BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

[​IMG]

Just hours after Chipotle Mexican Grill’s CEO Steven Ells pledged to become a food safety leader in the fast food industry, yet another restaurant in Seattle was shut down by health inspectors for multiple “food safety violations”. The temporary closure comes at a time when the Mexican Grill is struggling to regain the public’s trust after widespread E. coli and norovirus outbreaks sickened hundreds of people in numerous locations across the U.S.

In the wake of the food poisoning outbreaks, the once bustling restaurant appears to be having trouble retaining its customer base. Chipotle restaurants that were once characterized by long lines during peak dining hours are now frequently seen with empty tables and chairs. The International Business Times interviewed a man at one location who said he was shocked at how barren a New York location was. “I was surprised that there wasn’t a big line – there usually is a big line”, he said. “But now I know why”.

Read more at: Chipotle Struggles To Regain Public’s Trust Following Boston Norovirus Outbreak

2. Apolloniac

Apolloniac Entrepreneur

They'll be fine everyone's into burritos and extra guac now. Plus this organic food craze isn't gonna die for a while unless the new generation comes up with better ways to live a healthy life and produce delicious food.

3. Cleveland76

Cleveland76 Entrepreneur

It's a shame that something like this can cause a once popular restaurant to lose its customer base so quickly. Honestly, something like this can happen to just about any restaurant, and in many cases it's not even necessarily their fault. A particular food distributor could be providing the same items to multiple different restaurants for example, but all it takes are some headlines about one restaurant in particular which someone got sick at, and they get blamed for it. I'm not saying restaurants themselves can't get a customer sick when their employees don't handle food properly, but look what happened to Chi Chi's years ago when they got a bad batch of green onions in from their supplier which made some people sick - how were they to know? They took the fall for it, not the food distributor.

The norovirus stories in particular - how many times have we gone out shopping during the holiday season and caught the common cold from being around so many shoppers, not to mention department store employees who are sick and coughing in our faces?

4. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

Yikes! We don't have that restaurant chain here, as far I know. I've never seen one. After reading this, I think I'm glad.

5. setupdisc

setupdisc Moderator Entrepreneur

I get the strangest feeling that this was done intentionally or funded by the GMO companies that know Chipotle, as a major retailer, won't be carrying thier genetically modified foods.

Does anyone else find it just a little suspicious that out of all these restaurants (who use the same exact food supplier as Chipotle), only Chiptole is being affected and getting bad batches of things to make customers sick?

It gives me the eerie chill of a corporate: "Play along or else" whenever I see what is going on with Chipotle the moment they try to give people healthy food that does not belong in a laboratory.

6. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

Okay, that's scary. Hadn't considered that but I've read that big food and pharma companies are viciously powerful when they feel they need to be.

setupdisc likes this.
  7. Foxus

Foxus Entrepreneur

I used to like Chipotle, but I have come to like Quoba much better. Glad I made the switch.

setupdisc likes this.
  8. James Fresh

James Fresh Entrepreneur

The fast food industry is full of garbage, better if they all get closed down...

Remember guys, fast food slows you down.. Eat clean, feed your brain with what it needs, not what slows it down ;) You can make sick delicious burritos from scratch at home, make two, three at once and have three meals on the go..

setupdisc likes this.
  9. Cleveland76

Cleveland76 Entrepreneur

I always thought it was kind of funny how the public perceived Chipotle as a healthier fast food option, considering one of their burritos has more than an entire day's worth of fat and calories in it, more than many combo meals at traditional fast food joints. Granted their meats are fresher, and it's nice they are throwing some fresh salsa and lettuce on that, but you're totally carb and fat bombing with all that cheese, sour cream, and rice - not to mention depending on what meat you choose, additional grease from that.

It's actually a lower calorie and fat option to simply get a quarter pounder with no cheese and a small fry from McDonald's than to get a burrito at Chipotle.

10. Cleveland76

Cleveland76 Entrepreneur

Ok so they must be getting a wee bit desperate at this point since they have now done at least two giveaways in my area. Several weeks ago they had a promotion for a free burrito after they were to have some company wide meeting with all their employees. Now, more recently I got yet another promotional mailer from them with two coupons - one for a free burrito/burrito bowl/salad/or tacos. And the other coupon is for a free order of chips and salsa with the purchase of a burrito.

Of course, I'm not going to turn down a free burrito bowl - especially when a steak one runs about $7.50 these days. So I went and got one, and there were in fact no catches. Actually, they also asked me if I wanted some tortillas on the side to go with my bowl, which I don't recall them doing in the past. A friend of mine went and redeemed his coupon too and said they will even give free double meat if you request it while ordering.

11. thedude

thedude Entrepreneur

This isn't affecting my local branch. Lunch lines are always long. Customer service is great but the food items need a little work. The bowl is my favorite. Tacos arent good with the cold sauce they use and not drained properly either which creates a cold soggy "hard" taco. Buritos can't stay together, maybe use a thicker wrap. I'm not worried about getting sick, I like to take risk :) Just prepare the food better and I would go more often.

12. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Entrepreneur

Maybe this is nature's way of balancing out food that is too good...