BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Olawale Ola-Shonde

Olawale Ola-Shonde Entrepreneur

I am a Nigerian. Though I have a full time job, but am always thinking of becoming an entrepreneur one day. I am ready to learn make money, kindly put me through.
    Thanks

azgold likes this.

2. William Clements

William Clements Moderator Business Owner Entrepreneur

3. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

Hello, @Olawale Ola-Shonde and welcome to EFix!

What kind of business do you want to start?

Olawale Ola-Shonde likes this.
  4. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

@Olawale Ola-Shonde , welcome to entrepreneurfix.

Just a heads up - entrepreneur is not about making money, its about making your own dent in the world through your passion. Money / value is a derivative of it but not the main. Millions even today run behind money as if the problem can be solved by it, ending up with more problems than ever.

We wish you a best and look forward for valuable input here at entrepreneurfix.

Olawale Ola-Shonde and azgold like this.
  5. Olawale Ola-Shonde

Thanks for your response, just want to learn about freelance. Thanks

6. Olawale Ola-Shonde

Thanks for the response and advise.

7. azgold

Freelance...writer? Programmer? Graphic artist? SEOer? Something else?

Online or offline?

Or do you mean, you just want to learn about what's involved in freelancing?

8. Olawale Ola-Shonde

Freelance writer and all sorts. Thanks for your response.

9. azgold

Is there something specific that you want to learn about?

- where to find clients?
    - technical aspects?
    - payment methods?
    - escrow sites?

Or do you know yet?

Are you skilled in writing?

We can maybe offer specific advice if you already have an idea of what you'd like to know.

10. Olawale Ola-Shonde

I will like to know to know everything you mentioned above. Yes, I can write very well. Thanks

11. azgold

Where to find clients?

- in the Buy/Sell sections of appropriate forums (typically crap pay)
    - content mills and bidding sites (don't recommend)
    - through your own advertising, online or offline
    - via offline networking, approaching businesses, etc.
    - responding to ads calling for writers - check classifieds and websites that have lots of listings. There are a few standard, well-known writer blogs that have them
    - via your own high quality website
    - via writing platforms and guest posts
    - by sending pitches with terrific appeal
    - link to your website in your email signature
    - by any other means your creative mind can come up with

Technical Aspects

- get a website! Yes, you need one. It showcases your talent (because you have loaded it with your outstanding content), serves as your clips, and gives potential clients a way to get in touch with you. Also, it's a good venue for practice and helps sharpen your skills as you continue to contribute to the site/blog.

- make sure you have a good working knowledge of keyword usage and SEO

- depending on the type of writing you plan to do, familiarize yourself with AP and/or Chicago styles of writing

- set up a secure method of receiving payments. If you plan to use an escrow account, do thorough research of your options.

- be certain that you have the necessary tools for the type of writing you want to offer - for sure, you need Word (a version where you can save as pdf if need be), email account, any other software or hardware that you need for the types of jobs you plan to go after, i.e. PhotoShop, Illustrator, PowerPoint, etc. I say that because I haven't asked you what type of writing you want to do

- not technical but a copy of The Elements of Style (Strunk and White)

- suss out good sites to conduct any research you might have to do

- take care of any legal requirements of freelancing from home for your area. Where I live, you don't really have to do anything more than set up an account to pay your taxes and pension, as long as you meet the criteria of not claiming as a business on your taxes and make less than a certain amount per year but it may be different where you live

- figure out how much writing you can do in a day, how much money per day or week you need, the rates you will charge your clients

- and while you're creating an Excel document to calculate rates, set up your books. You have to track your income and expenses

Payment Methods/Escrow Sites

Do you want cash only, or do you want to accept credit cards? You can set that up in different ways/platforms, including using PayPal or a shopping cart.

You can use an escrow account and an online search is where you start your due diligence. There are options, I've looked.

There is EFT (electronic funds transfer) but I highly recommend that you do not do that, especially if you're dealing internationally and with people you don't know. It puts your bank account at risk.

Wire transfer....I've never done it, so can't advise you there.

Bonus Info

Assuming your clients are happy with your work, don't forget to ask for testimonials or referrals when/if it seems appropriate to do so. Post them on your website, brochures, whatever.

Decide your terms and stick to them, at least until you have history with a client. I was extremely lucky, had amazing clients, never any problem getting paid but I knew a large group of writers, some of whom did have issues.

So, do you want a 50% deposit up front? Payment in full up front? Payment upon completion (be careful with this unless you really trust who you're dealing with)? You need to decide. I like the idea of a 50/50 deal. It evens out the risk when two parties are working together for the first time. Actually, the client has more risk because you might just take his money and run.

Often times, it depends on how little or much you're charging for the gig. People don't usually mind trying you out and paying a deposit or 100% up front, if they like your samples and you're doing it for dirt cheap.

Don't fall into the desperate 'dirt cheap' trap. It's a sink hole that's hard to get out of.

Also, be professional (yet friendly) and don't burn any bridges. Build good relationships, instead.

Don't try to be everything to everybody. Just because you rock homepage content doesn't mean you can write a killer sales page that will drive conversions through the roof. You might be able to do both, I have no idea. But let your passion for the craft and your natural talent lead you. Find your special niche and become the best writer on the planet for it. You'll have no shortage of work and you'll be able to make a comfortable living.

Okay, it's my bedtime now, lecture over. :)

The only other thing I can say is, if research plays any part of your freelance career, I think you should start right now by researching what you need to do to get started on all of this.

Then set up your office/workspace and get to it!

12. Olawale Ola-Shonde

13. Eanatum

Eanatum Entrepreneur

By coming here and asking questions, I'd say you are on the right track. Just know yourself, and don't give up on your dreams.

Olawale Ola-Shonde likes this.