BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Small Business, and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. ctfranklin28

ctfranklin28 Member

This forum has a post about how you start your day, so I wanted to ask about how you end your day, particularly your workday.

I've noticed that my sleep is better when I follow a routine of closing everything down and putting it away rather than falling in a fit of exhaustion. While I may not do an end of the workday routine everyday, I do it often.

What do you do to signal the end of work and wind down for the evening?

setupdisc likes this.

2. ruener79

ruener79 Member

My end of the day routine is pretty much typical. I log on to Facebook to check in with my friends. Most of my friends are outside the country, and it's only through FB that we get to communicate via group chat. After a few minutes of that, I read a good book. Sometimes I fall asleep doing that. If that doesn't happen, I watch a little TV. Generally, my activities are limited to me not thinking about work. Oh, COLD fresh milk ends my day with a happy note.

3. ctfranklin28

ctfranklin28 Member

I love that you wind down with a good book. I could not end my day with Facebook, however, because I would miss sleep! Social media always keeps me sleep-deprived! As far as the milk, I've read that milk contains trytophan, which induces sleep. A quick Google search, though, led me to believe that this may not be the case! (See here: Warm Milk, True or False? « Sleep Well)

4. Cleveland76

Cleveland76 Member

This is something I definitely need to work on, since I've had trouble getting to sleep at night for over 10 years now. My end of the workday routine is generally poor, since I never really stop doing work related stuff well into the evening, then wind up not getting much sleep at all, before it all starts over again the following day.

Things got particularly bad when I took a work from home role with an insurance carrier on the west coast. I'm on a 4 hour time difference with them, but the rest of my team was out in California while I was working from my home in Ohio. So their workday would end right around 9pm my time. This became a real hassle, because they would be shooting me emails at 7 or 8pm, then getting irate when I wouldn't reply to them until the following morning. So I would end up checking my laptop throughout the evening, long after I should have called it a day, and relaxed for the rest of the evening.

On top of that, I had started drinking more to get to sleep at night. So after dealing with them till about 9pm or so, I would stay up a little longer for the late night shows, along with a few cocktails before hitting the sack. This really would just leave me drained the following morning, and I would say, really unproductive for the first few hours of my workdays.

5. ctfranklin28

ctfranklin28 Member

This is something that I've come to realize only after years of just falling out in exhaustion. It's not a sustainable way of life. At times, it may be called for. Especially when you're working on building something from the ground up. You need to squeeze every moment of the day. Ultimately, though, it is not a way to keep growing. Our bodies run down and so does every thing connected with it (our mental, social, and physical efforts at work).

I also learned that going through a wind-down routine serves a trigger for the brain to shut off thinking about work. If I don't put my laptop out of sight, I'll think about email or social media or why that client didn't hire me. Instead, I put it away.

Lastly, you have to come to realization that if you are still exhausting yourself months and years after something has been created, then you're not managing your best investments (time and you as a person) right. There will always be another email, another to-do list, and another client. There won't always be another you.

My advice: Start with one thiing, like close your laptop screen every day at a set time. Try do for 21-30 days and see how it goes. If you mess up, don't worry about it. Do it the next day. It's how I started. I just closed the laptop screen, nothing else.

I'm not perfect at it now, but it does help that I have a routine to fall back on. Otherwise, I fall into the default "overwork 'till I fall out" mode.

6. djentre

djentre Member

I write down what I want to accomplish. Dictate reminders to my VA app so she would remind me the next day about things. I watch the late night show or something funny online to relax. I then turn off the computer, put away the tab, and simply head over to a couple of interesting websites using my phone. I sometimes read books, but generally, I read online. I read things that are important or seem important for any normal person, like going through the news, etc. Yes I go through the news in the morning and at the end of the day. Lastly, I email myself the most important 2 or 3 things that absolutely must get done. By this point, my eyes are already pretty tired, so I put away my phone (on silent mode) and don't look at it until morning.

Although, sometimes some idea just comes into my head, and then I really do have to go online, but nowadays I simply do a search and bookmark things that I find important. And then I send myself another mail about the new information and then go to sleep. I open the mails the next day and so I basically pause my excitement until I get enough sleep.

ctfranklin28 likes this.
  7. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

It's weird that I don't really wind down at night because night is where my work begins. I am a stay at home mom and during the day, that's when I do chores and sleep for a few hours, maybe four. So before sleeping at that time, I always try to finish everything I need to do. Sweeping the floor, cleaning the bathroom, laundry and all things house related. Then I go to sleep.

Yeah, it's a bit chaotic and busy around here. It's gotten me super tired and restless but the only way I can work is at night. Maybe when my son's in school, I would have a proper end of the workday routine.:p

8. ctfranklin28

ctfranklin28 Member

I understand that because I have worked night jobs (part-time and full-time). It cam be a little difficult, but not impossible because our default schedule is for the morning and afternoon hours. That being said, our bodies still run on a rhythm and can adapt to almost any time. The trick is to create those safe harbors of consistency amidst the chaos.

briannagodess likes this.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Member

I just always follow my work schedule. I would be online around 9 a.m., and by then, I would have started doing some freelance writing. By 5 p.m, that's when I would stop working online for the day.

10. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

Thank you for those encouraging words! It's nice to find somebody who knows what I'm going through since most people in my life don't know what it's like to have that change of routine. I think working at night is fine for the most part. My only problem is that the only sleep I get at the most is four hours and that's why I'm restless most of the time.

ctfranklin28 likes this.
  11. Federico.Gimeno

Federico.Gimeno Member

One will never run out of work, so the best way to end the day is to record your progress in order to be able to take off where you left. It's not worth it to work extra hours if it's nothing critical, you'll always have your plate full though. After the end of the shift, I usually go have a couple of beers with friends or land at home early and watch movies with my wife and daughter. At nights, I work online a couple of hours and then I go to sleep.

12. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Member

Lately, I've been ending my day with a fine sip of this magnificent Canadian Crown Royal XR. This was a very fine and appreciated birthday gift from Oliver Kenyon and Fix Forums!

Thank You Oliver & Fix Forums!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    setupdisc likes this.
  13. setupdisc

setupdisc Member

I try to eat something light, listen to some enjoyable music, do some meditation or exercise, and then go to bed after a shower to sleep as much as I can before getting a start on the new day.

14. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well it really depends on how stressful the day was, but on a day when I feel pretty good I try to relax and spend some time with the family. On the more frustrating day, I am still with the family but I tend to be a little more isolated and try to relax and go to sleep early.

setupdisc likes this.
  15. Corazon

Corazon Member

When dismissal time comes and I have no more meetings or important things to do, I sit down for about 5 to 10 minutes to prepare my to do list for the next day. But before adding items, I check if my list for the day was accomplished successfully otherwise I would add in the next day's to do the continuation. I also check my emails again just to be sure that I had replied to those needing immediate attention. And when everything's done, that's the time I leave the office.