BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Small Business, and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Burn out

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jkiz, Aug 15, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Jkiz

Jkiz Member

Hi! I am new to this forum. I've had my business for over a year and a half. I currently own a gluten-free bakery that I eventually want to scale into a national company or sell it to a larger corporation. My question is : how do you deal with burnout? After last week it hit me like a ton of bricks- I worked 36 hours without sleeping to prep for an event in which I was totally fooled as to what it was, lost money on the event and then lost $200+ to counterfeit money in our retail space- along with a lot of other issues that all seemed to fall within the same 7 days. This was the first time I've ever made a poor business decision (participating in this event). I feel taken advantage of and like I have no more to give right now- emotionally mentally and physically. I am angry walking into the business and dealing with customers. I just want space. How do you cope with burnout? Any suggestions on how to get my drive and passion back to the level it was before? Any suggestions would be wonderful!

T J Tutor and azgold like this.

2. William Clements

William Clements Moderator Member

@Jkiz, Welcome to EntrepreneurFix!!!

3. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Member

@Jkiz ; Welcome to entrepreneurfix.
    What you going through .. is an opportunity and learning experience , it happens with probably 9 out of 10 newbie every minute globally.
    Its these burnout make you better business man now! .

so just take few steps back - rethink , re-strategies, re-focus and believe in yourself and keep listening to your heart.

Best wishes ..

4. azgold

azgold Moderator Member

Hi, @Jkiz , welcome.

I read about (and responded to) your marathon baking in another thread. I can't even imagine!

Wish I could give you an easy answer to the burnout issue. I didn't figure out, became deathly ill. What that does is make you determined to never let burnout happen again. It's simply not worth it.

As @VirtualGlobalPhone said, you can turn your experience into an opportunity. You can't do anything about the idiots that took advantage of you (unless you can press charges, of course) but you can take some time to get rested and think about how you might be able to work smarter, not harder.

The upside is that you will never forget this lesson.

VirtualGlobalPhone likes this.
  5. Jkiz

Jkiz Member

Thanks for the responses everyone! @azgold you're right i won't forget this lesson. It was just a really bad and very hard week with no reward. I am trying to regroup. Today is my first day back at the bakery. I don't feel upset or angry at the moment but i'm very skeptical that my burnout is over. My employees have really stepped up the last two days and have done an amazing job so that I have an easy day today. Do you have any good tips on working smarter not harder? My current delimma is that we are growing to the point that I need more help, but I can't necessarily afford to pay what i need to keep up pace. Any ideas?

How do you cope with recognizing when you might get burned out and how are you coping since you were sick?

Thanks again!

6. azgold

azgold Moderator Member

I think having a plan helps a lot. Our own knowledgeable @T J Tutor is the perfect person to address this for you. He is the king of organizing business stuff! I suspect he probably is in other areas of life, as well.

I worked for a company once that grew too fast. Puts a lot of stress on all concerned. Again, TJ will most likely give you the best advice for this.

May I say though, it sounds like you have good people working for you. Have you considered asking them if they have any ideas about things that could be done more efficiently? Often times, down-in-the-trenches employees can see where tweaks should be made to make things run more smoothly, or even to save money.

Oh, you know. You said yourself that you don't feel quite over it yet. Burnout is awful, paralyzing. You can't think straight or find good solutions, feel stressed, tired, you keep spinning your wheels, feel desperate, may get depressed. You're on overload. You might even think about running away to join the circus just so you can leave the stress behind. :)

As well as I can, thx. In my case, I was left with residual symptoms but I'm still alive and kickin' and will do my absolute utmost to never, ever put that kind of stress on myself again. I specifically asked the ER doctor if it contributed and he said definitely.

And you know what I learned? The world doesn't come to an end because you can't do everything you want to. I'm a type A-ish person, so it took quite a while to make peace with that. I do the stuff that is a priority and I can do. Everything else, I get to it when I can, ask for help, or don't do it at all. Nothing horrible has happened as a result.

This all may apply somewhat differently to you because of the type of business you have. But one thing is standard - if you don't have your health, the rest doesn't matter.

7. Jkiz

Jkiz Member

I appreciate your thoughtful response. Since that week I am feeling a lot better. I usually hold team meetings once a month and I always ask for their input. We have an open door communication policy. We give feedback to each other- whether it's things I can improve upon for them with my own leadership, or things they need to work on, etc. I really want to cultivate a company culture where employees aren't just "employees". I want them to have a say in most decisions, menus, planning, events, etc. I really try to involve my staff in everything we do. So, that is always a good suggestion!

I have decided to make myself a priority. The gym was a HUGE love and stress reliever of mine a few years ago- and after 2 years of having to take time off and this past winter having a fairly complicated knee surgery I'm finally allowed back. Which couldn't have come at a better time! So I started going to the gym 5 days a week now and sometimes I go back at night so I can use the pool, hot tub, or sauna to decompress without my phone and have alone time. Today I'm starting a new routine where I wake up early 3x a week to get my cardio in and then I take an hour at a local small breakfast place to grab coffee and eat and relax to help me have my own time. Today was fantastic and I actually had a ton of ideas flow about our fall menu, so I wrote down ideas and spent time doing whatever I wanted in silence. It made me come in today motivated to work and in a good mood. I think the burnout feelings are starting to fade since I allowed myself space and time away from the bakery. I also am implementing a new rule where I do not work past 6pm- no phone calls, social media, emails, orders, etc. Also - getting enough sleep and treating myself to something occasionally. I usually never buy myself things, since I'm so money conscious. I think all of this is really a good way to go about avoiding burnout in the future.

I'm a type-A personality as well, and very much a perfectionist. Which is a good motivator, but also can be a problem. So I think when I made that poor business decision it sent me in a spiral bc of all the stress I was under. Perfectionism is something i've been trying to work on my whole life. I've gotten a lot better, but I still need to remind myself it's okay to make mistakes and not be perfect all of the time because that's impossible and I'm a very logical and rational thinker.

This was definitely a good lesson to learn, and I think it will make me a better leader in the future. Your advice is much appreciated!

azgold likes this.
  8. azgold

azgold Moderator Member

Wow, @Jkiz - sounds like you're doing great! You had all the answers inside you, you just needed to be able to access them, which happened when you spent some time alone and quiet. No more burnout for you, I think. :)

I'm happy for you!

9. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Member

Looks like you've been getting loads of support and as long as you allow yourself the privilege of having supportive people around you then your needs will come to be.

Welcome to EntrepreneurFix @Jkiz ! It's great to have you with us.

You obviously have a wise mind and you are successfully dealing with adversity. This is among the strengths of true entrepreneurs. Stand tall, take a licking when you have to, then get up, brush yourself off, and come back stronger. This is what i see in your words.

Go get them!

TJ

10. Hassan

Hassan Member

Trust me. I am not saying this but we all have been there. SPECIALLY ME. In fact i have been there so many times that i miss it now.:)
    The secret is to never give up.
    Every morning bring new miracles.

azgold likes this.