BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Shishir Giri

Shishir Giri Entrepreneur

Hello everyone. I am new here. I am a 17 year old app developer. I have taken part is a few appathons and am interested in learning about how to run and manage a startup. I hope to have an awesome time here. thanks.

setupdisc and T J Tutor like this.

2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

Hello there, @Shishir Giri! Welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you on board. :) It's great to hear that at such a young age, you're now very much interested in starting your own business. Wow. Keep that up! Best of luck with your future endeavors.

Shishir Giri likes this.
  3. DeathXGun

DeathXGun Entrepreneur

I myself am quite young (16) and I look to program and write/illustrate manga!
    Good luck on your venture, man/girl/dude! I am glad you found out what it is you are good at before it is too late. Some people never do get to design these great ideas they have, mainly due to them not learning HOW to do it. Take your time and learn HOW and you will then learn WHEN (as in, it wont be a matter of "If I make this", it'll be "when I make this it will..."). Good luck!!

-DeathXGun

Shishir Giri likes this.
  4. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

Welcome to EntrepreneurFix

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

Hello and welcome to the forum. You say your an app developer? Can I ask if you've got any formal qualifications and if so what they are?

Have you developed any apps that people on here will know or are you just starting out in the field?

6. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

Hello @Shishir Giri , welcome to EntrepreneurFix! Thanks for joining us.

What kind of startup have you in mind? Something related to apps?

Looking forward to your posts and threads.

See you around the forums.

T J

7. setupdisc

setupdisc Entrepreneur

Hi @Shishir Giri!

You've come to the right place to ask. There's a lot of like-minded and intelligent business people here, and I'm certain they'll have suggestions, hints, and advice for you, too.

I would like to share a few things that may be of interest or help you as they have me when getting started, with the hope that it will be of use to you, too.

Time and youth are on your side, so you already have advatanges. But one of the first things you will want to do is lay out exactly what you want to focus on with your mobile programs. Are you specializing in anything specific when releasing apps? Are you predominately going for the Android market, Apple market with iDevices, or both?

If you're not already listed in the Google Play store, you'll definitely want to be. It's $99 for developers to do so, but it's a one-time fee if you're going with Google, and is $99 a year with all the rest. You'll be able to reach the world with your apps there very quickly and upload changes or revisions instantly.

If you're doing things more for Apple, you can go for iTunes to get your programs listed (although for Apple, they're a lot more strict than Google is for Android APK uploads. I found this out first hand, and they are really choosy on whether or not your Apple app follows what they want. Even if it's something acceptable but they don't understand it, they can postpone it or remove it forcing you to re-enlist with Apple, so that's something to be aware of).

Another choice is Amazon Apps, which is fairly new compared to Google and iTunes. You can get listed on there too, and people do buy apps there, but I've found the best success thus far to be from the Google Play Store as a developer.

Oh, I almost forgot that Windows Phone existed too lol...but there's that, and Microsoft's store for it. I'm not sure how much it is to list with the MSDN Windows Phone store, but it should probably be free considering the stagnation of Windows mobile. Android and iPhone are where it's at basically.

One other option you have too, is to list apple or android apps you make on your own web site. So that way, for example, even if you decide not to list with Apple on iTunes and pay the $99 a year there, you can still come up on search engines and on the Google Play Store in the description for having an Apple version available, but installed directly from your web site download that they pay for through Paypal or something rather than Apple's marketplace for it.

Getting your startup off the ground is not going to be expensive for this, because your two greatest expenses are only going to be your time spent programming, and your marketing of what you make.

Web site hosting and pages are fairly inexpensive these days, so if you start modular and grow from there, you can often develop what you need that way (or in a pinch, you can even use a tailored blog and plugins, despite the fact that many of them use a lot of ram and are slower to load than a regular web site). If you register a domain name for your web site, make sure that it's one that you want to keep and use on business cards.

You should have business cards already made, but just list your email address, facebook page (you should have a free facebook page already for it; if not, make one! It's free! :) ), and any other social media that you use like Google+ or Twitter. These are important to have on there anyway, and are excellent placeholders for people to visit and interact with you online while they understand that you are working on the development of your website.

Also, you can start a group on facebook for your page and direct people there from your page, if you temporarily need to add any files for samples or demo releases of an app, you are able to use your facebook group to upload a file, and then push that APK file out to your official FB page, Twitter account, or mailing lists so that people can see and try them out.

If you're going to be branching out into multiple markets and doing corporate development, you'll definitely want to register as an official business and get things going with that. If you're doing business internationally but online, then you'll really only have to worry about taking care of the legal things, TOS, etc for what you do online and your local business requirements (if any) where you reside and do business from.

If your start-up is going to be licensing or branching out into local markets in other countries outside of the web, then it would be ideal to research local business laws, regulations, restrictions for software imports/exports (if any), and possibly hire a business lawyer or paralegal on a per-case basis to handle anything you might need that way legally. For the most part, you won't have to worry about anything on this paragraph. You can do just fine as a single-entity LLC if you're in the US or an independent contractor if you are doing things in any other country.

There are always laws that are specific to your country. While you build things as an independent developer and have your own site for this, it's important to research those laws so that you know you're doing things right wherever you are doing business.

One other recommendation I'd like to make is that you should always have more than one method of payment available for your apps. This is very important, because I've had a love/hate relationship with Paypal and merchant accounts for many years. Like iTunes, if they don't understand what you are doing with a transaction, or they are worried about anything (it doesn't have to be you, it can be the buyer they are worried about!), they will postpone or even cancel some types of payments. So it's always essential to have or to build a working relationship with whomever will be processing payments with or for you, in addition to the relationship you build with your customers.

That way, you will always be paid for your work and won't have any barriers that prevent that. Setbacks will happen, but by having more than one option for payment, you'll be able to handle those changes and setbacks gracefully without anyone stopping you from your profession and startup.

Make sure you find out what your tax bracket would be (lowest and highest estimate), and always reserve enough money to pay for whatever that is at the end to the beginning of the next year so that you always have it and won't have to worry about that later.

These are my personal suggestions, and just some of the things that you'd want to be aware of when making a startup. It's fun! It's worth it! And although it might seem complicated, it's really not if you do these things in small steps and grow as your client base and business grows with you.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this information helps you. :) All the best to your success in this, Shishir!

8. William Clements

William Clements Moderator Business Owner Entrepreneur

9. Griffin

Griffin Entrepreneur

Welcome to the forums, Shishir! It's fantastic to have an app developer in our community. It just adds to the long list of skills we have present here. :)