BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

I had never heard of the term, "Founder's Blues" until I read a Globe and Mail article by Chris Gory. This is a Canadian news source but I have a feeling that mental health issues don't worry about borders. :)

The article points out that many startups end in failure and even the ones that succeed, often contain a roller coaster of highs and lows. The fear of looming failure, the stress and burnout, contribute to mental health issues for 72% of entrepreneurs, compared to 7% of the general public.

Why?

Immense pressure, anxiety, long hours, high expectations and overwork when starting and building a business. It's particularly bad for those whose expectations are unrealistically high. They lose focus and passion and can become very depressed.

Lack of self-care and suffering in silence create a perfect breeding ground for Founder's Blues.

Gory's article suggests that entrepreneurs have realistic expectations, take care of themselves and have support systems in place. That includes seeking help for stress and depression.

Do you know of anyone who has or has had, Founder's Blues?

VirtualGlobalPhone likes this.

2. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

Have been there and done that @azgold ! I went through this after I sold Automated Data Supply in the late eighties. It was like losing a child. I had to do it to properly settle my divorce. I went through a period of depression and anxiety for about a year. Then I poured myself into a new and exciting project that made me a bundle of money. It was the cure for me.

I know that people, in general, will never understand the loss one feels when they have to part with a business they built. Whether the separation from the business is failure, or forced sale, having to give up something you have nurtured with your every breath is a difficult process.

That said, no matter how many folks say money can't buy happiness, they are full of crap! A new project and boat loads of money brought an abundance of happiness my way.

VirtualGlobalPhone likes this.
  3. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

Very nice topic @azgold , its because article / topic like these i keep coming back good one... keep it up.

Having said that i want to put across that, As longs as one driven by passion - joy and happiness, loss or profit or letting go shouldn't trouble. We all are here with a limited time so give a best now! .

The moment any of the unseen future thoughts trouble stop pause and re-establish the path. Things will come for sure!

azgold likes this.
  4. azgold

That's what I assumed it would be likened to. Very difficult.

I've been on both sides of that coin and agree with you that it's better and happier to have money than to not have it!

5. azgold

Thanks! :)

True I think. However, I also know that letting go can be easier said than done because we become emotionally attached. Like TJ said, things we pour our heart and soul into become like our children. I believe that's why we have problems when we have separate ourselves from them.

I know what you're saying and I agree with you completely. Just saying that most of us (me included) haven't mastered that yet.

Absolutely right!

Great advice, thanks!