BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Employee Morale

Discussion in 'General Business and Entrepreneurship' started by Take Career of Yourself, Sep 16, 2015.

How is employee morale in your office?

1. Everyone is pumped, stoked, and amp'd up!

33.3%
  2. Shhh! It's nap time. Right after play time.

33.3%
  3. My employees are literally killing each other.

16.7%
  4. I'm the only employee and I'm happy!

16.7%

Share This Page

1. Take Career of Yourself

Take Career of Yourself Entrepreneur

Whether big, small, new or established, employee morale plays a crucial role in the success of any business. Company’s that promote an atmosphere that both supports employees and rewards productive behavior guarantee they are obtaining maximum productivity from the individuals they employ. By utilizing a few simple techniques to ensure employees feel appreciated and incentivized to work, a company can guarantee employee “buy-in” and a positive work environment.

The first step to developing a positive work atmosphere is to ensure employees understand their role within the company. When I began my first position as a manager, I was surprised by the level of time I had to commit to employee dissatisfaction. It seemed that every week there was a new problem associated with a company directive. I spent a sizeable amount of my time fielding these complaints and ensuring they did not spiral into a bigger problem. I soon realized that there was a larger issue behind many of these disputes—the company’s approach to employee relations produced a detrimental environment that promoted dissatisfaction and stratification.

Instead of framing company directives in a manner that made employees feel in opposition to them, I made sure they understood their overall role and importance to the company’s mission. Employees understood how new directives benefited the business and how their participation was crucial to the company’s success. Clear communication about the mission of the company helped clear up a sizeable amount of the dissatisfaction and combativeness by employees to new directives...Read More Here

omison likes this.

2. Jade

Jade Entrepreneur

Agreed, because when I started a company that ultimately failed (working, not running), I was so lost. I did so many different things, didn't have a nailed down job title etc etc.

The company did not last long.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

Employee morale is important if you want a business to work well. I've worked in a number of offices in the past, both with good and bad morale, and bad morale can kill any business stone dead.

If your employees aren't happy, and don't want to go to work, then your obviously not going to get the best out of them and no matter what incentives or bonusses you offer won't make a difference.

Your employees have to want to work for you, respect you and also know that you respect and will not only listen to their problems, but also act on them to fix the situation aswell. I think a lot of employers say their door is always open, but there's no point in listening to people's problems, if your not going to attempt to fix them.

4. Take Career of Yourself

At least you seem to have analyzed the situation and learned from the mistakes that happened. Hopefully it wasn't an expensive lesson! I've worked in offices where the managers would just give the employees instructions and tell them to get it done, without actually explaining why. If you simply explain the reason behind the action, the employees will begin to understand the bigger picture, and eventually everyone will be working for the benefit of the company, instead of just for the benefit of themselves.

5. Take Career of Yourself

This is very true. I can understand that an employer cannot get too involved in their employees personal situations, however a manager can still listen to their employees and provide advice whenever possible. I've had to deal with so much of this, ranging from employees with multiple deaths in their family, to employees getting arrested, as well as getting in disputes with other employees (my personal least favorite because it affects the productivity of the employees involved, including all of the water cooler gossipers).

A ten minute conversation with an employee about their issues can seriously change things. Especially if you relate their situation to how it's affecting their performance and how you want to help them.

6. Jade

Jade Entrepreneur

Here's the thing:

No matter how big a company.. every single person needs to feel valued. I worked at a major theatre company and they had weekly meetings sharing with us company. They told us individually what WE did to make things move forward and what WE do to keep focus.

Felt great, man.

7. mtayp01

mtayp01 Entrepreneur

As someone who's recently been to lots of job interviews, I could say with certainty that a good working environment with a high employee morale definitely tops my list of requirements in looking for a potential employer. The pay may be good, and the company may be on its way to greater heights, but if employees feel unmotivated to complete their jobs due to workplace stressors, I don't think the business could take off and succeed in the long run.

8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I have worked in an office before that had pretty decent employee morale. However, I felt somehow unhappy with my working environment. Probably because I felt a little out place. I was just the only newbie in the office. Everyone already knew one another. It was so difficult for me to fit in. I was also way younger than them. I was able to finish my contract with the company though.

9. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

I live in a former communist country where a lot of the entrepreneurs don't care about the morale of the employees. In fact, most of the business owners in my part of the country treat their employees as if they were superior to them. Obviously, this is one of the reasons why the economy is so slow, asides from most of the people being either chronically lazy or purely incompetent.

This is why I want my own business, but also the reason why I work online. I don't want to be treated like s**t by a person who was lucky enough to receive some money from their parents to start his own business.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I think that's we're a lot of businesses fail, because the owner hadn't had to work to acquire the business, a lot of the time they've been handed it, or been given the money to start up without actually earning it.

If you've never had a boss or a manager, then in my opinion it's very hard to be one. As regards to the morale of your employees, you won't care how they feel at work, as long as they do the job and continue to earn you money and that's not really the attitude to have when running a business in my opinion.

11. TobiasW

TobiasW Entrepreneur

I couldn't agree more about the importance of knowing that what you do contributes to the success of the organisation - and exactly how. A new boss took over our department and had us all prepare a one-line answer to the question often asked by visitors: and what do you do?

Our response had to consist not of our job title, but of the effect we had in performing our role, so not 'I work on the help desk' but 'I help new students use our computer systems'. It seemed very cheesy as an exercise, but it did make us all think and comparing our answers with each others was a boost to morale in itself!

12. bcpatters

bcpatters Entrepreneur

As an employer, maintaining morale is exhausting. Everything isn't always rainbows and unicorns. I'd like to see all these people who "need to feel valued" try to be the ones running the business - most wouldn't want that stress and certainly wouldn't want to have to constantly worry if their workforce is "motivated enough".