tired I was after a long shift from the office, I always try to meet up with my friends. I feel relax when laughing and talking with them. I also listen to music and drink tea during break and if the workload is not heavy. Green tea has antioxidant that makes people calm and relax. You can also try walking or running during weekend off. Being around nature gives a calming effect to stress people.

5. Federico.Gimeno

Yeah, it's all true guys. The big why is "in order to leave my current job and live off something I love to do instead", that's what should keep me motivated, but not always happen. Music and meeting with friends is a must in my weekly routine, I'd be dead by now if i didn't do it, definitely haha.

I think we humans are not meant to be enclosed in a 1x1 cubicle working our a** out for 8 hours a day, making someone else rich.

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments :)

setupdisc likes this.
  6. Michelle Bondesio

Michelle Bondesio Business Owner Entrepreneur

In the meantime, while you find "the job you love to do", here are two ways to help you cope with where you are right now. I know it may seem counterintuitive to do exercise when you are already feeling exhausted after a long day's work, but I find there are two things that always work for me when I need the energy or motivation to keep going, or need to calm my mind after a frenetic day.

1) get out for a walk (at least 30 minutes), preferably in nature, but if not a walk around your neighbourhood will do too :)) It gets the blood pumping and helps your mind unwind from the day.

2) do some yoga stretching (at least 30 minutes). It helps create focus as you are concentrating on your poses and the stretches and breathing help relieve tension and also energise.

Give it go :)

7. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

Well this is certainly a problem that I have had throughout my working career. The key for me is to have a little reward for making it through the day. In the past it used to be the unhealthy stuff, but luckily I have kicked most of those habits so now I just look forwards to a shower and sometimes a good workout. It is small, but any little thing that helps is pretty crucial to me.

setupdisc likes this.
  8. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

In short, I've never had a 9 to 5. However, I have employed many hundreds of shift oriented personnel through the years. I have always instantiated routines in my businesses, with staff and employees, that contribute to their alertness.

Light exercises when you are able will help keep your heart rate up. In the end, if you are bored with your job, maybe you need to find a way to make a vertical or lateral move in your profession, it may help with those boredom blues.

setupdisc likes this.
  9. Federico.Gimeno

So, do you let your employees to rotate between / pursue new roles? That is what I would ask for in this type of jobs. One is likely to master a given role pretty quick if serious enough, and therefore get bored. People should be let to grow vertically or horizontally as you say.

In my current job this is pretty hard, so that means that I may have to start looking for a new job with better growing opportunities (or just go freelance).

setupdisc likes this.
  10. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

I no longer staff any brick and mortar businesses. I let go of all of that over a decade ago. However, I do outsource a great deal now. I am completely online now.

I was a brick and mortar businessman for over 30 years though and I did move people around in my businesses in order to keep them fresh and productive. I offered vertical and lateral training, we had yoga and gym facilities, and we had recreational programs as well.

You have to be in a happy place with your career in order to properly grow. Otherwise, you find yourself degrading as the result of unhappiness and boredom. These are both quite destructive, especially long term.

Make a change!

setupdisc likes this.
  11. Tyler Bell|MYB Revolution

Tyler Bell|MYB Revolution Entrepreneur

This is a problem I have at times too as I work in my part-time job. I usually find that taking a 20-minute walk before work relaxes me and keeps me really motivated through later times in the day. Also spending my mornings before work doing the things I like for personal development like reading, listening to podcasts, journaling, or planning out what I'm going to do for the day helps me. The ultimate motivator though is thinking that I only have to deal with my job until I get my business off the ground.

setupdisc likes this.
  12. loverman99

loverman99 Entrepreneur

Well, I know some people who work and live like this. Even friends of mine, I'd say. Well, they all say at first they felt frustrated but then got used to that lifestyle. Most of them are not much ambitious. Just regular people who found partners, settled down and started a family. Maybe, they're genuinely happy. I don't know exactly. But from another perspective it all looks boring.

setupdisc likes this.
  13. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

This is what scares me, settling into a mundane life. I have long studio classes that drain me, so I try and make them more interesting. I make the place a second home, pack a healthy lunch, decorate my space, listen to audiobooks if I have free time, and when I get home, I unwind for a few hours then get back working on my goals.

setupdisc likes this.
  14. onlinecashcity

onlinecashcity Entrepreneur

During or After work? During work I just stay busy, make lists, be sure to take breaks, and not work too quickly so I always have something to do. Focus and work steadily so you don't make mistakes.

