BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. K

K Entrepreneur

Where do you guys find your lawyers?

2. Kia Adams

Kia Adams Entrepreneur

Unfortunately, the legal services industry has not adapted itself to the changing trends of the century with respect to information technology. That's why you will find it relatively tough to come across quality lawyers through the internet. However, you can try Lawzam.com. They are quite a handy service provider, and I have used them twice. A. Travis and Thomas Springer are the two lawyers with whom I have interacted earlier on Lawzam. Because of their immense help, two people who copied content from my site on numerous occasions without written consent were penalized.

3. onlinecashcity

onlinecashcity Entrepreneur

Usually on infomercials at 3am....

I guess it would depend on the subject. I haven't needed one, but I do have people in my life who could direct me to somebody. For example, if there was an issue with money/income, I would call my accountant. While he's not a lawyer, surely he knows people in that field who could help me. For home issues, start with my realtor/mortgage consultant, etc.

Hope that makes sense.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

I usually just ask for referrals from my mom's colleagues. My mom works in a government institution and they have a department specifically for lawyers. So whenever we need some help with the rules and regulations or maybe we have experienced some injustice, we would just ask around for referrals for a great lawyer. They usually refer good lawyers that doesn't require much pay since they're public attorneys.

So in a sense, it's more of a word of mouth. I don't know of any website at all that specifically tells us about the list of good lawyers so I'm not much help there. This is the best way I know of finding good lawyers around.

MsTrepreneur likes this.
  5. thedude

thedude Entrepreneur

I would seek free legal advice on forums for general ideas. For documents and Llc type things check out legalzoom. A lot of common legal stuff can be done for cheap through legalzoom.

6. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

Well like anything else out there you have to do your research. It is tough though because it is one of those areas where you might not want to have someone who is recommended by friends or family, much like a financial person, just because of personal issues and those are best to keep professional. There are certainly ways to seek out good attorneys, though, and make sure that you specify what kind of law.

7. ruener79

ruener79 Entrepreneur

I haven't tried this one, but I saw an advertisement on Facebook before and two of my high school classmates who now live in the US seem to be using this one. The company is called Legal Shield. They seem OK, and worth a look. They're tagline is Worry Less, Live More. Anyway, here's top 3 FAQ from their website.

What is a legal service plan?
    For a recurring monthly or annual fee, legal service plans offer a variety of legal services from a network of attorneys for a low flat monthly rate. Prices and coverage vary depending on the plan you select.
    What is LegalShield?
    LegalShield has been providing legal service plans to North American families for over 40 years. Our customers can access legal counsel and advice from qualified lawyers simply by calling a toll-free number. Many other benefits are included, but even at the most basic level our plans allow you to have peace of mind.
    What law firm will provide my legal services?
    LegalShield has arranged for you to have a special law firm available to handle your legal needs. This firm has been screened, is monitored daily, and is ready to handle your legal matters with the interest and concern you deserve.

8. Nancy

Nancy Entrepreneur

I have found the best lawyers by asking others who they have used. Usually friends, family, and colleagues are happy to recommend or let you know if there were problems with a lawyer they have used. It is especially helpful if the person you ask used the lawyer for what you need them for (family law, business, probate, real estate, etc). Asking opinions saves you the time, money, and effort to start a search from scratch! You can usually weed out a few bad ones and come up with a short list of good ones to consider.

9. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

I am not English native, but I've always thought that there is no difference between lawyers and attorneys. Is there any difference?

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

While I'm no expert, I was told that a lawyer is just a person that is trained in the law and qualified in legal matters. An attorney is the same as a lawyer but will also represent people in matters like court.

So an attorney is always a lawyer as they have to be qualified but a lawyer isn't always an attorney because even though they're qualified, they may not represent people as such, and could just do background work etc.

11. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Entrepreneur

I haven't had to seek a lawyer out in a while, but I know there are many lawyer sites/directories that give the options for ratings and reviews within your area. Maybe you could start there?

12. MsTrepreneur

MsTrepreneur Entrepreneur

Google is your friend. I thing I learned is that they have a lawyer for just about anything u can think of. You should ask your friends and family, work partners, and people that are successful int he field you are seeking to thrive in. Also search engines are great. You will find feedback from on the service of the company or independent entity you are researching. The best way may be just asking somebody you know.

13. ruener79

ruener79 Entrepreneur

Here's an in depth answer from legalmatch.com to those who might be interested to know. I myself didn't know that there's a difference between a lawyer and an attorney. I've always thought they're synonymous and can be used interchangeably. I always have this notion that 'attorney' is just the American English for lawyer. Now I know. Thanks for pointing it out.

All attorneys are lawyers, but it is improper to say that all lawyers are attorneys.

Who Are Lawyers?
    A lawyer is someone who is educated in the law. A person who has been educated in the law will always be addressed as a lawyer, even if he or she does not give legal advice to other people. In fact, a lawyer in the United States is simply anyone who has gone through law school. However, the lawyer who has just completed law school may not be allowed to do certain legal jobs (e.g. representive you in court) until they successfully pass the bar exam that is conducted in the specific legal area they wish to practice.

Who Are Attorneys?
    Attorneys are also recognized as lawyers. Attorneys graduate from law school and they can also choose to practice law as a profession. However a potential attorney must pass the bar exam to be eligible to practice law within a specific jurisdiction. Apart from performing the basic functions of a lawyer, attorneys can also act as legal representatives for their clients. An attorney does not just interpret the law; he or she also applies his knowledge of the law to provide the needs of his client. Attorneys act as lawyers but not all lawyers can perform the work of attorneys.

14. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

Oh, I see. Fair enough. Thanks for the reply. Therefore, it's advisable to ask for the services of an attorney rather than the services of a lawyer, right?

15. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

I've always looked to my largest competitors and called their firms. I can usually get some excellent information on firms competing for clients in the same industry that way. Then I set appointments and and interview them. I've been doing this for decades. It's basic prospecting. I do this with vendors, staff, employees, outsourcing, etc.

Once you have narrowed down the field, there are a number of options for vetting them further. Most of the firms (get a firm, and not a single lawyer practice) will have plenty of options to give you the information you need and can confirm without revealing clients names and other confidential information. If they don't or can't, they are not likely prominent enough.

You want a firm with panache, respect, and a long reputation!