BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Goldstandard89

Goldstandard89 Entrepreneur

I'm an illustrator who loves working on children's books and singular illustrations. I love turning doodles into finished images. Lately I've been able to put my images on items like t-shirts, cups, and other items. The hardest part of being an illustrator is learning how to sell your work because they completely skip that part in college. Which is really strange until you consider how solidified the idea of the starving artist is.

T J Tutor likes this.

2. Valerie

Valerie Entrepreneur

I understand this completely. Creating graphic designs, selling photographs to people looking for your subject matter, putting those images on products... it's really an elusive thing. Even as a dancer and writer (which are my main streams of income), putting my services up for sale was never taught. Hours of technical training, hours of learning sentence structure and editing, and yet probably not even one solid hour of true education in the business end of it. I think if we dived deep enough, we'd find the information we're seeking; but isn't that what educational institutions are for? It always made me angry to think, "Professor, I could be learning something else more useful right this very moment from the comfort of my bed." Le sigh.

Luckily, when it comes to selling illustrations, you can do freelance work for publishing companies! If you have a publisher in mind and know what styles they're looking for, the only way to sell your work is to inquire whether or not you can. For example, the Clark's World magazine takes illustrations for their short stories or covers for their magazine. You can try Cafepress and Zazzle for other ways of promoting yourself.

3. William Clements

William Clements Moderator Business Owner Entrepreneur

4. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

Hello @Goldstandard89 , welcome to EntrepreneurFix! Thanks for joining us.

Sounds as though you have a plan for your products. There are any number of ways to get your sales percolating. OOnline is likely the easiest place o get the sales into a stable sales cycle. I recommend studying how to get traffic your online stores. Are you using stores like TeeSpring, Teezly, etc.?

5. Goldstandard89

Goldstandard89 Entrepreneur

I'm already on Zazzle but building up enough designe
    I hadn't heard of TeeSpring or Teezly, I look at that. I've been reading how to traffic but it takes time to build up the loyal fan base needed to make a semi steady income. I'm at the experimental phase to see what works best for my goods. Do you have any recommended books that focus on online stores though? Most of the books I've come across are just recycling old business ideas for an online store, like postcards.

6. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

So, here are a list of sources.
    • Design4T
    • Fabrily
    • GearBubble
    • LogoSportswear
    • PrintPhase
    • SunFrogs
    • TeePublic
    • TeeSpring
    • Teezly
    • ThreadMeUp
    • Zazzle
    You will need to visit each and see which are still doing business. I think that TeeSpring, Teezly, and Zazzle may be the bigger three and still leading the pack.

As for books on storefronts, well I think you need to study sales funnels, landing pages, and traffic. You can establish traffic for sales funnels with most any social media. Obviously this has been a very competitive niche over the past few years, but is still very viable.

For Facebook I would recommend Dark Post Profits training, as an example. There are quite a few FB experts. Another is Maria Andros. In fact, right now (this week) on our sister forum we have the FBQueen as our guest Expert of the Week answering questions for the members. You may want to get over there and ask a few questions of her and how she may approach your sales and what materials would be a good fit for you.

7. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

I was trained to write online and offline.However, they did not teach me how to make money from my writing. Practical knowledge is missing on most of the training. I earn a dollar her a dollar there and try to manage my life. I think most of the people are on my shoes whether they are writer, designer or on other professionals.

The first thing is you have to build a reputation online and offline.