BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Nikita

Nikita Entrepreneur

I think if you were to ask anyone about a failed website that was once popular, MySpace would be somewhere on the top of that list. I don't exactly know where they went wrong, but I was surprised to hear that they still exist and have now transitioned into a music based social site. I think this is somewhat of a wrong move and that it will only be a matter of time until it fails again because the brand is already too tainted to the point where it has become a bit of a joke now, but who knows maybe they know something I don't.

Do you remember any failed websites of the past? Where are they now? Where do you think they could have done something differently?

2. remnant

remnant Entrepreneur

The internet is littered with a catalogue of failed websites and the toll is increasing by the day. Most of there failures have to do with payment issues and unsustainability of investment programs. I was a member of the paid to click site Probox. They started by banning members randomly and without reason, followed by restriction of the payment window. Some sites fail to evolve new strategies and are soon overtaken by events like the content sharing site Squidoo.

3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

Friendster was one of the best examples of a failed website that has once been extremely popular. I think they still do exist, but as far as I know, it's a gaming site now.

Digsby Trace and Corazon like this.
  4. thedude

thedude Entrepreneur

I don't know much about big failed sites. I do know about my personal failed sites. I had a good blog about a popular pc game at the time getting hundreds of hits a day, I stopped posting articles and the blog doesn't get much hits at all now. In the blogging world, you need consistent content and returning visitors as this shows google you are a legit website so they rank you higher.

5. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

The first question most people ask is, what is Friendster? :D Friendster is the one that failed before Myspace, then Myspace failed after. They failed to fix their slow website and could not handle all the site traffic, then myspace became more popular. There was a time where many south Asians started spamming Friendster users which caused many people to leave the site.
    Besides Friendster, I think Google plus was a fail too.

6. jona

jona Entrepreneur

Oh my... haven't you heard about the dot-com bubble? In the year 2000 the internet basically exploded... those were really wild days with sites like boo.com spending 188$ million of funding in a few months before collapsing. Do you remember the pets.com Super Bowl ad? Or the company Webvan?

If you are serious about entrepreneurship I seriously recommend you read about these failed cases, the wikipedia article is a good stars. All these companies were textbook examples of what you should avoid at all costs when launching your business, no business plans, no idea about how to turn a profit, excessive spending on stuff like chairs and office spaces, really funny and tragic stuff.

7. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

facebook was built on the idea of myspace, however, facebook became one of the biggst company and myspace is in the dark corner. Once there was a social site called Hi5 just like facebook, don't know if it still exist.

Digsby Trace likes this.
  8. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

You are right, Friendster is still around but on a different type of website now, not a social media anymore. Sometime in 2004 when I was introduced to Friendster. I was wondering what it was for. My friend said, all you need to do is invite friends. Is that it? Yes was the answer. Although I created an account, I didn't see the relevance to me of that site. It's really far from Facebook which I am quite enjoying now.

By the way, I have read in several forums that Yahoo mail is on the way out due to the brink of bankruptcy it is facing. I still have to confirm this although I had read in the news that the CEO of Yahoo plus some other top officials have recently resigned.

9. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

I also was member on some of the big writing sites such as Squidoo and Helium which stopped functioning in 2014. These were big companies. Another site that I know which failed is Bubblews.

10. Cleveland76

Cleveland76 Entrepreneur

I didn't even realize that Squidoo had been shut down. I remember them being rather popular years ago when I attended several search engine marketing conferences back in 2007 and 2009. Apparently they were acquired by Hubpages from what I just read. I do also recall they got slapped by Google a few years ago as well, for putting out too much thin content and spamming their search results. They were rather popular among spammers as well, which also probably had something to do with their demise.

I would say AOL could be listed here as well. As popular and ubiquitous as they were in the early to mid 90's, they were also a total mess. By the late 90's when they went to unlimited access and quickly got overloaded, that was the final nail in their coffin. I will admit though, I used to have a blast with messing with people on AOL back during it's heyday. There were so many bugs and exploits in their desktop software that hackers were regularly publishing tools to screw with people on there. For example, there was a tool called AOHell which would trick their software into not billing you by minute for being online, so people were getting unlimited access on there long before they even offered it. There were also programs called Punters which would allow you to kick someone offline simply by sending them am specific string of characters in an IM. It was also really easy to spoof someone in a chat room, and make it look like they were saying things that they weren't. I got a lot of people in trouble doing that, lol.

