BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

5 Ways PR Helps Sales

Discussion in 'Sales' started by Ryan Cameron, Aug 15, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Ryan Cameron

Ryan Cameron Entrepreneur

1. Draw attention

The big difference between public relations and advertising is that PR takes a lot more effort, thus it is often referred to in the marketing industry as “earned media.”

Anyone can conduct public relations if they have the time, the know-how and the persistence. It is the great equalizer that can put you on par with the companies that spend millions on ads.

The book The Fall of Advertising and the Rise of PR argues that public relations is more effective in building a new brand.

It is obvious to most that an article in USA Today or Entrepreneur has a powerful way of drawing attention to you, vs. banner ads.

2. Stimulate desire
    Stories in the press that play on the themes of an event, scarcity, herd mentality and prestige can create desire. Other tips to create desire:

• Use case studies or testimonials. A reporter is always going to want to know who is using your product.
    • Focus on benefits. Spending too much time on features is a common mistake. People care about what benefit you offer them.
    • Solve their fear. The flip side to benefits is alleviating fear.
    • Snowball effect. Good press can lead to more press.
    3. Convince readers to take action
    Conventional wisdom holds that PR works best for awareness, but isn’t good at generating conversions.

PR’s primary responsibility isn’t in driving conversions but rather works best when it is done with other marketing. Timing your outreach to coincide with advertising is a great way to leverage efforts and increase results.

4. Enhances credibility
    Let’s compare two hypothetical websites.

The first one has a row of icons: CNBC, Barron’s, Wall Street Journal.

The second site doesn’t have any icons of media coverage.

All things being equal, which one has more credibility in your eyes?

PR is a powerful way to enhance your credibility in the eyes of your prospects and customers. And once that credibility is achieved, it is very difficult for your competitors to overcome.

5. Acts as evergreen content
    Paid online ads will stop showing when the budget is exhausted. A news article in a respected outlet stays up for a long time.

When a prospect searches your company name, seeing a feature article will go a long way to increasing your awareness. Even when the agency stops doing work, the article remains.

2. Jordan Weston

Jordan Weston Entrepreneur

Absulutly fantastic post. You change my concept. Never thought like this. Anyway thanks a lot

3. Dandelion

Dandelion Entrepreneur

Actually this is a great post to understanding how PR is important for building brands. I do not emphasize on sales because when you able to establish a brand then there are no tension for generating sales.

4. Shannon Donnelly

Shannon Donnelly Entrepreneur

Yup do agree with you. This is a wonderful concept to generating more sales. As well as it will increase branding.

5. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

This is the most important of all. You can do all the promoting in the world, but without telling the customer what you want them to do next is pretty much a waste. If you do not state something to the effect of, "Call Now," "Buy Now," "Check out our website," etc., the customer will just read your message and move on to whatever else they were doing. An advertisement must be a set of step by step instructions leading the customer to the checkout page.

I admit this will convince me to buy. Although I have heard recently that people are putting fake media icons on their sites, it still convinces the reader. It's not like I'm going to go verify that press was actually given. It would take time to find out if the website was really given press by CNN. So I will just take the website's word for it. Lazy people always make good customers.

6. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

Since one of my part time work is related to sales marketing I find this post very interesting and very informative . Before I also used to be selling my own products when I had still a small business and it is true that a good PR is very important and that you should not ruin your credibility so that your customer will trust you.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

Interesting post. I find it very informative and really helpful. I am not into the field of sales marketing yet, but I would definitely keep these tips in mind for future endeavors. Thanks for sharing! :)

8. nailah783

nailah783 Entrepreneur

I never actually thought of there being a difference between advertising and Public Relations. Thanks for breaking it down for me. You made sure that it made sense for us beginners too.