BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. FreelancingQueen

FreelancingQueen Entrepreneur

I have wanted to write my own children's books for several years now. I have great ideas, but really do not know where to get them published. I also live in a small town where there have not been many well known authors. Where does one begin when wanting to get a book published?

2. William Clements

William Clements Moderator Business Owner Entrepreneur

I found an cheat sheat that seems to only cover points on editing at Writing Children's Books For Dummies Cheat Sheet - For Dummies.

As for getting it published. You would need to find an publisher to go about that processes. Your other options would be to write your book and create and blog/website to promote your book and they can buy it on their. The above link gives some tips on this as well.

Other than that, I can say possibly promoting on Craigslist, traffic exchanges, safelists, & even becoming an Author on Amazon.com and sell them on there. You have many different ways to go about it. You would even put it up as "Buy Now" or auction on Ebay.

Either way you choose, you also need to think about if you are going to need to charge shipping (physical copy), Do I need to charge more? (Soft/hard cover), or even convenience of an E-Book.

Good Luck!

3. swalia

swalia Entrepreneur

Nowadays you have an option of self-publishing too. You can also consider publishing an e-book through amazon.

4. Errol Williams

Errol Williams Entrepreneur

There are many ways to publish a book. As a owner of a publishing house myself and someone who started through self publishing, I know it can be quite challenging. I will list the 3 most common ways

The most known and old way was writing your manuscript and having a publishing house pay you for your story. That is the fastest way I suppose to make money and it is the most well known way. However it is a very competitive world and unless your story is something they are specifically looking for, it's difficult to get their attention. They are likely to buy a story they think will make a profit on their end after all. So you have to cater your story to their wants and you may even have to change elements of the story that you may not want to. And you don't usually keep the rights to your story.

The other well known way is to self publish. I have done this and it is the way with the most control on your end. You publish exactly what you want and you have control over everything. It's the most costly time wise however, since you have to either do all the illustrations and editing yourself or pay someone to do that for you. If you want it in a store you have to go there and convince the store to take your book, or if it's a large company like say Kmart, you have to speak with their distribution company. I personally believe this is the most rewarding way if you make the effort, but it is really a lot of work.

The third way is to self publish through a publishing house. You pay a company like Authorhouse to publish your manuscript and you pay for the service you want. This can include illustrations, editing, and marketing. It's handy if you have the money to spend but not the time or will to do the other things. However it really can get very expensive depending on how far you want to take it and there is no guarantee of success. You keep the rights to the story also in case you want to go with another company or self publish by yourself. They take a huge chunk of the revenues also (60%), and they price the book as they feel. I published a children's book through Authorhouse and they priced it at $30 based on the specs, however I knew no one would buy a children's book that expensive but I had no say in that. The only way I could bring down the price is if I bought 2000 books for $14,000 which is a terrible deal across the board (again, those books aren't guaranteed to sell). I self published the book myself buying 500 for $2,500 and sold it at $17 and I kept all the profit.

I hope this is helpful, all 3 has its pros and cons so choose wisely.

5. eProject

eProject Entrepreneur

You can look online for publishers in your country. You then have to get somebody to proofread your work before you can consider publishing it. Talk to the publishers directly for the required fee before you can publish. You also need to know about copyrights and other legal procedures.