Digsby Trace likes this.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

Judging by the posts on the thread si far, there's numerous sites online that have either failed to take off, or, if they have they've experienced a boom but then the bust as other sites took over and took their place.

While I'm no expert on websites, I'd imagine that sites will get a bit lazy over a period of time and then that's when they get swamped by the next big thing that comes along.

12. Bonyi

Bonyi Entrepreneur

I only know of small sites that failed and not the big ones. The name of the site is pay for youths. As far as I'm concerned, this site did not last at all.

13. Digsby Trace

Digsby Trace Entrepreneur

I was really sad when Friendster closed as a social network and turned into a gaming site. I have plenty of memories in this site compared to facebook since this was the first social site I've used. I think they're on a break now because their effort to promote it as a gaming site also didn't click. I had myspace too but I wasn't active there. I think it would be better for myspace to go back into it's old format as the website sucks now. After all, I know a lot of people who missed the old social network that we loved. I do wonder until when facebook will be succesful and excited about new social sites innovation that will come out and take-over the success of facebook. I love Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg but honestly, it's getting boring over there.

14. Digsby Trace

Digsby Trace Entrepreneur

Facebook offers more service than myspace. I think it was the chat function that made a huge difference. One reason why I got hooked with facebook is the apps and games. It was very popular in early days. What I missed about myspace though is the customized profile which I enjoy doing and the glittered testimonials you can post on each other's wall. You can also put playlist on your profile. Hi5 still exist but things are not the same thing over there. It became similar to Zorpia and Badoo. Something like a dating site. They can bid for you which is really annoying.

15. Debbie Allen

Debbie Allen Entrepreneur

MSN Groups! They don't have anymore and it has been a very long time ago that they decided to move everyone and closed the Groups. The sent people to Multiply and that failed and they also sent people to YUKU, which is hanging on my a thread now. They should have hung on for another year.

Bubblews! This was just recent like in the last three years. also failed because they weren't knowledgeable enough to run an on-line site and they were too arrogant to hear and listen to others. This site seriously needed someone with an open mind and the ability to learn and listen.

I did have a MySpace account and that was a horrible site and so glad that I don't visit there anymore.

Yahoo Groups! I still have one but since MSN changed to BING and then bought out Yahoo, it has been a mess. They have no real customer support. and the groups no longer work correctly. I am not so sure about them anymore.

There you have my thoughts on some of the sites that started off great and took a quick nose-dive when they changed. Sometimes the say goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Debbie Allen
    a.k.a. Lady Guinevere

16. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

Could Yahoo be classed as a failed website though, and also MySpace, because let's not forget, they DID have a number of successful years.

The fact they have been surpassed by other sites that do what they did but better, doesn't mean they've failed as such, it just means that times have moves on but they've failed to keep up.

17. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

Well I got a good laugh when thinking about sites like Friendster and MySpace, and of course there are just so may other ones out there that it is difficult to think of. Google Plus is another one that was mentioned, Napster comes to mind. All of those downloading sites really like Kazaa and Bear Share really went away. This is a fun little exercise and it really takes you back.

18. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

Does anyone here remember AltaVista or AOL?

I too have had several projects that failed. At one point, I was rewriting news from engadget and mashable and was hoping that I would attract thousands of visitors per month. Well, I didn't. I tried a lot of SEO techniques on some MFA websites, which kind of worked, but also brought me to the point where I was one step away from having my Adsense account deactivated.

19. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I'm not 100% sure I'd include the file sharing sites in there as a failure necessarily as they were doing extremely well before they fell victim to copyright infringement and violations, so I'm not sure they had much choice in having to shut down.

FBI criminal investigations aren't good for business, haha!

20. swalia

swalia Entrepreneur

Orkut was widely popular before facebook came and wiped it off the scene. Bubblews was another widely popular writing site which was shut down few weeks back. There are so many sites which were quite popular but then they vanished when better sites came on the scene.