BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Shishir Giri

Shishir Giri Entrepreneur

First impression is always important. What is your opinion on giving a professional first impression? How much impact does the way you dress has on it?

setupdisc likes this.

2. James Fresh

James Fresh Entrepreneur

I think as a entrepreneur you shouldn't "Dress to impress" You should dress in your own way, dont dress all up in a formal way just to impress.. If you like dressing as a hipster, do that, just make sure you look fresh, groomed and such.

Be your own brand if you will, i would probably wear a suit, but i would probably wear a leather jacket and some stuffs at the same occasion.

Its about dressing good, not dressing to impress. if you know what i mean?

thedude likes this.
  3. thedude

thedude Entrepreneur

If it's a very hardcore corporate type of thing your going to, and EVERYONE is dressed up in suites, then you should probably dress the part. For casual business meetings, and many other events, I don't think it's necessary. Like James Fresh said, be yourself. Even if you have to dress in suite, try to make your suite stand out in a way that's cool but not too attention grabbing. Some famous CEOs are known for dressing casual in business settings, and it gives them attention and respect.

Michka.Martina likes this.
  4. Griffin

Griffin Entrepreneur

I dress up for the environment. Suits, I got it, business casual, I got it. If it's open ended, I go business casual. It's a happy in between, moderately classy, and also modern.

5. Bonyi

Bonyi Entrepreneur

The best way to dress is to dress smart and neat. Look in a way that some one would want to address you right and would want to do business with you. Our dressing matters and should impress the first time

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

First impressions are important, but there's also a saying that looks can be deceiving and I tend to trust that more. Just because a person is dressed immaculate, doesn't necessarily mean what's underneath the suit is going to be just as good.

Individuality is something that's important, especially when it comes to an entrepreneur, as I think aswell as being dressed smartly, they should also be able to be confident enough to show their own personality and not be afraid of going against the norm.

7. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

Well when it comes to questions like this I have to resort back to what my grandfather told me once - that he got his first job, the one that he grew from in the company, because he shined the back of his shoes and the others did not. Of course I take it more as an anecdote for appearance matters, and times change, but the message remains the same. Appearance and first impressions certainly matter, so explore all options and choose wisely.

Michka.Martina and pwarbi like this.
  8. James Fresh

James Fresh Entrepreneur

Yeah.. Your personality, confidence etc is what counts.. Just be good groomed, and dress good... Dressing and staying out from the crowd is also good..

You dont want to be the average. Dress jacket, dress pants, smoking kind a guy... You want to be the Badass

9. Federico.Gimeno

Federico.Gimeno Entrepreneur

I think it depends on the environment you want to move among. If you're selling your own punk music / band, you'd probably want to wear a punk style. If you're selling software services you'd probably want to dress more formally.

ctfranklin28 likes this.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

Oh I agree, and your appearance does make a difference, but what I meant was that the typical business dress, suit, shirt, tie and polished shoes doesn't have to be adhered to these days, for a person to make a positive impression.

I'd be more more inclined to hire a person wearing a clean, ironed, smart pair of jeans and T-shirt, than a person in an unwashed, crumpled, three piece suit for example.

11. setupdisc

setupdisc Moderator Entrepreneur

I always made it a point to dress for business and professionally, so that whenever I interacted with people they would remember me that way most of all. Ideally, when people think of you there is a type of atmosphere you create of your persona and how they see you that they remember. If you are the "fun" person, then the more casual and laid back your style is, the more people remember you to call you up to hang out or go places when they request your company.

But if you're looking to get the business calls and have people remember you for your profession or what you do most of all, then you'll definitely want to dress the part and stay on top of your position to look and present yourself in the most positive and professional light at all times.

The few people who can probably get away with not having to worry are Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg who has the most plain and mundane outfits I've ever seen a person wear. Then again, having multi-millionaire and multi-billionaire family members who are your angel investors to promise you success and hand it to you on a silver platter before you even get started on whatever it is you're trying to do...you probably don't have to worry about your wardrobe or presentation all that much.

It's more about who you are, how you are with people, and what you can do for them that will guarantee your success. Giving the visual and having people remember that just by looks is still very important.

These days, business and the world is radically different from how it used to be, so this stance may vary based upon your industry and what it is you are doing...but for general business practices, I still feel this is one of the best ways to go about your appearance and dress.

Hygiene should be the most important thing regardless how you dress.

12. ctfranklin28

ctfranklin28 Entrepreneur

I really agree with Federico. While it's best to err on the side of neat and sharply dressed, you want to consider the environment and the image you want to portray. Public relations has gone past the era where everyone in business wears business attire (In actuality, that was probably a "myth" anyway.)

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

The role your doing will play a big part aswell, like you say of course, and a mechanic or chimney sweep wouldn't be expected to come for a days trial in their best suit for example!

14. TobiasW

TobiasW Entrepreneur

Clean, clean, clean. Clean shoes. Clean fingernails. Freshly laundered. If you don't appear to care for your own appearance, you won't appear as someone who would care about an investor's hard earned money! And choose clothes you feel comfortable in. Don't wear a suit if you never do so normally. It'll look as if it's wearing you!!

15. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

First impressions are important and the way we can impress people is by assuming they are the ones judging us. We are on an interview and if we pass then we get all the business we desire through word of mouth. This is a good strategy to have...make sure your confidence level is high and you always look people in the eye and have a firm handshake.

16. lmilic

lmilic Entrepreneur

First of all, you should always wear ties, tie and suit goes like a lemon and water in lemonade, where lemonade is your business, you must always dress toimpress! First impressions last, believe me

17. AdultWorx

AdultWorx Entrepreneur

Your dress depends on the industry you are in. Some industries it is required, some it is not.