BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anyone here actively try to improve mental performance?

Discussion in 'Planning Your Business' started by Musicas, Jul 9, 2016.

Do you consciously make an effort to improve mental performance?

1. Yes, and I'm seeing the positive effects in my life

100.0%
  2. Yes, but I haven't seen any real effects yet.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, I've never heard about methods to improve mental performance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, and I never will. What I have right now is good enough.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I want to but I haven't got around to it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Share This Page

1. Musicas

Musicas Entrepreneur

Hi everyone,

We all know that a lot of businesses require critical thinking, creativity, problem solving and good management.

So in light of this, I was wondering how many entrepreneurs actually make a conscious effort to try to get an edge in mental performance? So that includes pharmaceutical methods (nootropics/smart drugs) or more "natural" methods like teaching yourself how to speed read, meditation, memory systems or meta-learning techniques.

If you are using any of these to get an edge, how did you come to learn about it? I ask this because I follow Tim Ferriss' blog and he has a topic on Mental Performance However, he also says quite often that most of his readers don't actually execute the things he tries to teach.

So I guess my final question is, does anyone here make a conscious effort to "level up" their brain power in order to succeed in business?

Thanks

Prinston Hicks likes this.

2. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

Hi, @Musicas .

Yes, I have been trying to improve my mental performance and yes, I have SLOWLY noticed results.

Mine began because of an illness that affected my whole body, including my brain. I've mostly regained what I lost but I want it all back and more.

I'm eager to try nootropics, just don't think I can afford them at this time. So, I play games that require thought, read various genres (including self help), try to solve word puzzles and games faster and faster to challenge my brain, listen to binaural beats and guided meditations (I'm too hyper to meditate for more than 3 seconds on my own :) ), other little things.

I think they've all contributed to a very slow yet progressive improvement. From what I've read, it is important to expose your brain to new and stimulating ideas and experiences.

3. Li Jean-Luc Harris

Li Jean-Luc Harris Entrepreneur

it defiantly helps me being on a platform with so may like minded people. it motivates me and i learn a lot :)

azgold likes this.
  4. Musicas

Musicas Entrepreneur

Sounds really good azgold! Could I ask what sources you use for the games or books/blogs you got your ideas from?

5. azgold

You could but I don't know what to tell you. I'm a hopper, I'll grab something that I want to try or that I think I should try. When something crosses my path, that's how I find it but when it becomes too easy, I move on. Too easy doesn't increase your brain power.

I will use downloaded games on my phone or computer - typically some sort of card game or tile matching. If I like them and don't want to stop, I just try solving them as fast as I can. Or, if it's particularly difficult to solve, I refuse to allow myself to move to a new game until I figure it out.

For crosswords, I have my own crossword puzzle books. I used to be good at them and trying them post illness really brought to my awareness that I need to pay attention to the condition of my brain and thought processes.

I also have Holosync CDs that I received as a gift a few years ago. But, I'm a hopper so use them now and again. :) But I really like them.

Re books, I have almost 1,000, so never any lack of reading material. Probably 75-100 are self-help by authors such as Tony Robbins, Deepak Chopra, Miguel Ruiz, T. Harv Ecker, many more. I mix up my reading - fiction and non-fiction. The novels appease my love of words and help me regain some that I lost and stimulate my imagination; the non-fiction are great and grounding guides that bring my brain into focus on the practical side of life. I have read many of these books before but I no longer remember much of them, so it's almost like reading them for the first time.

Sometimes, I now have to read a passage more than once, as I don't grasp concepts as easily as I did before. But I'm stubborn, so read as many times as need be until I get it. That has been helpful and it now happens less frequently. I will continue to do that until I don't have to anymore. I'm trying to grow new neurons to replace the ones that died and increase my brain's plasticity.

Blogs I search for based on what I am looking for at the time.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Musicas likes this.
  6. Musicas

Musicas Entrepreneur

Awesome, thank you for the feedback! It sounds like you have the fundamentals on point and now you just have to practice it long-term and reap the benefits.

I definitely agree on mixing up reading fiction and non-fiction. There's a lot of research that suggests broadening your views helps with developing creativity and plasticity.

Thanks for taking the time to write this thoughtful post!

azgold likes this.
  7. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

@Musicas , good topic you hit on.

The one you try to 'train' is more towards rat race. For that you don't need anything. Just see other rats and just keep running. But i don't think anyone can go long way with that or enjoy.. down the line every one will loose out gas or interest.

The only way you can know your brain is one reading and other keep pushing to the new challenges with your intent to be strong base. Its like a big tree and branching out as long as you can.

But its a trick .. the brain may not allow you to control because it makes you realize both are same. And make you another rat which is more comfort to itself to control you :).

8. azgold

Forgot to say...one of my biggest challenges...I have the entire hard cover set of all of Shakespeare's plays. Once or twice a year, I pick up one and try to read it and understand it. It's written, of course, in the speech and spelling of his time. I've been working on Macbeth for a long time now. :) If I can get through one scene and comprehend the plot, I feel smarter. :) It ain't easy!

9. Amir Campbell

Amir Campbell Entrepreneur

I'm all about this:) I do a couple of things to help boost my mental and physical performance:

1. I take 3 g of vitamin C 2 days a week.
    2. I play motivational speeches and other uplifting material in the background while I'm working.
    3. I take a refresher break every couple of hours. I just get up, walk outsideo n my deck, deep breath for 5 minutes while I focus on something that makes me laugh.
    4. After my deep breatihng meditation, I get up, stretch out, and run in place for 30 seconds to get my heart rate up and get my sympathetic nervous system kicked into gear ( low gear).
    5. I get back to work:)

Maylis Boardman likes this.
  10. Maylis Boardman

Maylis Boardman Entrepreneur

I just read a lot. To me that is the best brain training. The book i would most recommend is Jim Rohn's 'Leading an inspired life'.

Amir Campbell likes this.
  11. Ewa

Ewa Entrepreneur

Motivational Speakers. Amazing what can you imprint as your thinking blueprint. Look them all up on YouTube, actively listen to them.
    After about 15 videos I was hooked, my motivation and productivity spiked as never. Together with that, passion followed. When you're passionate about something you retain information better, as emotions come attached to it.

1. Jim Rohn
    2. Tony Robbins
    3. Tim Ferriss (less of a motivational speaker, but still some interviews, the mentioned author of the '4 hour work week')

Also, meditation, with an important technique: deep breaths obviously, but it is important they are RHYTHMIC.
    3 seconds breathing in, 3 seconds hold, 3 seconds breathing out, 3 seconds wait until the next cycle.

Enough sleep? Highly variable and dependent on an individual, I say. When I'm fired up and motivated, can't really think of sleeping, later on get about 4h-6h of sleep. Still performing well.

Power Posing. Highly recommend you to watch Amy Cuddy's TED talk. It has so many views it is enough you just Google her name with 'TED talk' next to it, you'll find the one I am talking about.
    She delivers a beautiful explanation of how your body language and position how you sit influences how you start to feel.

azgold likes this.
  12. azgold

Yes!

I've never heard Tim Ferriss speak but I really love Tony Robbins! Have read a bit of Rohn but I don't think I've heard him speak, will have to look that up, thanks.

Les Brown is also good, I enjoy listening to him from time to time.

I thought it was 4 or 6 (have heard both). I'm going to try three, thanks again.

Sometimes.

Have never heard of it (or her), yet another helpful tip from you! :)

13. Wanderer1689

Wanderer1689 Entrepreneur

Thanks for the share