BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

I've been looking for side income ideas for the last two weeks and almost every article that I read was promoting tutoring, as if tutoring was so easy and everybody was an expert at something.

It's true that some of the people might be able to teach others certain skills, but most of the people don't know enough and, therefore, shouldn't even think to tutor others (for cash).

This is just one of the many potentially bad pieces of advice that are very popular on a lot of business related websites.

2. Pop

Pop Entrepreneur

I think that like most of this generic advice it requires the reader to see how well it applies to them. I doubt there is any single suggestion for making side income that would apply to more than maybe 50% of the people reading the article. But it might prompt people to consider whether they have any teachable skills that they could monetize.

3. Griffin

Griffin Entrepreneur

Anyone knows something that's teachable. That's easy. The hardest part is being an expert in teaching itself so that you effectively teach the skill.

4. EntrepreneurialSpirit

EntrepreneurialSpirit Entrepreneur

This is targeted toward teachers for part time income or graduate and undergraduate students. It definitely does not apply to many people, I agree with you, however, they are in high demand and probably pay some of the highest wages for part time income. If it were easy everyone would do it and they would not pay much. Same concept as a day job really.

5. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

The things is... if you are already an expert, you probably don't need a side income, mainly because everyone is looking for quality service. In my area at least, you can't find a single unemployed person that's really good at what he's doing. Most of the experts (in whatever field you may want) who like to work already have their days full.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

Well, you are looking for a side income in the first place, and once in a while, you will stumble across various suggestions/recommendations, and one of them is tutoring. It's just an option for you, it doesn't mean you are forced to do tutoring work. If you think you have got the skills, then do it. If you don't, then go find another one that suits you best.

7. nailah783

nailah783 Entrepreneur

I do hate that I see that on almost every work from home article on the web. You can tutor and make great money. Well even though I know a lot, it doesn't mean that I'm skilled at helping you know a lot. I have a hard time explaining things to my own children. Why would I be able to explain it to someone else's children. i am not a teacher, and I don't want to be. I think that I'll just stick to transcription work and the other odd jobs I can find online.

8. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

Isn't that what being a parent is about? I know is about someone else teaching someone else, but tut
    It is not for everyone that is for sure. You have to be patient. Sometimes that is difficult when you are dealing with someone else's child and not your own.

9. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

That is exactly what annoys me the most. Tutoring is presented as a brainless activity, as if it involved teaching monkeys how to eat a banana. It really isn't, especially for those looking to learn chemisty, math or even how to program.

I do admit that professional tutoring services can bring a pretty good side income, but they definitely can be offered by everybody.

10. Pop

Pop Entrepreneur

I don't think your disagreement applies more to tutoring than to any other suggestion for making money, or at least any suggestion that involves having a client. You make money by using a skill, or by working towards developing a skill you can use. Some people who do it will be successful through being trained or naturally skilled, others will fumble along and self-teach, or go down in flames. That is just the nature of the beast.

And as for no real expert being short of money. LOL. Shortly after getting my PhD which made me a world expert in my specialty I was selling my blood to get money to fix my car. For several years thereafter I made more money writing erotica than in my core skill area. Being an expert does not automatically and immediately translate into immense wealth.

11. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

I've noticed a lot of bad advice on the web. You really have to learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff. You will learn to do that when you start to realize a lot of info is just redundant or cliche-like.

It's one of the reasons I stopped reading articles and got more into forums. Forums have real people, in real time, who will tell of their real experiences. I find that to be far more authentic than reading an article that has no meat, and was most likely written for search engine rank.

12. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

Well, I have to say that most seasoned professionals must develop skill sets to pass on or at least have a developed understanding of the skills in order to delegate them towards a goal with staff and outsources.

Of course, my last name is Tutor, maybe it set a seed for teaching in me. After I learned to ski at 13 I became an instructor at 18. I was on the high school swimming team and I also taught elementary students to swim. I became a competitive kayaker at 16 and later taught kayaking for several local sporting good shops. My family had an upper class supper club for over 50 years, and everytime I moved up in the business, I trained someone to replace me.

My point is, anyone who shines and is at the top of their respective game does have the skills to pass on, the real question is do they have the skills to pass it on, to actually help others develop the skills within themselves.

I've been a businessman all of my adult life and I can tell you that the skill sets you must develop are to be able to train, motivate, delegate, and inspect. These are the cornerstones of a businessperson. If you don't have the ability to train others for your business, then you need to learn how to get someone to get it done for you.

As for the internet full of false promises by those that offer up unadulterated crap to the unsuspecting, well, the world has been full of snake oil salesman from the dawn of time. You can't worry about it, you have to concentrate on your own game.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  13. harpazo22

harpazo22 Entrepreneur

They're just giving general job ideas, it doesn't mean everyone is good at it. It's there for people who would be good at it and are interested.

14. missbishi

missbishi Entrepreneur

It's just a generic suggestion, that's all. Like when teens ask about the best ways to earn money, the answer is invariably babysitting.

Instead of getting all fired up about this, why not do some research into WAH opportunities that do require your particular skills. If you let us know what skills you have then I'm sure we could come up with some better suggestions : )