BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Best choice for shipping?

Discussion in 'Planning Your Business' started by Healey4, Feb 24, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Healey4

Healey4 Entrepreneur

I'm selling items at a very slow rate, they're mostly heavy and bulky, and I'm looking for the best way to entice buyers into cheap shipping. For large boxes, is it cheaper to go with USPS's flat rate shipping, or should I buy a business account with someone like FedEx and pay for the fees to save (looks like upwards of 20% off retail charges) on shipping?

2. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

USPS has a great deal with those flat rates. Check on the deals of DHL as well.

3. Healey4

Healey4 Entrepreneur

Thanks a lot for the confirmation, I appreciate you always doing a great job following up on newbie posts! I think I'll figure out how easy it is to stuff some of my bigger items into the slender boxes. Another question I had was if I have to pack my boxes in the store, or if I can buy them- and pack them with better care at home?

4. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

I've always brought mine to the shippers already packed.

5. Nancy

Nancy Entrepreneur

Unless you ship a lot, it is expensive to have a UPS or FedEx daily pick-up account. The less you ship each week, the higher the weekly fee is. You can sign up for a free online account with any shipper and I think you still get some discount.

Which shipper you use will depend on several factors - size, shape, weight, destination, etc. of your package. Generally books, cds, really small things, etc. are best shipped via USPS first class or media mail. Smallish things that will fit into flat rate USPS boxes work well too. As you have found, it is usually less expensive to ship larger packages via UPS of FedExGround.

Reliability is also a factor. USPS loses packages. Even with insurance, it takes months or years to get your money back, if you ever do. UPS occasionally loses or ruins a package. UPS takes a few months, but eventually you will get reimbursed. I haven't lost anything via FedEx yet so can't comment on them. As the shipper, you have to apply for reimbursement. If you do not want to pay for a lost package, make sure it is insured for replacement amount!

All of these shippers offer free supplies. If you sign up for a free online account you can have the supplies shipped directly to you free of charge. Or you can pick them up free at their shipping centers, but there is usually a better selection of supplies online. If you don't have a scale - get one. Any fairly accurate scale will work. I use an old pre-digital UPS scale that I got free from a friend with a Pitney-Bowes business. It measures from .1 oz. to 100 lbs. With a scale you can package, pay, and print your labels yourself and just drop the package at a shipping location. No waiting in line and usually places like Staples, Office Max, etc are drop off points.

6. Raider19

Raider19 Entrepreneur

My wife and I ship everything USPS, we are up-front with our clients about the lead time and shipping method. If they want to pay more for shipping then we give them that option but generally speaking USPS is easy, safe and less expensive for us and our clients.