BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Abundance of Natural Spring Water....What Should I Do With It?

Discussion in 'Planning Your Business' started by The_Water_Guy, Jun 30, 2016.

Share This Page

1. The_Water_Guy

The_Water_Guy Entrepreneur

Hey all,

I just graduated from Villanova's School of Business landed a gig in finance and I could not want to be more out. I am looking to take a different path and be my own boss instead of working for someone else.

My uncle and I are looking to start a company - something water related and are welcoming all ideas and opinions.

Our family owns a house in upstate NY and on the property is a natural spring (already tested by a hydrologist and good to go) which has a flow rate of 50 Gallons/Min ~ 72,000 g/day ~ 26.2 M a year.

We have had this spring for over 15 years and thought we might as well do something with it. Some ideas that we had were:

- water bottling plant with our business model being 1FOR1 Water essentially buy one/give one

- Some sort of not for profit

- Disaster relief -- a lot going on in Flint MI, California droughts, Texas, impoverished areas

The water is essentially free. There are so many people across the united states without access to clean drinking water. The numbers are scary. What do you think we should do with it? Any realistic business ideas?

If you guys have any thoughts or ideas and would like to share them we would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

2. Li Jean-Luc Harris

Li Jean-Luc Harris Entrepreneur

i think its a great idea, especially for disaster relief. let me know where you get with this :)

3. Carter

Carter Entrepreneur

There are tons of possibilities! I have some idea's for you, but I would need to know more about the testing that was performed on the water. "Good to go" isn't enough information.

4. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

Yeah, if all you have done at this point is test for flow, you will also need to test to see if it meets or exceeds the FDA's requirements for bottling and distribution. Have you had any of these tests and certifications completed yet?

The_Water_Guy likes this.
  5. The_Water_Guy

Will do thanks for the support! Feel free to send any ideas my way if you have any

6. The_Water_Guy

Hey Carter,

Sorry it took some time to get back to you, I was away on vacation. The water was tested by an FDA approved lab hydrologist for flow rate and water quality. The analysis passed the FDA requirements for pH, zinc, copper, color, odor, fecal coliform, temperature etc..

Would love to hear some of the ideas you have.

Best,
    Steve

7. The_Water_Guy

TJ,

As I just mentioned above to Carter - yes the water was tested by an FDA approved lab hydrologist for flow rate and water quality. The analysis passed the FDA requirements for pH, zinc, copper, color, odor, fecal coliform, temperature etc..

Would love to hear some of the ideas you have.

T J Tutor likes this.
  8. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

I would recommend looking into a line of artesian water products for distribution. Of course a pure product, but also maybe some fortified drinks with unique fortifiers. Stuff that may be unique and not yet thoroughly represented in the market yet.

The_Water_Guy likes this.
  9. The_Water_Guy

Going to look into that market. Thanks, TJ

10. Carter

Carter Entrepreneur

Hi, Steve.

There are tons of possibilities, but to know the exact products I would have to do some research.

I'll help you get started though...

1- Find a product that uses water (there's not enough space in this text box to fit the amount of zeros it would take to express how many that is). I would look locally...

2- Find out their water source.

3- Collect a sample and have it tested VERY thoroughly.

4- Compare the differences between the chemistry of your water and theirs.

5- Research those advantages/disadvantages.

6- Create a nice, professional sales pitch as to how the chemistry of your water is softer on the skin (or whatever it is) and get to work!

The first type of business' I would look into are specialty shops that create soaps and such. The SMALL setups just to prove the concept.

Like I said, I would do LOTS of research before I chose which direction I would actually take it, but their are many...

I hope this helps in some way! Water is what I do for a living and is also the field my new business is going into. I'm Licensed for Industrial Water Treatment.

11. Tyler Mc

Tyler Mc Entrepreneur

A lot of smart people think that water is going to be like gas in the future and are buying up springs and natural water outlets. If the spring is truly on your land you could be sitting on a gold mine.