BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Small Business, and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Born an entrepreneur or made?

1. You are born an entrepreneur

37.5%
  2. You can become an entrepreneur

37.5%
  3. both...

25.0%

Share This Page

1. CoolSpot

CoolSpot Seasoned Warrior

So I see a lot of posts here that go along the lines of:

"I want to be an entrepreneur, what can I do for a business"

This got me thinking, even as a small child I could always see the potential value in everything, I have never been short on ideas on what I can turn into a business (basically everything right).

Even before I started my businesses, I would pick an idea and start planning it out, identifying the weaknesses of the businesses that are all ready running and how I would be able to capitalize on that if I was to start that particular business, kind of like my own little RTS game.

The goal of these was never to start the business. I just found it fun to plan out these things, by the time I finished high school I had a folder, full of potential business plans (many of them the market had died for such as pc gaming cafes (that one actually won me an award), although still highly doable in some parts of the world where people cant afford to own the latest xbox's etc), some of them would require re working in order to make them workable due to changes in the market.

I feel I was born an entrepreneur, I personally don't think an entrepreneur is something you can really become, it's a part of you, a way in which you see things differently to most other people which can cause you to do things that seem crazy to anyone that doesn't share that kind of view on things.

I also believe there is a big difference between a business owner and an entrepreneur, mainly in the way that the two see the opportunity's.

So I thought it would be fun to get the thoughts of you guys on this.

Adepoju segun likes this.

2. azgold

azgold Moderator

@CoolSpot , yes I do believe that you are a natural born entrepreneur.

But that crazy is great for thinking-outside-the-box innovation, like the one that won you an award and inspires you to profitable businesses. :)

I hadn't actually thought about it before but I have to say that I agree with you. I think one is more money-driven; the other does it because they have to, it's part of who they are. Like writers who have to write.

3. CoolSpot

I couldn't agree more, there are times I wish i could be content working a regular 9-5, I tried it, it does not work for me, I get anxious because I'm not pushing anything forward, cant address issues I find and every day just is a repeat of the previous day.

4. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator

I believe @CoolSpot ; every human being born on this earth is entrepreneur.

If you refer back the history before industrial revolution every home was doing something unique which he / she produce, market and sell for more or less same as we do today. (Food, Cloth, House etc)

Today we are in the border of one more revolution. Which will tend to be that we are going back to history and reaching to same side of the wheel which once our ancestor lived.

'old wine in a new bottle'.

Hope readers get it...

Adepoju segun likes this.
  5. CoolSpot

I kind of agree, but as with everything being brought back from history, it all comes down to relevant skills. Before the industrial revolution people were thought trades and skills. These days people are thought how to be a good employee rather than useful skills that they can market themselves. This is where the entrepreneur mindset comes in, we are all thought the skills to be an employee but to be able to take those skills and do more than work for someone else and recognize how you can offer those same skills in a new way to gain a foothold on the market is something that many people cannot do.

For an example, most bricklayers form their own company and go self employed, that is what they are thought to do in collage, to become a business owner. The bricklayer with an entrepreneurs mindset would take that a step further, rather than going with the seasons of work they would branch out into related areas such as renovating property for the purpose of resale or rent, which is something that the majority would not think to do or would be paralyzed by the fear of failure/over succeeding or just buy the shear amount of work it would take to pull it off.

6. VirtualGlobalPhone

@CoolSpot ;

no one can teach to be an entrepreneur , they are already in them ; the day they are born.

What you referring as "teaching" is packaging and selling which many institute does who help an individual to open the doors of how to be.

But at the end it purely depends on that individual what he / she wants do with the knowledge to this world. That's where many take their seat back and don't push themselves. No Guru / education system can teach you that ...

So put it simpler every one is Born Entrepreneur, some may taken the help of institute to learn "how to become" entrepreneur.

Hope this helps. ..

7. CoolSpot

The
    My entire point was you cannot teach to be an entrepreneur. An entrepreneur and someone that owns a business are very different things.

At a level I agree that everyone is born an entrepreneur, much in the same way everyone is born a runner, and like you said it then comes down to the individual on how they develop and the environment they are in. However just because I have the ability to run, I would not call myself a runner. Everyone has the ability to do anything when they are born, it comes down to which traits and skills are developed and which are discarded. My point with school systems is that they discourage entrepreneurial thinking, telling you it is not something that you can achieve and you should just want to get a "real" job like everyone else. While you cant teach someone to be an entrepreneur you can teach them skills that will help them over come many of the obstacles that come with it.

8. SteveStrait

SteveStrait New Warrior

I somewhat disagree. I think GREAT Entrepreneurs are born - great as in, Gates, Jobs, Zuckerberg level great.
    A Good entrepreneur can definitely be taught.

I remember having entrepreneurship tendencies (selling figurines, bootleg VCDs, etc) ever since I was in primary school.
    But I don't think that was born - I can somewhat psycho-analyze the tendencies to come from my parents way of raising me.

9. VirtualGlobalPhone

A thought and few words to all ...

" Every one is born unique. But the world around us is doing the best, day and night. To make you just everybody else. "

10. Nunzio Presta

Nunzio Presta Warrior

Love this topic! I actually wrote something about this a while ago - let me know what you think @CoolSpot

Here is the link: BORN or MADE

NP

VirtualGlobalPhone likes this.