BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Lynda

Lynda Entrepreneur

With sites like expedia, lastminute, and so many others offering great discounts, there are a lot of travel deals available. What's the best travel deal, business or otherwise, you've ever got?

For mine it was working with a company that had a very bad reputation for 'cheaping out', e.g. an employee going onsite found their hotel was in the red-light district. Then they said rather sarcastically that if you could get better deals, you could make your own arrangements and they would reimburse you. I was being sent off in February to a major city with a tourist area just outside, took one look at what the company offered me, and said several unprintable words. So I phoned up a few of the good hotels directly, hoping it was the off-season, and ended up in a beachfront view, gorgeous three-room apartment, including breakfast, for two nights. £30 a night. Best work trip ever. I expensed it just to make a point.

(Yes, the second March rolled round the rates went through the roof, but in February they were empty.)

bhu and Ladyferoz like this.

2. Valerie

Valerie Entrepreneur

A recent journey of mine was actually a pretty astounding bargain. I got half off a flight on Expedia over Black Friday last year. It was amazing, because I was flying from Philadelphia International to Tokyo Narita International and booked a luxury 5-star hotel that included a continental buffet breakfast for 75% off the original price. A $3000 trip was reduced to $1200 or something close to that. Plus, knowing that I wouldn't have to pay for breakfast every morning was a huge relief. The amount of hotels in Japan that offer zero amenities leaves me flabbergasted. Of course, it wasn't the ideal situation, but I wasn't about to pass up such miraculous savings. Or free food.

3. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

Agoda has helped me score some sweet hotels at half price. I love looking at their secret deals whenever I travel abroad. When I was in Bangkok, I got a fully private suite overlooking the city with an outdoor infinity pool for less than $100, it was a great birthday, to say the least.
    Another great deal was a flight from China to South Korea that cost $9 on Spring Airlines. The taxes obviously added up but it was still really cheap.

bhu likes this.
  4. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

My favorite online travel agency for accommodation is booking.com where I always get the best deals. Last year we were in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and we were amazed with the hotel we got from that site. A real 5-star hotel. And when I inquired about the rates, it was more expensive than what I paid for. The concierge said that they give discounts to the online sites because they provide the hotel with customers. That means it is cheaper to get accommodation online than going to the hotel personally.

5. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

I heard so many horror stories of booking.com that turned me off the site, even my friends had a few problems with it last January. They went to Japan and when they arrived their hotel had no record of them, even though they paid and had the screenshots, it was a nightmare for them.
    It is amazing how word of mouth can influence potential customers like me, now that you said you had a good experience, I will try them out.

bhu likes this.
  6. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

Booking.com provides a voucher that is in the form of a formal letter addressed to the hotel for the accommodations that we had reserved. I verify the reservation by Booking.com with the hotel since all of the hotels have websites. What happened to your friend also happened to us, ironically, in a domestic travel to Batanes, a province in the north of the Philippines. But the booking was not with Booking.com but with C&E, a local travel agency.

Ladyferoz and bhu like this.
  7. bhu

bhu Entrepreneur

Thinking about the best travel deal I ever got, I have to say Arkansas. Mind you, I don't seek five star hotels there, as there is only one in Hot Springs, the Arlington, which has a full service fine restaurant and spa facilities and is a lovely property, well located for shopping and attractions. On one occasion, we got a tip from a friend about a small, quiet family-owned motel at a gas station near a popular mountain resort area. They didn't have a restaurant per se, but they left the key in the room for us and we were allowed to check in upon waking at the gas station, where we also had the convenience of filling our jeep and grabbing fresh coffee before heading out for a breakfast at a diner in the nearby village. The rate was less than $30 per night and offered washing stations behind the rooms for mineral hunters to rinse the iron ore clay off their quartz and other semiprecious stones. It was also pet friendly, with a grassy area behind the rooms.

8. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

I am yet to take a service of online travel agencies. It has been ages since I went to a vacation or a holiday. IN the last five years, most of my travel is to and fro between my farm house and city home, which is just about 450 kilometers. Since ours is a mountainous country with winding road, it takes more than 10 hours.

9. Nikita

Nikita Entrepreneur

I once only had to pay $100 to travel within the continent. I then used the savings to spend on my vacation itself such as with accommodations and the food we ate as a group. I think that was the cheapest flight I ever got but nowadays it's much more common so it might have gotten even cheaper or maybe just the stipulations for it might have gotten looser. Back then I had to book a year in advance just to get that much of a discount whereas now I suspect it is a much shorter wait.

10. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

There have been a few times in my life when it was common to receive gifts from vendors and business connections. I have had many wonderful trips. I've long been a fishing fanatic and so most of the trips I have received as gifts were centered around that. I have fished all over the U.S. and parts of Canada on those trips. Always incredible trips to remote areas in pristine wilderness and incredible accommodations.

I did have several to major cities for fine dining and more often than not included great entertainment. Plays, bands, singers, all kinds of first class entertainment. I've never been a "favorite" kind of guy, but I have to admit that Chicago, Miami, and NYC were some pretty awesome first class trips I've had.

11. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

Think I've two trips that were my cheapest, both were years ago. One was two weeks in Spain; the other was a week in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Round trip to Spain was $900 something, just air fare, seven hour flight. We stayed with friends.

AZ was about the same price but included return flight and hotel.