BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

"High" Fashion

Discussion in 'Fashion and Accessories' started by Pop, Oct 2, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Pop

Pop Entrepreneur

2. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

I work in the fashion industry and to be honest, you have to decide if you want to create "art," or if you want to make money. Unfortunately, doing both does not exist in this industry.

I remember being in fashion school and we had to create all this "art" in order to get passing grades and be seen as competent in the field. I always gave what they wanted, however, once I graduated, I started focusing on clothing that will actually generate revenues. That means, offering clothing that people can/will actually wear in real life.

While the art side of fashion is fun and exciting, I was looking for profits. I think if you want your fashion designs in a museum, it is best to go the "art" route. If you are looking to profit, it is best to go the "practical" route and offer items that regular people can understand, wear, and afford.

I think Betsey Johnson said it best:

"You can make all the great clothing you want, but if it doesn't sell... what's the point?"

Ladyferoz and Digsby Trace like this.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I think only Hollywood celebrities could pull of those kinds of bizarre dresses/clothing. I just always go for comfortable clothes, and not way too high fashion.

4. missbishi

missbishi Entrepreneur

I'm pretty sure that these outlandish outfits we see on the runways are not really designed to be worn. I think they're more of a marketing tool really - after all, the craziest, most insane outfits from the fashion shows always end up in the media the next day. It's all brand publicity.

5. nailah783

nailah783 Entrepreneur

I guess that gives new meaning to "Who are you wearing?" I guess you can call it art, but I do find it a little inappropriate. I don't like it. You can't even see the fashion in order to call it a show. I guess it's just not for me.

Ladyferoz likes this.
  6. harpazo22

harpazo22 Entrepreneur

I don't understand high fashion today. It makes no sense. Look at the fashion shows and it's not anything people would actually wear.

7. Digsby Trace

Digsby Trace Entrepreneur

You really have a point here. No matter how unique a design is if people will look out of this world wearing it, it's not going to sell. I sometimes wonder about the clothes that I see in fashion shows. Some of them have complicated designs that you wouldn't be caught wearing in public. Do they really sell? I think you're the right person to ask since you're working in the fashion industry. I don't understand fashion shows at all. Why do they organize one aside from showing off their designs to future business partners? Do they really make money out of it?

8. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

Those types of outlandish fashion "art" statements are created for high end buyers. The celebrities and movies that are for the purpose of entertainment. I think it is great to see these types of pieces and have that whole experience, but I do agree with practicality and sales. Real people wear "real" clothes and most fashion designers are in the business to make money. Those fashion shows (like NY fashion week) are trying to sell to your Lady Gaga's and Beyonce's for their next huge tour. Of course regular folks can not afford let alone would be caught dead in half of those over the top threads.

Digsby Trace likes this.
  9. Sora

Sora Entrepreneur

When I was in high school or principal said something very poignant: always dress according to the context. If you're going grocery shopping, it is inappropriate to step out in heels and a dress. Likewise, you wouldn't think of attending a funeral in something bright and vibrant just as you wouldn't step into a wedding wearing a black morning dress.

I think high end fashion is specifically designed and tailored keeping in mind a certain section of society, the celebrities and famous names that so often make the front page of journals. These people need the kind of attention that outlandishly crazy outfits can give, they need the limelight, the focus, the gossip, stares, talks.. Besides, certain occasions demand certain degree of insane clothing. I'm sure even Beyonce, who attends the Grammys in near nude ensembles, does not wear transparent swarovski dresses on a day to day regular basis. It's simply not practical.

I'm sure designers design some of their stuff keeping this consumer base in mind. Having a high end customer such as one of these celebrities would be a feather in the cap for any label.

10. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

I have heard that the industry is trying to cut back on rail thin models. They say because of how it affects young girls/women with their skewed views of what beauty is. I think they should have taken this into account a long time ago. I just thought that was a huge step in the fashion industry if this is true.

11. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

One of the best examples of this is Kanye West's fashion line. I still cannot understand how torn up clothes can retail for hundreds of dollars, it is ridiculous. I guess there's a market for sloppy...

12. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

Okay, I must admit that that Rick Owen's fashion show kind of made me creeped out. I mean, it's straight on strapped person to another person. He did explain the theme of his show as referring to the Cyclops, which is a Greek mythical creature. I guess to each his own, the more weird the concept is, the better it is for them.

For me though, high fashion doesn't really appeal to me. I guess you could say I'm more of a girl who puts comfort first before anything else. Back then, when I wasn't a mom yet, I truly dress to impress. I wore clothes that are short, or maybe form-fitting and wore heels as well. But when I became a mom, I just cannot deal with all that and just dressed ultimately for comfort and ease of carrying around a child.

High-fashion has its own place and time, that's for sure. For a normal person like me, high-fashion is only but a dream. I can look at it, admire it but I could never make it work for my lifestyle.

13. Bonyi

Bonyi Entrepreneur

I go for high fashion for special occasions. I have few of the high fashion clothings since I wear them once in a while. But then I have more of the normal fashion which is something I use daily. You will look weird having high fashion on a daily basis. Even the celebrities, don't wear high fashion everyday.

14. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

I am a simple person that is why I always wear simple clothes that I find it comfortable wearing. I am not a fashionable type of person that is why I do not buy high fashion clothings. But if I am attending an occasion like wedding, birthday or any event that is to he held in a high class reception area I wear high fashion clothes.

15. Valerie

Valerie Entrepreneur

I think it is nice to have fashion that borders on the avant-garde. As others have mentioned, fashion is not always meant to be worn. We can look at fashion as another art form or as just what should be wearable. Unfortunately, if high fashion was borderline normal, we wouldn't have very interesting runway shows. If everyone went with what was comfortable, models would be clad in hoodies and sweatpants. But the shocking things, the mind-bending things, attract the paparazzi, thus giving the designer the attention they need to put out a more functional line.