BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Brittany Burke

Brittany Burke Entrepreneur

Once you have determined your businesses target audience, learned more about their needs, wants and general interests, the thought might have crossed your mind to start creating some website blog content. There are many newbie bloggers out there who believe content doesn’t matter, as long as you're creating long blog posts filled with target rich keywords. Well, matter-of-factly...They are wrong. I'm sure you've heard the old Internet marketing saying “Content is king." This is even more important in today's blog world, when search engine algorithms are more sophisticated than ever. It is content that makes your blog stand out from the crowd. So, how exactly can you create great blog content? Let me share 5 secrets I've learned along the way.

1. The title is sometimes more important than the content

Just think about it. Why did you click on this blog post? The title most likely grabbed your attention. Of course, we all hope you will find the content enlightening too. But, If the title is something like “Writing blog content”, most readership will probably ignore it. In addition, social media plays a significant role in any website’s rankings (and social signals are very important). You would be surprised to find that many people simply share content on social media platforms because they find the title attractive. (Yes, without ever reading it.) Using titles that contain numbers and ajectives (yep, we are back in grade school) will help you succeed in creating titles that strike the interest of your readership.

2. Keeping the readers attention

If you remember one thing from this post, remember this...You have about one-minute (60 seconds) to hold your readers attention. And there is a good chance your readership will only browse the bullet points. So, keeping that in mind...

3. Write/share content that matters

In order to be viewed as great content then your post must be interesting and important. (It seems simple, right). Your readers must read varied and interesting blog posts. Keep in mind your audience wants solutions to their problems, advice on how to achieve success, and information no one else is sharing. Many people use tools like Google Trends, Twitter (trending topics) in order to come up with ideas. Altogether this is fine, but you want to standout from the crowd. And keep in mind that the content should always be related to your niche.

4. Don’t stick to the word count

You probably read many an article that claimed the size of a blog post is the most important element. No one can be sure how important the word count is, but l think we can all agree that the depth of an article matters the most. If you are covering a topic that is not very complex you will probably need 200 - 300 words. If you need space for 500 words, that’s fine too. If you think you are covering too many topics in one article, separate them into multiple articles.

5. Keep the same style

Of course, this doesn’t mean you should always use the same phrases, but try to develop a writing style and stick to it. You subscribers started following you most likely because they enjoy the information your provide, BUT they also enjoy your writing style. Create a style that is distinctive. If your blog content is updated regularly your subscribers will be eager to read your posts because they know what they are getting.

Michelle Bondesio and T J Tutor like this.

2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing! :)

I agree with most of your tips. But I think the most important thing for bloggers to consider is to write consistently and creatively. Don't think about the word count, think about the quality of your content.

3. arthnel

arthnel Entrepreneur

I also agree that quality content is the key. It's simply what keeps people coming back for more or subscribing and telling friends about your blog. Word count doesn't really matter once you successfully put the content together so well that your offering information that people want. That trend isn't going t change for a very long time to come. People need information so writing good consistent information is key #1. The next key I believe is getting the information to the right people easier and creativity and some hard work usually facilitates that process.

4. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

I don't find this to be the case. I respect where you are coming from with this, but in my opinion, proper copywriting will cancel out this position.

Actually science says that 60 seconds was true over fifty years ago and it has been declining since. Today, on average, marketing firms that track this conclude that we now have fewer than seven seconds.

Agreed, as long as it matters to the target audience and not based on your opinion of what matters. The exception would be personal blogs. Commercial blogs and sites, and niche blogs and sites, any site built for monetization, are not built around our personal opinions. They are built around the target audience and built around what their beliefs are.

It depends on whether you are contributing author sometimes. I often have character confinements when guest blogging, as well as when content opportunities on higher profile sites are offered to me or requested of me.

I can't agree with this at all, with only one exception. That exception is when one has established a style that works within a specific space and for a specific space or niche.

I write about four thousand words a day as final pieces. I write for dozens of audiences through every week. My writing styles are developed for each audience, this way I can have a voice within each specific group that is unique and molded to the readers.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

While I do agree with the majority of the OP, I'm also going to have to disagree with the last point about the style.

While there are benefits to sticking to the same style of writing, I think you'll benefit more by mixing it up a but as this will grab the attention more of the regular reader.

6. KerBel

KerBel Entrepreneur

Thank you for your tips! I find that creating infographics, and designing my own images on my blog increases the amount of leads I get when promoting my content on social media (pinterest, and tumblr in particular). The images are often re-shared, and linked back to my blog so I would reccomended doing this if you promote your content on pinterest or tumblr like sites (well chosen images can make a strong impact).

