BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. bhu

bhu Entrepreneur

I know an RV entrepreneur who has really diversified her business since she and her husband began it many years ago. They offer their clients a network of campsites, a magazine, a mailbox rental and mail forwarding service, reference books and a member-updated forum on where to camp including and besides their properties. While their total clientele is diverse across age groups and interests, at their world headquarters, they even offer in-rv home health care services and an adult day care center for the mature set. They'll even build you a handicap-friendly porch on your RV if you're staying long-term to use the home health care. They even offer RV Boot Camp for newbies like me to learn how to properly care for their rigs for maximum safety and enjoyment. So, my question to you is: How many different directions can YOU grow YOUR business?

T J Tutor likes this.

2. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

I see this thread similar to a domestic tour agency that I know. We are actually in search of a local tour for the mountain area up north of Metro Manila. The tour agency started from van rental on a daily basis. When he noticed that his clients usually ask him about tourist spots in the country, he broadened his business to include a tour package after connecting with some inn and cheap hotels in the provinces. Now his business is a full tour package that they call "all in" to include transportation, accommodation, food, and an experienced tour guide to boot.

He is on the drawing board for the inclusion of camping equipment and materials also to be rented to his clients.

3. Valerie

Valerie Entrepreneur

I think the adaptability of one's own business is a surprising thing. It depends on your creativity. You can keep your focus rather straight and plain--true to your original intent. Kind of like a car manufacturer, whose platform for the kind of vehicle they wish to fabricate remains unwavering. They will do what needs to be done in order to see the fruition of their objective but will rarely stray from vehicles. On the other hand, a craft business might start with selling goods for painters then realize there's a market for other supplies. Soon they're dabbling in stationary, wood working, framing, arts and crafts classes, and eventually even hosting craft fairs. Though the main focus is crafts, they've expanded into different realms and different promotional methods.
    For me, the ways I can grow my freelancing and dance business is by following my passions and utilizing what makes me unique, much like a craft store.

4. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

It all depends of your resources, honestly and how much time are you willing to invest in your company. If you are a single man army, I'd suggest focusing on one direction at a time rather than chasing 5 rabits and not chasing any one. Why? Because while you are running in 5 directions, other people are focusing on one of those directions and are giving their best.

5. bob1978

bob1978 Entrepreneur

At the moment I just run one business - design. Current direction is to provide logo/branding, collateral, app, and web design. I've recently expanded into offering coding services. Not very comprehensive, just one language, and only for the web (no mobile apps or anything). Using both skills, I've expanded into offering the full package - full-stack web service. To prove I can do it, I made a site that sells ready-made logos and icons. So that's two ways so far.

To expand further, I could learn the basics of Wordpress & design web templates for that platform. Or I could learn PHP & offer full Wordpress services. If I go that route, I could maybe make a purchasable Wordpress template, and sell it on the Envato platform. Another possible way to expand, would be to learn Objective C, and start offering app-construction services. One other way is to brush up on my 3D skills, and combine my coding ability & graphic design, to create fresh new games.

Now, unfortunately, due to the extremely low barrier of entry of the design industry, every Tom, Dick, and Harry thinks they can make do with downloadable templates (of questionable copyright & ownerships) and self-made stuff. Clients too are spoiled for choice, with many in third-world countries offering cheap to free services. These and other factors unfortunately reduced the respect and overall incomes of designers. The Wordpress area is completely saturated, so that's probably not a useful avenue to take. Apps (both development and design) still has a market, even if there are countless apps out there that make no money. If you know both design and app development, you could earn somewhat decently. Unfortunately, this probably isn't going to last very long. Newer and more exciting gadgets have appeared in the horizon (VR, AR, etc..), and it's only a matter of time before handhelds are gone. I give it a couple more years. As for 3D games, it's rather risky and extremely time-consuming to create even the simplest of 3D games. While open-source engines exists, they still take time and money to build something that folks actually want to play.

Future's not looking too bright in this field at the moment. So I'm taking my design skill towards the only direction that makes the most sense - using design as one of my powerful toolsets. Development is another. Rather than depend on clients, I'd much prefer building things myself. That's probably the best way to grow... as a brand new business.

6. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

It appears your friends have figured there is no end to the possibilities. It's kind of like the game of "Six Degrees From Kevin Bacon". You can connect anything and everything, so the possibilities for expansion are endless.