BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Teahi

Teahi Entrepreneur

Hello, thanks for taking the time out to answer...

My question is, how do I get over my fear of failure? I want to write and publish children's books, and non-fiction books, but I have apprehension about the fact that it's possible no one will want to buy my books.

How do I not worry about book sales; proceed, and try to be a published author?

And if I only sell one or two books, is it still "correct" of me (can't really think of the right word right now, so I'll go with 'correct') to refer to myself as a writer?
    Do I have to make a fair amount of money before I legitimately claim that title?

Thanks,
    Teahi

Digsby Trace and setupdisc like this.

2. setupdisc

setupdisc Moderator Entrepreneur

Hi Teahi,

First of all, you can definitely make it out there because there are nearly 7 billion people in the world. Out of those 7 billion, if even 4 billion are online, and only 2 billion have young children that they would like to buy a book for online or in print, that is still 2,000,000,000 (2 bilion) people that could potentially pay to buy one of your books!

Even if only 1% of them ever found you, that is still an audience of 20 million people (20,000,000) that contemplate whether or not they will buy a book from you.

If only 1% of them buy a book from you each year, that is 200,000 books that they have ordered. If your book cost $4.95 each, that is $990,000 you would make in a year, which is just $10,000 short of being your first million.

Are you really worried about whether you would make it? If so, read this again and realize that your exposure may be double this if you play your cards right and find a way to appeal to your audience. I've included only the smallest figures here, just to give you an idea of how easily you could make between $250,000 to $500,000 even after taxes with something if you promote it correctly and efficiently.

If you are published in print, whether it's a magazine publication or an official book, then yes you are officially an author and can call yourself a writer. In many cases, just getting published online is enough to qualify you for that. Places such as Authorhouse.com and Xlibris among others specialize in helping first-time print authors getting their books into hardcopy, and also with marketing them to the masses.

Do you need them to do it? Not exactly. You can do it yourself, or you can go with one of them. You have so many options it's incredible, and there so many free and inexpensive resources out there for you that I wouldn't be able to put them all into just one or even ten posts on here.

Even if you have not earned a sustainable income or even a suitable amount from your books, the moment you are published you are an author regardless of your monetary standing on the return of your authorship. The moment someone has purchased just one of your books and is issued a printable and verifiable receipt for it, you can then claim the title for being a published author who has successfully sold one or more copies of your book.

Don't let the stigmata or the fear of reaching the top keep you from starting the journey to get there. If you are passionate about being an author and doing your books, then you should definitely do them and not let anyone tell you no. You will want to revise them and perfect them, and make sure you have adequate feedback of course...but don't let anything too overwhelming stop you from doing what's necessary to get started and get out there. :)

If you haven't bookmarked or seen the WritersDigest.com web site yet, I strongly suggest bookmarking this page and visiting there often. You'll find some other resources connected to that site which will guide you on your way. Just remember me if you make it big. ^_^

The Best 101 on Self-Publishing + Resources | WritersDigest.com

Digsby Trace and Teahi like this.
  3. Teahi

Teahi Entrepreneur

First off, thank you for taking the time to supply me with such a detailed answer, you have made me feel quite a bit better about my pursuit towards being a published author.

In answer to your question, am I really worried about whether I would make it? Yes, to a large extent I felt a bit of concern.

I want to write books, but I also want to maintain a sense of privacy. I don't want to do book signings and stuff like that, which I was thinking, as a new author, is something that you are almost fully obligated to do in order for your book(s) to be promoted properly. I had been thinking, "Will I be able to sell online and 'make it'? "

I don't want it to sound like I'm trying to put limits on what I'm willing to do to get my books recognized and read; but to be sure I would like for things to fall in line right from the very beginning, one of those things being that I want to maintain my privacy as a published author. I don't necessarily want the all the bright lights, but I do want 'the coin', and I want to make my family proud.

The other thing I had apprehension about is how to publish, and most importantly, where to publish. Those are two major issues, but I see that I'm going to just have to put some time and energy into research. I have this thing about not wanting to sign up with the wrong team; I want to be with a reputable company.

Thanks so much for referring me to the Writer's Digest site. I don't know why I didn't think of Writer's Digest before this.
    I've been a fan of Reader's Digest for a long time.

Again, thanks so much for your detailed answer. Makes me feel a lot better about things, especially when you broke down the numbers the way you did. When discussing my fears about publishing with someone who is very important in my life, it was said to me, "Of course someone will buy your books." That's why I titled this "Fearing the Ridiculous?" because I guess it seems ridiculous that I would fear not being able to sell even one book, but the fears that we have around business are irrational sometimes I suppose.

setupdisc likes this.
  4. Digsby Trace

Digsby Trace Entrepreneur

I self-published a book last year and only sold one copy, I still have the nine copies with me. But my dreams doesn't have to end there. Instead, I was motivated that even one person was interested to read my story and promise to improve my writing. I suggest that you join social networks where you can post your stories like wattpad. That's where I met my first buyer and I made a lot of friends there who give support and critical opinion about my stories. You don't have to be ashamed as they don't really know your identity. Then if you become confident with your story, you can now proceed on publishing it through hardcopy, as only few kids read books online. Writing requires patience, effort and a never ending passion. If you have that, you'll find all the means to make it happen. Don't let fear drag you down. Instead, write about that fear, make it a plot of your new story and you may end up writing your future best selling novel.

Teahi and setupdisc like this.
  5. Zac Johnson

Zac Johnson Entrepreneur

It's extremely tough to make "good money" with book publishing. In the world of business and entrepreneurship, it usually just a means of getting your name out there and getting paid more for speaking gigs.

However... here's a three step process to get things moving.

First off, who cares what anyone thinks -- just do what you want. Regret is worse than anything else.
    (If you wrote the book, you are a "writer" -- no one is going to argue with you on that)

Second, write your book, make sure it's amazing... then use Amazon KDP to publish your book. It's very simple and I went through this process as well.

Third, create a web site or blog to build a platform for yourself and your book. Build a mailing list to update people when you come out with your next book. Participate in online book clubs, groups and forums to get your name out there.

Teahi and setupdisc like this.