BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Nikita

Nikita Entrepreneur

These days there are thankfully a lot more options for someone who has social anxiety to still create a business because a lot more resources are accessible from home. Someone with social anxiety who has a hard time dealing with people, for example, don't have to go face to face anymore with potential partners like distributors or affiliates, or they can even just stick to strictly digital content such as creating a forum and profiting off of ads.

Anyone here with social anxiety but still thriving at your own business? Please share your experiences here.

2. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

My husband has no social anxiety but he is not comfortable in meeting people, much more in persuading people. That's why he cannot be a salesman. But when we put up our computer supplies retailing business, he was the one in charge since I have an office job. What he did was to read books on marketing. He was the one who trained the hired sales people - from prospecting to client visits that included the proper attitude in talking to prospects and clients. From what I see, he was so good in training people because our 4 sales people appeared fully trained for the job.

With the internet now, introverts have a great opportunities to engage in business. They just have to look for a business that would appeal to them.

3. Valerie

Valerie Entrepreneur

People go to public speaking class to do two things: 1) learn the means of making great speeches and 2) to practice how to restrain their nervousness. This can essentially happen on the internet. Social anxiety might still grip you in chat sessions or speaking on the phone, but if you take your time and practice, you can ultimately rewire yourself to deal with the anxiety in different ways. You can market yourself by building online resumes and portfolios and accept inquiries via email. You can do Skype interviews in your PJs. Do what makes you comfortable. As I've learned, just stick to what your passionate about, build yourself slowly, and you'll succeed.

I can't say I personally own a thriving business yet, but I have dealt with fierce social anxiety in two highly competitive job markets--also known as the fitness industry and the performing arts industry. Essentially, being an independent contractor that moves from gym to studio to theater and back again, implies that I must engage with dozens of people to network. But when you have social anxieties, simply walking up to someone and attempting to strike up a conversation when you're worried about how your breath smells or if you're going to stammer is uber challenging. People ask me all the time, "If your anxieties really are that terrible, why did you get into fields that require you to be charming and glib?" Because then I'd find a way to get beyond my fears. I've been gaining clients, teaching fitness classes and traveling for dance for...going on 5 years now.

4. Slique

Slique Entrepreneur

First off, I don't own a business now so these are just a few of my thoughts on your topic. Overall, I don't have that big of a problem meeting people and striking up a conversation if necessary but sometimes especially when mingling in the business world, it can be a bit daunting to me. You're thinking, I must always say the right things and behave appropriately to impress them because your main goal is to do business with them. I did a Public Speaking course at university and for the most part, I still don't totally feel comfortable with public interaction in the business arena. :eek: However, as you said, the Internet has cut out a good amount of face to face interaction while maintaining your relevance with the masses through your business. :)

What I think is key to your success is to grow your confidence through continuous research on the product(s) or service(s) you are offering. This should help to remind you of the reason for your business, what you should be doing and who you should be reaching and/or reaching out to for assistance. Once you know what you're about the more assertive you will become.

5. jona

jona Entrepreneur

As a person that suffers from social anxiety to some degree, I can tell you, you should use your business as a way to overcome those problems, not as a way to hide from them. In my particular case is calling people over the phone, I just can't do that, it is stronger than me, luckily, phone conversations are dying anyway and you can conduct most of your business via email or even skype. (Yes I know, skype is basically the same as calling somebody but I don't get as anxious, don't ask me why.),but anyway, I digress, what I was telling you is that no matter the nature of your business you will have to eventually come face to face with people if you want to grow in any shape of form, even if it is just to pitch your idea to an investor once, so, your business could help you overcome that anxiety if you find yourself in the situation where you are a phone call or a meeting away to securing an important contract or something, if you business is important enough for you, trust me, you will overcome that anxiety.

6. remnant

remnant Entrepreneur

This largely mirrors my situation. I have a predisposition to be my own person and live and let live. Most people have their own biases, nuances and predispositions and idiosyncracies which pub entrepreneurs the wrong way. Added into the mix is business rivalry and the element of capital risk from fire, theft, unfair competition among other issues.