BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Isaac Kieffer

Isaac Kieffer Entrepreneur

I'm working on a new start up and was trying to figure out how to find extensive research on people that work in the real estate industry. Does anyone have any recommendations for 3rd party data collecting companies that can do this?

To be more specific, I am looking for contact information, name, location, reviews, criminal records, and how long they have been in business.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    T J Tutor likes this.

2. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

I have extensive experience in real estate and what you are proposing will not be easy. First of all, as far as criminal records go, you would have to do that on an individual basis. There are no databases that cross reference that kind of information for Realtors.

Realtors are put through a serious investigation background check when they apply for their state licensing and any background in crime will raise flags and very often prevent someone from getting licensed if they have any convictions in fraud, forgery, armed felonies, pedofilia, etc. Any Realtor convicted of these crimes after acquiring a license from their state usually results in their losing their license.

There are 3rd party data vendors, but they are always outdated. You can't use a purchased list for anything but junk snail mail anyways.

Isaac Kieffer likes this.
  3. remnant

remnant Entrepreneur

Your search for information on realtors exposes a loophole in the market. There is an information gap between the public and the market. As far as I know, it is hard to get an integrated place where you can find consumer reviews or ethical appraisals of realtors under one roof. You would have to navigate no your own for example, request for criminal records or advice on the same from the police. This is a good place to start. Someone should come up with a website with such reviews and it would rank high on Google search results.

Isaac Kieffer likes this.
  4. Isaac Kieffer

Isaac Kieffer Entrepreneur

Sure! which makes since. I'm looking for information that companies like Zillow and realtor.com have. If you go to find an agent on those websites you will see past sales and years in real estate along with reviews. How would I be able to get that information on every agent? The criminal records would be fairly easy to hire a 3rd party data collector if I already had the information on the realtor.

Thanks, Isaac

5. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

So, as far as Realtor.com goes, that's the front end of Realtor.org. Realtor.com is the retail front end of the NAR intended for use by home buyers and sellers. Realtor.org is the backend for every member of the NAR. One must have specific qualifications in order to obtain and use any api's with the NAR. You would have to inquire as to what those requirements are today.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

While I have no idea about real estate, looking at some of the information the OP requires, would it not be possible to get a lot of that via LinkedIn? Obviously not the criminal records part or even the reviews, but on their they'll have a list of people that work in the industry, their location, what types of services they're qualified in and also what contacts they have?

I just thought it might be worth mentioning on the off chance some information might be found on there without having to pay for information that like you say, might even be out of date by the time you receive it.

7. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

For the volume of data and the required accuracy the OP likely needs, a direct data interface through an "application program interface", aka: API, will be required through the NAR. It is the only accurate source for the scale of the OP's endeavors.

Isaac Kieffer and pwarbi like this.