BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Are You Planning to Go to Cuba?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by azgold, Apr 19, 2016.

Share This Page

1. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

As a Canadian, Cuba has been a travel destination that I've had the pleasure to experience three times so far. It is a beautiful, unspoiled island, unless you go into the big cities, like Havana.

I read recently that Americans are now allowed to vacation in Cuba, under certain restrictions. Just wondering if any of our friends from the U.S. are planning to visit there sometime soon.

2. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

Yeah, this is huge news all over the U.S. We have loads of corporations ready to open up businesses there. haven't planned a trip there, but would love to give it a go someday. I have been wanting to get down to the Keys for some fishing, maybe when I get there, I'll skip across to the island for a cocktail and cigar.

3. azgold

That's actually a concern of mine. Right now, the island is what you think an undeveloped Caribbean island in it's natural state would look like. Once the companies and hotels move in, that'll all be gone. :(

Haha, you can watch a guy make your cigar. Watch the Cuba Libres though - very strong!

If you like music, you'll love the entertainment there, too. And the old 50s Chevys. Although, last time I was there in 2011, there were people driving around in newer cars.

4. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

Yeah, you're right, corporations to often change the complex and natural lay of the land. Perhaps we'll see more of this in the cities than in the country.

I do think that perhaps the influences we bring will help to invigorate the economy there. There is still a great deal of poverty. Then again, we still have a great deal of poverty here as well.

I do hope it to be more positive than negative. I know it's a beautiful island with many wonderful people and I hope we can help them with a better life.

5. azgold

Hope so

You're right, many of them live in abject poverty, so that part would be good.

Something I found interesting (not in a good way) is their perception of Americans. They were told that when they were starving, Castro asked the US for help and was denied. The propaganda had led the Cubans we spoke to, to believe that Americans hate them. If the Castros are now forging a relationship with the US, I can only assume that they are giving the people a more positive perception.

By the way, they like big tips in American dollars. :)

By the way again, if you go and stay in a resort, brush up on your French Canadian french. A lot of Quebecers go down there. :)

6. StrongChick888

StrongChick888 Entrepreneur

I've never thought about visiting Cuba, but now I'm kind of curious. But the thing is, in movies, they ONLY show bad parts of Cuba which honestly worries me a bit.

7. azgold

I've been three times, last time was 2011. There've been changes there since I was there last but all of my visits were okay. The scenery was wonderful - totally unspoiled, 1950's chevys, cheap, amazing music and coffee! On the other hand, lots of poverty.

Like any country anywhere, there are places you don't go after dark or by yourself. If we took any daytrips, we always arranged it through the hotel.

We did make friends with one of the locals once and he took us to his home for a real Cuban dinner and to meet his family. It was such a nice visit and we felt safe with him. However....after we left, he was picked up and interrogated.

As I understand it, things are more relaxed since Fidel's brother took over but as I haven't been back yet, I can't say for sure.

Anyway, if you are able to visit Cuba, I think you'd be happy you did. The clean, unspoiled, tropical landscape is just beautiful. That said, Havana is not really the place to see the countryside. :) The towns that are a bit more remote is where you get that.