BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. K

K Entrepreneur

So I've been doing some reading and thinking recently.

The point of this thread is to open discussion about how the "majority" of people live their life.

They are told to work 50 years of their life earning an average wage, not saving money and then retiring with next to nothing in their back pocket.

Surely this is the biggest scam ever?

What are your thoughts?

Rusnal2 likes this.

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I think your right and that's pretty much exactly what people are expected to do from an early age. That way of life will be ingrained into you from your parents to start off with because that's how they've had to live their life, then onwards through education and finally when you do get employment.

While people may not say don't save, the amount you earn and the rise of the cost of living makes it impossible for a lot of people to be able to save, so when it does come to retirement age, if your lucky enough to have welfare in your country you have to turn to that to survive.

If you live in a country that doesn't, you have two options, either live in poverty for the remaining years of your life, or carry on working until you drop.

Either way, the future looks bleak for the majority of people.

3. Michelle

Michelle Entrepreneur

To even think of living that way is exhausting and depressing it's like you have nothing to look forward to in the future

4. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

The part that I never understood is how people fell for the idea of not saving.

Some years ago I was talking to a family member who was struggling financially and looking for a way to straighten out their finances. I began suggesting ideas on how to move things forward. The minute I brought up saving, it was met with resistance. The family member said, "I don't save money. I spend money." They said it in a way that suggested that saving money was beneath them and something only poor people did. I was shocked. I think a lot of people feel like this. That saving is not something that applies to them, and the purpose of money is to spend, not save.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I have mixed opinions when it comes to saving for two reasons. My father was very good when it came to money and had money in different pensions and he saved all his life for his retirement.

I wouldn't say that he ever went short, but some months he did sacrifice things he wanted and places he wanted to go, just so he could stick to his saving plan. Sadly he retired and two years later died, so he'd saved all his life, done without on occasions and then never got to enjoy his money, I found that very sad.

6. Apolloniac

Apolloniac Entrepreneur

I think people should start practicing the art of mindfulness while looking forward to the future. Enjoy every day of your life be it through work or play. Leave the job you hate because in the long run it's not going to be something you're proud of anyway. Be mindful of others, be thoughtful in word and deed and see your happiness multiply. Save from a young age and be secure in the future. These are simple golden rules that everyone can live by, we haven't been sold a lie-- we're living a reality we can re-invent.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

Sometimes it's easier said than done though, and while it's easy to say things like, well if your not happy change it, depending on your circumstances at the time it's not always possible unfortunately.

I think that's how people get stuck in a rut, they're not happy, but they they have no other options so have to keep on going.

8. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

Yes, the systems in most countries are designed to scale haves and have nots. More on the bottom and fewer on top. Part of the trouble with this is that there are an abundance of people in every country that find it okay. There too many people that are willing to settle for less. We live in a world where complacency has gripped most of our populations.

The other side of the coin in the U.S. is the diminishing middle class, it's 70% smaller than it was 20 years ago and most have moved into the lower income levels making it the largest contingent of our population now.

Rusnal2 likes this.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

That sounds really tragic. We would be working half of our lives, trying to make ends meet everyday, and when we have gotten old and decided to retire, there's hardly enough money for us. It's an awful scenario.

10. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

For my own point of view I rather save even a little amount of money while I am still younger so that when my retirement comes I had a savings which I can use for my emergency funds in my old age or in case I get sick. Other people said why they will save money and they will just enjoy life because all of us will die and we cannot bring our money into our grave. Yes I know all of us will depart in this world but we don't know when??? And that is the big question. And what if you will have a long life and you had no savings when you are still in your prime years because of that thinking you had of just to enjoy your life and not to save money at all. You are lucky if you have your family and friends who are well off and who can help and support you in your old age. But what if they do not have the means. What will happen to you in your old age when you had no money?...People had different point of views how to live their life...For me I want to live my life saving a little while I am still younger but at the same time enjoying my life sometimes if I had extra money..Life is what we make it!

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

Life is what you make of it and sadly it seems to be money that's at the heart of it all. There's an increasing mentality that people should live for the moment and let the future look after itself, and while that isn't the way I've been brought up, I am starting to come round to that way of thinking myself.

12. harpazo22

harpazo22 Entrepreneur

It is a scam and people are too busy to wake up and see what's happening. The system is made to make it so we can't get ahead and we're just doing the same thing over and over. It's because of greedy people at the top and liking to stomp on others to get what they want. That's just how the system is made.

13. Pop

Pop Entrepreneur

Um, who is telling people to do that? I started hearing messages about saving for retirement from my early twenties. I started hearing about having savings in general at the age of 5, every kid I our school had a little savings book and you could put 50c or $1 in it every week. In my current job everyone is all but strong armed into joining the 401k with incentive, matching money etc. Just last Friday we had a free half day talk on investing (of all types) that our employer paid for us to attend.

I am in my mid-Forties now and I have heard nothing but messages about saving pretty much as long as I have been alive.

14. TobiasW

TobiasW Entrepreneur

I couldn't agree with you more. The life we're living day-to-day is not a rehearsal and, although things will change, sometimes for the better, sometimes for worse, it makes sense to live each day to the full and to take from it such enjoyment - even the smallest - that is to be had. None of really knows when we will die. Would you really like to roll up at the pearly gates (if any) saying - hang on, I meant to… Mindfulness is the way forward and I;m seeing it espoused more and more as a way of being in quite large organisations. We ignore it at our peril as entrepreneurs.

Rusnal2 likes this.
  15. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

50 years ago and even longer than that, it was true. People could retire on pensions and 401 k.

With the global meltdown in 2007 with economies all over the world. Pensions and 401 k's disappeared.

Even now some cities and states in the US are not honoring pensions. Yet CEO's make millions and millions.

I dont think it was a scam to start with. These days, ya it is a scam.

16. Rusnal2

Rusnal2 Entrepreneur

Mass pyschology. I cannot speak for everyone. I observe. It is one of the symbols and fake points of reference. I believe people can willingly change. Most for whatever reason. Do not. Yes. I see one person who is earning a low xxx,xxx is working. He is one of the small percentage in the daily grind demographic that might get to retire. He goes in this system 'matrix' because his closest allies instill this mentality that he will 'make it'. I have spoke with him outside of his workplace. He is beginning to realize he cannot pay for his retirement on even that alone. He is starting to see the system.

17. K

K Entrepreneur

What are you personally doing to avoid this scam?

T J Tutor likes this.
  18. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

The continued growth of self knowledge and relationships. A commitment to be more today than I was yesterday.

Engage as many people across the globe as possible to continually build a network of knowledge and relationships. Research everyday to expand the capacities of my thoughts, my being, and my businesses.

We have to be the architects and masters of our own lives so as to be independent of constraints placed upon us by others. This requires opening our minds to new information that we can adapt to our lives as well as to enable us to help others reach for, and acquire, their goals as well. Helping others expand and engage their own personal growth has a net effect on our own lives. We have to give in order to receive. We've all heard the old metaphor, "help others get what they want, and they will gladly help us get what we want". Key to this is to know that what you receive often does not come from where you give.

Learn to say "what can I do for you" instead of "what's in it for me" when you meet others.

K likes this.