BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

I was always hopeful Google would win this case. I know it will be appealed, but it has been a crappy lawsuit to begin with because the Java code has always been free to use by everyone. What a waste of of money and resources this case has been in my opinion.

Have any of you been following this? I followed it because I used to write code as a living and when i first saw the suit filed it really pissed me off.

What are your thoughts on this suit?

VirtualGlobalPhone likes this.

2. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

Now a days it has become common practice for many big companies to go back on to their words and keep changing the terms of the usage of open source. These verdicts should be a wake up call for many..

T J Tutor likes this.
  3. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

I read the article on Business Insider and got a little confused. First it was deemed that the Java code G used was copyrighted to Oracle. Then G used the fair use defense. If it's under copyright, fair use to build something else is legal? I don't know, I'm asking.

I also wondered how it could be under copyright to Oracle if it's open source code. I've been under the impression that open source means that anyone can use it for whatever they want. Perhaps I'm labouring under a misconception.

4. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

Yes you can copyright anything you give away, even open source. It simply gives you the controls over the product. In this case, out of billions of lines of Google code, about sixty thousand lines of Java were used by Google. In any event, everyone uses java and never pays. Google is standing on the fact that the code was free to use without compensation or remuneration. The courts agreed, Oracle is simply using it as a spring board to set the tone for more actions down the road with its precious Java code and the rest of the industry knows this. This is why the industry is really pissed with Oracle, because it could result in anyone using open source of anything could suddenly be back charged for the use of anyone's open source.

5. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

Oracle hasn't made any friends with this action then.

6. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

@azgold , company like oracle make friends only with " Money ", especially when global economy couldn't sustain the growth and people expectations. These are bound to happen ...

azgold likes this.