BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How can individual become good at selling?

Discussion in 'Sales' started by Federico.Gimeno, Jan 25, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Federico.Gimeno

Federico.Gimeno Entrepreneur

How do you think this skill is acquired? What does it take to be a skilled salesman? I'd be great to hear your inputs.

Thank you in advance!

setupdisc likes this.

2. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

In order to become a good salesman, the first skill you need is know is how to convince people to buy product.Whether you are selling product online of offline, you need good vocal/writing skills to attract customers. Some other techniques that a good salesman has to have are
    good at giving sales pitch
    identifying potential customers

setupdisc likes this.
  3. Federico.Gimeno

Good points. What I find more difficult is to convince people to buy a product. I think it relies in making the potential buyer think he/she needs the product in question, so one needs to create that need, i guess.

setupdisc likes this.
  4. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

I think when you:

1. Know your product well or service well, you become good at selling it. You know its pros and how to build it up. But you also know its cons and not to hide them from your clients.

2. When you know how to make your customer laugh, it can lighten the situation.

3. Know how to build some rapport and engage the customer, they will be more inclined to listen to your sales talk.

I hope this helps!

setupdisc likes this.
  5. Tyler Bell|MYB Revolution

Tyler Bell|MYB Revolution Entrepreneur

I think the ability to get inside your prospects head, see their point of view and their natural desire to want more out of life, then give them what they want is the key to being a great salesman.

For example:

When thinking about what's the best way to sell to others I usually refer to the 8-Question "Before/After" Grid from Digital Marketer, that's included with learning Customer Value Optimization. Basically the 8 questions asks you to think of:

1. What does the prospect HAVE: before your product/service then after your product/service?
    2. How does your prospect FEEL: before your product/service then after your product/service?
    3. What's an AVERAGE DAY like for your prospect: before your product/service then after your product/service?
    4. What's your prospects STATUS: before your product/service then after your product/service?
    If you need and example to explain it better just click the link above.

Once you've answer these questions you can base either a page copy or a product/service introduction that addresses these four questions in your current prospects life and how your product/service can change their lives for the better (their ideal outcome) and since you got the prospect emotionally active by discussing their possessions, feelings, routine, and current status, you already have your foot in the door to trigger their impulsive/emotional side.

Psych. Lesson: Most purchases are made from emotions.

Hopefully this helps with your question.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    setupdisc likes this.
  6. setupdisc

setupdisc Moderator Entrepreneur

Good tips here from everyone. I'm not as good at sales as other areas, but there's a lot of different ways to approach selling things to the public. The way that always works best for me is if I can relate to what I am selling, believe in the product, and have faith and confidence in the performance and quality of what it is I'm offering to them. When you have all those things in place, you don't have to worry as much about your method because your advocation for what you offer or sell is truly genuine. People read body language if you're selling in person, and they get a feeling from you when you make a presentation. If everything you have to say and to offer is genuine, then you're going to create a genuine feeling in them and a positive outcome for both parties whenever you engage a sale. It's very rare that people have a false-positive, and in this particular case it can be sad when they do because they would be missing out on something great even more than you would to make the sale to them when it's like this.

If it's "just a product or service" that you're trying to sell but need to make headway with and really get out there, then all the other factors become even more important, because you're going to need those to relate to your prospective client or buyer. How does what you offer appeal to them? How does it make them feel, and can you propose a logical way that their purchase of it is intelligent and a good move for them to do so? Even if it's not the highest or best quality, is it still a good investment to where you can promote the highlights of it to make them eager to buy it still?

Tyler makes a good point on knowing the profit margin and average day is like for the client, too. If you're going to relate to them on their level, you have to know or heuristically approach where they stand to know how to connect with them. The more you can do this, the better your results should be. The only other thing I would add right now just off the top is that you'd want to create reassurance and comfort in support. Is there a warranty or a way to get help if they need it? This is often an important factor when you're selling something to someone who is either a first-time buyer, or wants to be sure that they are buying something that they can get questions answered on or repaired if it's a product. Warranty terms and/or customer service availability can be two of the topics that make or break the sale during the initial approach and conversation.

Develop your style and know that everyone is different in how they react. The more adaptive and intuitive you become with the potential buyer, the better you will develop your skills as a potential salesperson to and for them.

It's been many years since I've done sales for other companies, but I learned this early when working for corporations and public sales, and again years later when I went on to do my own business. If you can make the customer's day better, whether it translates into a sale or not, they are going to remember you either way. The nicer and more honest you are with them, the more likely you're going to get the sales you need.

7. Tyler Bell|MYB Revolution

Tyler Bell|MYB Revolution Entrepreneur

Good point about having faith in what you're selling and knowing that your offer has good quality and is actually worth something to your potential client. That's definitely a necessity, as well as making sure their comfortable with the sell.:D

setupdisc likes this.
  8. Arken June Malvecino

Arken June Malvecino Entrepreneur

Communication skills (especially in advertising your product), patience, and resilience (as failures are part of business). For me, these three things defines a skilled salesman. The other characters are just supplementary.

setupdisc likes this.
  9. Federico.Gimeno

Awesome posts guys, thank you for your valuable inputs. No doubt I have still a lot to learn :). I'll start to read a bit on the subject, that'll do me good.

10. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

Sign up as a sales exec and practically do it. They'll train you and that will give you the tools you need initially. Learn to take rejections with a smile and look at the scripts that the trainers offer you. Ask yourself why the scripts are written the way they are, that's where the learning is. All the Best!

11. sar777

sar777 Entrepreneur

The very first skill you need to have to be a great salesperson is the ability to listen and comprehend. It does not matter how much you believe in a product or how well you can pitch it, if you are unable to read a potential client and really listen to and understand their pains and needs before you even start talking about your product you've already lost the sale.

The best business development professionals and sales people understand there is a reason we were given two ears and one mouth. Understand your potential clients pains then present your product as a solution, explaining briefly (BRIEFLY IS IMPORTANT) the benefits. And leave them wanting more. The potential clients needs to do more of the talking than you. Really great sales people will have the ability to connect on a personal level with the prospect and inevitably conversations will be 80% about the client whether it's personal or their business issues, and only 20% actual selling.

Finally a good sales team needs to have a good strategic leader to ensure targets are valuable, that you have a go-no go list and that everyone on the team understands you typically need at least 12 points of contact before you are going to make progress on a sales.

12. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

If you want to be successful in your selling endeavours as a good salesperson the first thing you should have in your mind is for you "TO HAVE A KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES THAT YOU ARE SELLING". Because without this you will have a hard time selling your products or services. And together with the right approach and introduction to what you are selling then everything will follows if you had already win the hearts of your prospective clients or customers.

13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

You really need to have confidence not only in yourself, but also in the product/service you are selling/offering. You also have to possess good communication and convincing skills. Don't tell customers things/claims that are way too good to be true. Just be honest, and believable.

14. ctfranklin28

ctfranklin28 Entrepreneur

Two simple answer, time and goals. Sales is about being comfortable with yourself, your client, and the product or service you are selling. That comes about when you afre familiar with all three. Getting better at sales also happens when you "have to" as opposed to "need to". When you need to sell X number of product, you find a way to do it!

My advice:
    1. Stop focusing on the negative connotation of the word "sales". Sales is not a thing. It's an activity that you engage in, like all of the other activities you do. We "sell" people on ideas all the time. (For example, influencing a friend to go to a restaurant or buy something).
    2. Find your big goal. What are you selling for and who are you helping? Focus on providing solutions for customers so that you can reach your goals, not your fears.
    3. Read and learn. Take the time to read sales articles, books, and blog posts. A lot of them will be cheesy and repetitive, but you will find little nuggets of wisdom that you can use to tweak your methods

15. Jack Benoit

Jack Benoit Entrepreneur

Knоw hоw yоur рersоnаlity influenсes yоur аррrоасh tо оthers. Fоr exаmрle, if yоu аre highly extrоverted, yоur usuаl аррrоасh might be tо seсure а fасe-tо-fасe meeting during whiсh yоu will соver а wide rаnge оf items, disсussed frоm а lаrger рersрeсtive. Hоwever, if yоu аre deаling with аn intrоverted сlient, yоu mаy be mоre suссessful hаving а mоre in-deрth disсussiоn with fewer tорiсs. Neither is right оr wrоng—it simрly hаs tо dо with рreferenсes.

Develор the аbility tо аdарt yоur style tо the сirсumstаnсe. Оbserve аnd listen саrefully tо gаuge yоur сlient's аррrоасh. This аgility in yоur sаles аррrоасh hоnоrs yоur сlient's needs аnd helрs yоu be in the mоment with thаt рersоn.

16. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

And if you already gained the trust and confidence of your customers and after they had bought from you already you still have to take care of their needs and be sure you are still there for them for any other inquiries that they might have. And not after you had got what you want from them you will just not entertain them anymore. You must still care for your customer so that they will refer you to other people who also want to buy the same products from you.

17. jona

jona Entrepreneur

I am convinced, and nobody will make me thing otherwise, that good salesmen are born and not done. I know a handful of people that could sell a refrigerator to people living near the north pole.

Surely you can learn some skills and sales techniques and you can make some moderate advances as a sales person but it takes a certain kind of personality to be able to do that, I lack that, for instance, I mean I could try to sell stuff but I just don't that thing... that spark that this people possess.

18. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

Pardon me if this is a myth but I believe that there are those who are born to be a salesman. I understand that the course salesmanship can make you a salesman but the born salesman is the best. My husband's personality is not fit for sales so when we put up that computer supplies retail business, he had to do some research. Armed with the knowledge of a salesman, he trained his staff for marketing their products. And his sales people were so good that that business flourished somehow. But my husband? He just remained in the office although he talks to clients sometimes.. on the phone.

19. remnant

remnant Entrepreneur

One can become good at selling through good old practice. Some personality types, it has to be said are more suited to production, for example, self effacing introverts. One should be outgoing and stoic, able to put on a brave face even if they have not clinched a sale. It also pays to take some courses which will expose you to the psychological aspects of salesmanship. It goes without saying that one should be neat and presentable.

20. ruener79

ruener79 Entrepreneur

Everyone's said them all. Now, what's to be done is JUST DO. Go out there, approach as many potentials or even non-potentials. Theory and all these best advice will be for naught if you don't put them in practice. Experience I guess will be the most effective tool there is to sales. With each experience you learn lessons. You can determine immediately what will work best for which type of people and you adjust accordingly.