BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. setupdisc

setupdisc Moderator Entrepreneur

I've been curious as to how many people buy electronics, clothing, or other items used or new.

When the economy tightens, the seconhand markets seem to flourish. Although the major corporations are starting to see a sales slump, some markets have done better because people stopped buying new (or stopped being able to buy new?) with how things are financially.

What's your outlook on the future of retail and commercial goods in America, Europe, Asia, and the global marketplace? Do you see people buying new still, will it be a 50/50 between new and used, or will most people only buy new if they have to?

Digsby Trace likes this.

2. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

Depends on what are talking about. I buy both.

setupdisc likes this.
  3. setupdisc

setupdisc Moderator Entrepreneur

Well, I'm wondering because it seems that ever since the economy started to change drastically, people would only buy certain things new and other things used...and it's never what it seems. Asking 20 or 30 people over the course of a few days which they prefer just between things like elecotrnics and clothing, it's all over the place. It's hard to get a lock on it. I'm doing this partially for me, but more for someone else to help them with their demographics.

One thing I did notice (just in America only) is that men seem to be ok more with buying clothing used more than women are, and that women seem to be ok with buying electronics used more than men, but other than that, it's harder to see the pattern than it used to be. The exception to the rule is that women said they would be "ok" with buying used clothes from a "store that sold used clothes for women"...but not so much from an individual who sold clothes, even if they were selling exactly the same thing for less.

I'm wondering what other trends can be seen or visualized from responses, and why people feel that way.

I suppose for you, what things would make you not want to buy used or new EF-Roger? (If it's a computer system, article of clothing, vehicle, etc)

4. harpazo22

harpazo22 Entrepreneur

Electronics are definitely something I buy brand new. Clothing I'll buy used.

setupdisc likes this.
  5. Shishir Giri

Shishir Giri Entrepreneur

It depends on the quality of product. For example, for a long lasting good quality product like furniture or a car, I would prefer getting a good condition second hand. But for a simple and temporary product like phones or electronics, I buy first hand.

setupdisc likes this.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

When it comes to gadgets/electronics, I prefer them brand new. But when it comes to clothes, I am fine with buying second-hand items. It really depends on the quality of a certain product.

setupdisc likes this.
  7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

I already had experienced buying used items and it even gave me additional expenses for repairing like for example after how many days of use only like in the case of electronics and gadgets. And when it comes to used clothes the quality is not good anymore. That is why now I always prefer to buy brand new when it comes to electronics, gadgets and clothes.

setupdisc likes this.
  8. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

It depends, honestly. I would never buy clothes that have been worn, but I would never buy a brand new telephone or a brand new car. Why would I? They tend to lose a lot of value over time, reason why I prefer to buy used ones.

setupdisc likes this.
  9. Roxabox

Roxabox Entrepreneur

I prefer to buy used cars just because they're thousands of dollars cheaper. As long as it runs and gets me from point A to point B comfortably I don't care if it's brand spankin new. As for electronics the closest thing to "used" I'll go is manufacturer refurbished.

setupdisc likes this.
  10. swalia

swalia Entrepreneur

I prefer buying new things. Somehow I am never inclined to buy used goods though they will cost cheaper. I feel that there might be some defect in it.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I'd also rather buy new if I can, especially when it comes to items such as electronics, for the business and also for my own personal use.

While buying used, you can pick up some bargains but I think it's just false economy in the long run and the devices you buy won't last as long as a new product so you might end up paying more, having to replace them more often.

12. Digsby Trace

Digsby Trace Entrepreneur

I always love buying old stuff such as books and novelty items. I also buy second-hand electronics but I seldom buy old clothes. I'm afraid that some of the old clothes have smell and I think I deserve to wear new clothes and shoes. It's not because of the crisis why I buy old items. I just prefer reading old books and some books are not being printed anymore so I buy them old. I'm also attracted in antiques especially figurines and toys. While electronics like phones and coffee machine, as long as they work, it's fine with me.

13. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB Entrepreneur

Depends on what it is! Electronics, furniture, etc: if I can get it cheaper and in good condition used? Then absolutely! I also customize dolls/figurines, so I tend to buy those on eBay cheap instead of buying them straight from a store for triple the price. But clothing I prefer to go new on.

14. Errol Williams

Errol Williams Entrepreneur

It depends on what I am buying. Some things I will always buy new, some I will always buy used. For example, I don't mind buying 2nd hand electronics if the item is in good condition. One thing my instructor would always say is, never buy a new car before you are 30. I have taken that advice to heart, cars are a terrible investment anyway. If an item is cheap in prize I will buy it new just to save on convenience. So it boils down to each individual situation.

15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

Most of the time, I prefer buying new things, specially when it comes to clothes and electronics. But since I am such a bookworm and a book-hoarder, as long as it's a good book, I don't care if it's old or new. I would buy it for sure.

16. ProxyRadar

ProxyRadar Entrepreneur

Only new, I have never bought used things

17. jamepeytoni011

jamepeytoni011 Entrepreneur

I love to buy new things....

18. Marketer

Marketer Entrepreneur

I was out of work for awhile and started shopping at Goodwill and Salvation Army. When I got a job that required black pants I found a great selection at $5 or less. I live in a college town and the students bought lots of black pants for their restaurant jobs. They usually had more money than I did and bought nice stuff. As they went on to 'career jobs' after graduation they donated their pants locally. Often I could get 5-7 pair of nice pants for the price of one new pair.

I also love yard sales, estate sales and thrift stores. I 're-make' items for crafts and buy estate and vintage jewelry and wool sweaters and coats to re-purpose. It is a gold mine of opportunity!

19. eProject

eProject Entrepreneur

I prefer buying new things since I am keen about the warranty. Most people sell their goods as second hand because they have defects, that is why I usually avoid buying second hand goods. But when one does not have enough money then they may be forced to buy second hand goods after making sure that they are in good condition.

20. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

Most of the time I like to get items that are used if they are of great quality and in excellent condition. I love vintage bags, old records, video games, and I can go on and on. I say whatever you do make sure it is money well spent on something that will last.