BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Do you think a successful business should have an in house Graphic Designer on hand at all times?

Discussion in 'Employees and Human Resources' started by bria1, Jan 22, 2016.

Share This Page

1. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

I have been in business with my husband for years now. I have noticed that most of the time it is imperative that we have visuals floating around to help others to understand our vision for the business. How important do you think this aspect of marketing is to your businesses success? Do you think a successful business should have an in house Graphic Designer on hand at all times?

2. Federico.Gimeno

Federico.Gimeno Entrepreneur

Having your "own" graphics designer would be the ideal situation. But well, you have to pay a permanent salary. I think it depends on how often you need graphic design services. If you only need new graphics one or twice a month, It may not be worth it. It also depends on how complex the designs you have in mind are. You may be able to get away doing it yourself or contacting a cheaper designer.

3. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

You only need to have them in-house if graphic design is the primary focus of your business, and even then may not be so necessary depending on the size of your business.

Outsourcing is more than 80% of design and graphics these days.

VirtualGlobalPhone likes this.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

It depends on what kind of business you have, and how huge it is. But yes, having your own graphic designer would be really ideal specially if you're doing a lot of internet marketing.

5. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

If the business needs a lot of designing work and can pay for the highly skilled designer, it is always better to have an in house designer. However, if the business does not need a lot of designs and do not have enough budget for an in house designer, outsourcing is better.

6. ruener79

ruener79 Entrepreneur

Do you have the budget for it? Can you sustain the employment, and the benefits if you hire? Will the amount you pay for the in-house designer commensurate to the amount of work you are to give? Will his output generally help your company's bottomline? It is one thing to have the convenience of an in-house designer for marketing purposes, but it's quite another thing whether said designer's output can translate to increasing the value of your business. So, I guess these are the things to consider if you wish to hire one on a regular and permanent capacity.

Ladyferoz likes this.
  7. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Entrepreneur

I agree with many that it all depends on the type of business you are running and what type of products you are using the designs for. I have employed an in-house graphic designer for about 2 years now. I appreciate his work ethic, organization, and completion times. It would cut in on a lot of time if we outsourced all of our project designs, and would probably cost us more in the end for revisions, updates, etc. Now the question is, where does one find the perfect graphic designer?

8. Valerie

Valerie Entrepreneur

Wouldn't we all love our own graphic designer on hand? Unfortunately, having a resident artist may not be budget friendly for a small business. Besides, a lot of graphic designers don't settle in one location. They're a fairly nomadic bunch, seeking multiples jobs from a dozen different businesses all at once. If you could afford them the amount of work needed to make permanent residence at your business worth it, then yes, go for it. However, as others have said, outsourcing is better.

Personally, I'd rather network and create rapport with a bunch of graphic designers and have multiple styles and personalities to choose from. While I'm also into graphic designing, my style is very different from some others I'm acquainted with. It's nice knowing you don't have to get stuck with one perspective.

9. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

If you have the budget to pay for an inhouse graphic designer why not? But like what they said it depends to what kind of business you had and if there is really a need for this kind of marketing promotion. And before you hire someone think first if the income you will earn from the products or services you are trying to market in the business industry will commensurate to the amount that you will pay for your inhouse graphic design.

10. Nikita

Nikita Entrepreneur

I think it's only necessary when the price you would pay for a monthly salary is less than what you would pay for if you would buy each work individually. If I needed only a limited amount of designs and didn't feel like I would need new ones made for a long period of time then it would make more sense just to buy the designs individually. As always I think referring to the math of it all is the most practical way of figuring out which one to go with.

11. jona

jona Entrepreneur

Graphic design is one of the first things that you should outsource if possible.

I mean, you don't even have to interact with real designers and pay hefty freelance costs, the Internet is full of places where you can obtain professional created graphical design assets for reasonable prices, from logos, stock images, to entire web site templates.

Just try to avoid the free stuff, it usually looks, well, cheap.

12. doodles67

doodles67 Entrepreneur

I does depend upon your business. If you are in advertising or in a business that generates graphics regularly, it makes sense to have an in-house graphic designer; however, if your business does not need to generate graphics often, outsource it to a freelance graphic designer or use crowd workers who can design your product.

13. Nancy

Nancy Entrepreneur

I agree with the others - whether you should hire an in-house graphic designer depends on your business and you budget. You can hire freelancers from across the world to do individual jobs at very affordable prices. You must ask others who they use and try a few before you find a good fit. You can also hire design students a local college or tech school if you just need an occasional job done.

14. acedragon

acedragon Entrepreneur

If it's for something like visuals to help in meetings and presentations, I think it's not advisable to hire an in-house designer for that. That kind of work is pretty simple, it can be given to any suitable employee that has basic graphic making skills. You can even do it yourself if you have the time and skills. If your main business does not involve a lot of graphics, it's better to contract a freelance artist instead for things like advertisements.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  15. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

Hmmm... It depends on your business. In general, any person who can make the business more professional-looking is an asset to the company. In this case, the in-house graphic designer is a good investment. It makes your business have its own logo and brand. People will notice that professionalism and calibre of work done in the business. You won't have to worry about making your own designs as well.

The downside is, it might be expensive especially for small business owners. But if you got the money for it, why not? After all, business is business and we will do anything to make it a successful venture. I imagine businesses like software, clothing and even e-commerce sites might benefit from an in-house graphic designer.

16. Gregory Montes

Gregory Montes Entrepreneur

I think a business should have 2 on-call designers. being in-house never fits well with their lifestyle anyway.

17. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

Absolutely .. no doubt about it. Simply because its a successful business ... and the result of success is design copy right, TM, control, security, stand by for any changes instantly, on going maintenance to name a few.