If you find yourself that once you get home after your day, you are just really lethargic and don't feel inclined to do anything you planned to....you're not alone. That's me almost every day. During lunch I'll do something for a few minutes that I PLANNED to do at home just to get into that mindset. Once I'm home and know I worked on it but it's unfinished, I'll want to finish it. Or plan to do something really easy...like wash a few dishes or pay a few bills or something just to crank one little project out to get your motivation up.

But sometimes yeah, I just don't want to do anything. It's normal. Try incorporating a hobby after work so your mind can relax for a bit then maybe later in the day or another day you'll feel more motivated/inclined to do something else at times.

setupdisc likes this.
  15. setupdisc

setupdisc Moderator Entrepreneur

It's been over 15 years since I last saw the 9 to 5 grind like that. I'm not sure I could ever return to it unless it was part-time, and even then it might take away from all of the routine and goal expectations I have for each day if I did even temporarily.

Speaking of goals, that is one good way to overcome the monotony of redundant work or a daily but boring outlook at work. Before you go to work each day, try to look forward to something after work that makes it worth your while to do your day completely and make sure the job is well done to feel more that you have earned what you look forward to after work. Not only does this give more of a sense of completion, but it lets you have extra energy to get to what you really enjoy and keep up the energy levels to get through anything that isn't as exciting to you.

Give yourself a time frame and constantly tell yourself that any amount of time you have free after work or on a day off is time well spent and valuable to move in the right direction toward your bigger goals for the future.

When you have an incentive to do or get through the agenda of a day, you do even that more passionately than normal. You may be still a little tired after you get home, but remember that the job you do supports you so that you can have time to work on something more for the future, no matter how great or small that time allocation may be.

Try to do what you love between what you have to.

16. ruener79

ruener79 Entrepreneur

What I'll say may be one of those easier said than done stuff. But to me, the only way to get motivated in the office is to think outside of yourself. To focus on things and look at your work as boring, humdrum can definitely exhaust you! It will drain the energy out of you as you shift from doing something that will recharge you and back to actually doing your work.
    Recommit to practicing integrity at work. With that mindset, your focus is shifted to being a contributing member of the company instead of someone slacking off and consumed with boredom at work. Boredom to me sets in when you no longer find satisfaction and you can't find a sense of accomplishment in what you do. Try to remember that you are paid to do the work and should deliver regardless of boredom. Focus on accomplishing things, however boring the stuff may be, and do so as fast as possible. That way, you not only finish on time, but you can actually finish earlier and do away with unnecessary overtime. By then, you get to enjoy what awaits you at home or outside the office hours. Driving balance between office and home life is important to me in battling boredom at work.

17. Jack Benoit

Jack Benoit Entrepreneur

1 Whаt's yоur why, yоur pаssiоn, thе visiоn bеyоnd thе visiоn, аs I саll it? Yоu must hаvе а rеаsоn tо suссееd; оnе thаt tоuсhеs thе dееpеst lеvеls оf yоur bеing. Bеfоrе yоu bеgin еvеry prоjесt еxplоrе thе big piсturе. Why is it sо impоrtаnt tо yоu? Whаt will yоu lоsе if yоu dоn't kееp gоing? If yоu соmmit tо sоmеthing, just bесаusе yоu shоuld, yоu will lооk bасk upоn fаilurе.

2. Tаp intо thе еnеrgy оf оthеrs.

If yоu fееl tirеd, uninspirеd, еvеn likе giving up, I сhаllеngе yоu tо еxаminе thе mindsеt оf thоsе аrоund yоu. Dо соnvеrsаtiоns with yоur сlоsеst соmpаniоns rеnеw yоur еnеrgy оr drаin it? Dо yоu hаvе pеоplе in yоur lifе whо саn еngаgе in stimulаting соnvеrsаtiоn аbоut businеss оr thе оthеr things thаt yоu'rе pаssiоnаtе аbоut?Аs humаn bеings wе givе аnd rесеivе еnеrgy аnd inspirаtiоn. Mаkе surе yоu аrе rесеiving аs muсh, оr mоrе, thаn yоu аrе hаnding оut.