BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. ruener79

ruener79 Entrepreneur

As a business owner, it is important to have motivated employees. However, it can't be denied that there are times that the business experiences some slump. Some employees start to feel down and downright hopeless, and start to slack off at work. When this happens, what can a business owner do to bring back the motivation of employees? What can you suggest to bring the hope back and just motivate people that the business will eventually have a turnaround?

Divine Haven and Digsby Trace like this.

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

One thing that I've learned is that if a business is struggling, then as the owner you need to be as open and honest about it with your employees as you can.

I don't mean just holding a meeting and telling them all the facts and figures in business language, I mean actually talking to them and getting their opinions aswell, that makes them feel less like just employees but they actually feel part of the business.

If your employees are listened to and they feel they are valued, that in turn will make them work harder and be more motivated in their work as they'll feel part of the business and will then be willing to go above and beyond to make that business work.

emuzeskylow, Teahi and ruener79 like this.
  3. Teahi

Teahi Entrepreneur

I like this because I'm learning that communication is the key for all relationships, business and otherwise. Even though the owner is the boss, his or her employees help make the machine go, and so it's important for the owner to make sure that the employees stay in the business-loop on some level.
    I had a boss like this, she had a home business and she was really struggling. I was her only full-time employee. Her attitude was bad, she was short-tempered, rude, always on edge.
    When she eventually told me that she was really struggling financially and under a great deal of stress, that made me want to help her more, and put her bad mood in perspective. We rose out of that financial slump beautifully in no time. Had she not communicated with me and told me what was going on, I probably would have quit, in short order, due to her horrendous attitude.

pwarbi likes this.
  4. emuzeskylow

emuzeskylow Entrepreneur

Like seriously, this is the best approach. The mutual relationship between an employer and employee should really be well nurtured. It will amaze us to find out that not everyone are really working for the salary or pay but from the joy and peace they enjoy in their bosses business. I totally agree with this.

pwarbi likes this.
  5. Digsby Trace

Digsby Trace Entrepreneur

If you care about your employee during the times that the business is good, they will be very supportive of the business even if it's not doing well. Mutual respect is very important in a company that's why it's important to build a happy working place no matter how stressful it is. It's important for them to understand that you are the boss and need to be respected but talking to them about their career plans and their opinion about the business will make them feel that they are important part of the company.

pwarbi and emuzeskylow like this.
  6. emuzeskylow

emuzeskylow Entrepreneur

I couldn't agree less.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

As a business owner communication is key to making any business run effectively. While I'm not saying that you have to divulde every little detail to your employees, you do have to have a certain amount of honesty and if things aren't going well, that's the time you need your employees the most.

If they don't know the situation, then that aren't going to be able to help even if they wanted to.

Teahi likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I think in the majority of cases people will work for the money, but that isn't the only thing that will drive then to being a good employee.

People spend a huge part of their lives at work, so aswell as earning money, they also want to be happy aswell and if they know they are respected and their opinions are valuable, that in turn will make them more comfortable in their job roles and increase their performance.

Teahi and emuzeskylow like this.
  9. emuzeskylow

emuzeskylow Entrepreneur

You are so correct in that. Ofcourse, most work for the money they get in return for their service. And they feel more comfortable with the job if the working relationship is appropriately nurtured. Thanks,bro! point noted.

Teahi likes this.
  10. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

Treat People with Respect
    I don't think that you can motivate people. You can however, create the conditions in which self motivated people will thrive and deliver excellent work.

This isn't difficult. Treat people with respect and dignity. Tell them what you need them to do, then get out of their way and let them do it. They will justify your faith in them with their ingenuity, hard work and results.
    Thanks to: Bud Bilanich of The Common Sense Guy.

Marketer and pwarbi like this.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I have to admit, I do like in the last paragraph "tell them what you need them to do, then get out of the way and let them do it" because more often than not, a boss does tend to be looking over their employees shoulders and that can impact a lot on their performance.

If you trust your employees, and you should be able to, you should trust them to complete the tasks you set also.

Marketer and ReadmeByAmy like this.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I have been an employee before venturing into freelance writing. And one of the things that boosted my spirits, and morale when I was still working at a university before was the constant good communication between me and my boss. Whenever I feel stressed at the office, she would just tell me that we could meet the deadlines, that we could do it, and she would also offer me freebies and gifts as motivation to do hard work.

