BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

If you've ever tried taking a break from Facebook, or quitting the site altogether, only to find yourself logging back on just a few hours later, a newly published study by researchers from Cornell Information Science at Cornell University, USA, may have found the reasons why.

An article published on Cornell University's website describes how the team of researchers looked at more than 5,000 surveys completed by participants taking part in the Dutch project, 99 Days of Freedom. The ongoing project invites Facebook users to give up the social networking site for a period of 99 days, or longer if they wish.

Surveys were issued to participants on days 33, 66, and 99 of the project to gauge participants' moods throughout their Facebook-free period.

Read more Can't quit Facebook? Researchers have found the reasons why | CTV News

2. harpazo22

harpazo22 Entrepreneur

That's very interesting! If people just had more important things to occupy their time with, they wouldn't feel the need to always check up on it. It's very tempting though because that's where I get all my news and what's going on with people from.

3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I think I am an exception. I was actually able to abstain from Facebook for almost a year. When I started working at a university, I became really busy, and never been tempted to log in on Facebook.

4. Audie Kiev

Audie Kiev Entrepreneur

This is interesting. I also would like to suggest that another reason that people keep returning to Facebook is because a decent percentage are a tad full of themselves. Anywhere from the teenage twenty-selfies-a-day to adults who care too much about their appearance to their friends and associates without good reason. Especially those people who love to start and get involved with drama. Not saying that's any of us. It's a small percentage I think. Anyone who is subscribed to this website probably knows better than that.

5. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

How interesting and true. I have been there with not even thinking about it and the first place I go to is Facebook. This is such a habit that so many people are plagued with. Does the article state how we can relieve this addiction so to speak?

6. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

That is pretty funny when you think about the whole "my fingers automatically went to f" when they opened the browser. I bet that it is the case for a lot of people too. I think mine might be a g for Google, but I think that is a little better. I am not a big Facebook user, but I can see why many people depend on it and would have a tough time giving it up.