BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Fast-food workers strike, seeking $15 wage, political muscle

Discussion in 'General Business and Entrepreneurship' started by EF-Roger, Nov 10, 2015.

Share This Page

1. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

Fast-food workers demanding a $15 an hour wage walked out in dozens of cities early Tuesday morning, kicking off a year-long campaign to muster the political power of 64 million low-wage workers in next year's presidential election.

The protests, which will take place in 270 cities, mark the workers' largest show of force in the three years since they launched a series of rallies to call for higher pay and the right to unionize, according to Fight for $15, which represents the workers and is backed by the Service Employees International Union.

Tens of thousands of workers and supporters were expected to take part in Tuesday's demonstrations, which began around dawn at McDonald's outlets in downtown Brooklyn, Boston and Philadelphia, among other locations. Protests in as many as 700 additional cities were planned by low-paid home care, child care, farm,FedEx, nursing home and other workers throughout the day.

Read more Fast-food workers strike, seeking $15 wage, political muscle

2. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

I bet a soon as they walked out of their jobs a bunch of illegal immigrants and teenagers ran in and applied for those same positions that other people don't think are good enough. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I did not make $15 a hour until I had been fired and laid off a few times and gained enough skill to ask for it. I had to go through the trenches of the job market to get that. You don't just get it because you want it. I also was not working at McDonald's. I was a receptionist working the front desk with a multi-line phone that never stopped ringing, heavy filing, sorting mail, and running errands.

People can strike all they want, but until they learn a skill that will put them at the top of some industry or market, or start a business with a niche product that is different from everyone else's product, they will continue to have to work for $3 an hour.

Instead of striking, why don't they spend that time learning a new skill or looking for a second job? I have always kept more than one job, no matter how much I was making. I own a business now, but even still, I have more than one business. One business does not pay me enough to live the way I want to live. So I create more businesses until I am at the income level I want to be at. These people need to do the same.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

Trying to work out just exactly what $15 an hour equates to over here in the UK. At the current rates that's about £9.80 an hour, and considering that our minimum wage is set to £6.70 an hour (about $10) then what they're asking for does seem a bit high in my opinion.

4. harpazo22

harpazo22 Entrepreneur

Well I can understand why they are frustrated. You just cannot live off of minimum wage in this country. Rates for living are too high all around the states. If people weren't so greedy and asked for so much for rent, they could make it. But you just can't do it, it's impossible. I'm sure a lot of them have 2 or 3 jobs altogether just to try to make it. And that's all they do, make it. They live paycheck to paycheck.

5. William Clements

William Clements Moderator Business Owner Entrepreneur

This is a very strong subject. I first want to address @harpazo22 comments above. Although, I worked in the food industry and other min wage jobs, although, I understand their frustration, min wage is not meant to be able to support yourself fully. It does work for teenagers and what not but I do agree that people need to learn new skills to be able to find a job that pays way more. I also, have not heard any talk about what will happen if they got their wish of $15/hour. I do not think people realize that if that is honored, they will all be unemployed and machines will take their place. Although, a few employees/managers will still be there (that already make more than the min), ,most will be laid off. Such places cannot pay that much as they do not charge enough for food to cover the wage it would increase too. If you think about McDonald's, a meal is about $5-6/meal but if that min happens and they decided not to lay people off, then they would need to double or triple the price. So now we are looking at $10 - $16/meal and then they would go out of business and everyone would be unemployed anyways. As you see, this much of an increase will not help but hurt everyone it effects.

Learn more at http://www.wsj.com/articles/minimum-wage-backfire-1413934569

Who is ready to be unemployed? All those who are protesting will get their wish with the government and then be unemployed so they need to weigh there options. They need to either learn new stills for higher paying jobs, continue to struggle with their wage or go bankrupt when they have no job. Choose it theirs, that is all I have to say!