Teahi likes this.
  13. Teahi

Teahi Entrepreneur

Yes, so true, they aren't going to be able to help, even if they wanted to because they don't know that there IS a situation in the first place.
    And like you said, it's not like an owner has to divulge every detail, but communication is certainly key when things aren't going well, otherwise people try to guess what's going on. The "guess" will probably not be accurate, that's how rumors get started though, which adds even more to the over-all stressful climate of the workplace. It's better for the business owner to let people know what's going on.

pwarbi likes this.
  14. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

You absolutely said it right! ;)

15. loverman99

loverman99 Entrepreneur

It depends on an employee's life perspectives. Some people are ok with working from 9 to 5 for the same fixed amount of money. Some are not. They are more ambitious and have aspirations. They want to fulfill their lives with high results and achievements.

So, if the person matches the first description - he must be sure nothing will suddenly change for worse. If the second - he needs to know he won't stuck in the place all the time.

16. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

Different people are motivated by different things. As the owner, you need to know what is the motivation behind someone coming to work. This can only happen if you or someone who represents you is in direct touch with the employee on a personal as well as on a professional level. That is why team building activities, low cost celebrations, etc are important.

Once you know what motivates someone, you motivate them. Usually, in a single message to your employees, you should be able to cover the following major areas of motivation:

1. Recognition : Some people don't care what you pay them or what you ask of them. They want to be recognized for their contributions, publicly! So if they are great, appreciate them, if you can't reward them. Reward them, if you can't promote them. Promote them, if they're a superstar.

2. Growth : Some people are competitive as hell. To them, a hike in salary doesn't mean as much. They want to be the first ones in their peer group to become "head X" or whatever. And these people will rebel if they don't see growth in the future. This is precisely why companies have so many levels. But how can you replicate that in a small business? Simple. By creating different levels of access and slowly giving certain employees more access to you. For example, allowing someone to directly mail you may be considered progress by them. Giving someone a little more responsibility is another way to do it.

3. Environment : Humans are social animals. We love being around other people. Create a fun, positive environment, where people grow collaboratively, and you will see more people sticking around. If possible make sure the physical environment people are working in is great. OR if you are handling someone remotely, make sure you don't micro-manage them or sit on their head all the time. Comfort-zones have to be created for employees. Allowing someone to take extra paid days off for some purpose will make them feel like they are really wanted.

Lastly of course Money. I am not even going to put it on this list. Although, it is important. But, if someone works for you just because you pay a dime more than the next guy, they will leave you as soon as someone else offers them more. That is why, you should never motivate with money, unless of course, you are giving out bonuses. Bonuses are like gifts. And everyone likes gifts, but other than that money should never be used as a motivator. Just doesn't work as well.

Marketer likes this.
  17. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

It's hard to stay motivated when you know that the business is down. It's especially hard to keep employees motivated when you yourself aren't. So here are my tips:

1. Be a role model. Be that person who shows up at work with a big smile in the face. Be that person who encourages other people to work hard. Be that person that your employees can look up to and say, "I want to be just like him, my boss." And lastly, be that person who works even when the times are tough and seem like everything is going wrong.

2. Use their opinions. Let them help you bring your business forward. Let the employees voice out their opinions because you never know if they're opinions can just save your business.

3. Care for them. Let them know that they're not just a number to your business. Show them their efforts are appreciated. Pay for overtime and always let them go home on time.

Marketer likes this.
  18. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

It is really funny because I have taken all of these classes on motivation and models and theories and all of that stuff, and I have to say that in my experience nothing really applies across the board. It is always a interorganizational thing, and interpersonnel thing. I have found that small things matter, though. Little praises and words of encouragement do go a long way, and open communication is a must.

Marketer likes this.
  19. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

This is an excellent question and I have been there done that on both sides of the spectrum. Basically it is all about restoring confidence in your team and building relationships. I also found that rewarding employees almost never fails. It is something about people getting rewarded for doing what they already should be doing, and that is the kicker. For instance, many employees are clocking in late, and instead of going to find all new employees and spending training dollars, it is sometimes easier to just create a contest. The top employees who are on time for the whole week can wear jeans on Friday. These types of contests always works from my experience.

20. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

When you mention staff clocking in late to work, and the way to stop that, I do have mixed feelings were that's concerned to be honest.

I'm very liberal with the start times I impose on most of my staff and they know the amount of hours they work in a day to get their pay check at the end of the week.

When it comes to start and finish times, they can start any time they want between 8 and 9, as long as they finish at the appropriate time aswell. Start at 8, finish at 5. Start at 9, finish at 6 for example.

At the end of the week, if they haven't got the necessary hours in to get a full weeks wage, they get paid for what they have worked, but then I'll have a meeting with them just to see what the reason is.

Another important step I feel is having that meeting on the sane day they get paid, the Friday. Don't say you want to see them on Monday, then go home and worry about it all weekend. Deal with it that week and then they can go home and enjoy the weekend and start a fresh on Monday.

remnant likes this.