7. Billy Gene Is Marketing

Billy Gene Is Marketing Entrepreneur

Very interesting! Thank you for your post!

8. Cleveland76

Cleveland76 Entrepreneur

The title is important, but I think writers really need to lay off the obvious "click bait" style headlines which we've been inundated with over the past several years, with sites like Upworthy, AOL, Yahoo and others who have been doing this constantly. It's gotten so bad, that there are actually parody web sites which can auto-generate such titles on the fly. It's exhausting to scan over a page of articles, and every title is trying to bait you into clicking it.

Also, though long form articles do perform really well in terms of SEO if they are written properly, some people write without any consideration for being concise and straight to the point. Instead they just ramble on and on, as if they're just sitting at their desk with Dragon Naturally Speaking, and just rattling off any and everything that pops into their head. It's particularly infuriating when they keep making promises about what they're going to be covering later on, repeating points they've already said multiple times already, and take forever to get to the meat and bones of what the reader is looking for.

9. Barnes Thomas

Barnes Thomas Entrepreneur

Interesting post :)

I really enjoyed and agree that the title is very important.

10. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

I have been writing online regularly since 2010. After publishing on various writing sites for six years, I have finally launched my website. I don't have many articles on my website, however, over the days I will be publishing more. Thanks for the reminder.

11. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhya Entrepreneur

Thank you for these wonderful ideas. I will follow these as they are very convincing. A lot of bloggers don't understand how important the title is. There are a lot of blogs that I have read which have great content, but fail to attract attention. The fact that most bloggers fill their websites with ad templates makes the content difficult to read. They should strategically select what number of ads are to be displayed on their blog or website. Thanks again for the post. Appreciate it.

12. swalia

swalia Entrepreneur

Very valid points. A good and catchy title is important but definitely not more important than the content. Also word limit is a tricky thing. While some readers have limited attention span and prefer reading 250-400 words long posts, some readers prefer to read long in-depth posts. We can't really stick to one formula when it comes to the length of the posts.

13. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

I do think the title is what catches a reader's eye. It is all about interesting topics and who your target audience may be. I know for me I tend to gravitate to websites/blogs that are talking about things that interest me or any of my friends. Therefore the title plays a major part in this aspect.

14. Bonyi

Bonyi Entrepreneur

Great and very enlightening post.
    One thing I will suggest is have a topic you are a master in.
    Some bloggers pick topics that they are not good at and end up deviating at the end of the day

15. eProject

eProject Entrepreneur

You must consider posting original content on your blog. Don't copy and paste content from other blogs or websites. If you have to post content from other sites then you must provide a link to that site. You must also have a unique style of writing your content, don't do what other writers do. Make sure you check your content for any grammatical errors before you can publish it. You must research before writing about something you don't know, that is the only way that readers will understand you are serious about what you post.

16. Healey4

Healey4 Entrepreneur

Thank you for this informative post! I was curious if you think niche blogs (typewriters, local flowers in a certain town) have any chance of surviving or becoming profitable? I know part of the niche focus means there's less saturation in whatever you're writing about- meaning it'll be found easier when searching.... but there's also less of a demand for the content, meaning less overall views on your page. Can your website support itself based on adsense alone, or do I need to prepare a shopping page to turn more revenue?

17. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

I think you forgot the obvious. Write on the topic that readers find interesting. If your article does not get visitor, it will not earn revenue. No revenue means your hard work has gone waste. First you must choose a topic that gets searches on the internet. There is not point in becoming 1 of 1.

18. Healey4

Healey4 Entrepreneur

That makes sense, I was just interested if I'd be more 'searchable' because of less clutter in the same topic- instead of having a broad topic like 'selecting a baby diaper' having a more specific one like 'your baby's vegan diet'. One is being used more often than the other. Regardless, thanks for the reply!

19. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

Those are very great tips! I think it varies from person to person but most of the time, what you said works. For me, I'll add in some variations:

1. Regarding the title, I always try to make mine unique and catchy. But I don't like click bait titles at all. So I'd rather use questions as titles or use normal titles. I don't like luring in the readers in a misleading title.

2. I would also add that it also works great if you research your topic well. I would always allot my weekdays for research and then write the article during the weekends. This way, it's well-studied and I get to understand the topic well before writing it.

3. Lastly, I add interesting pictures and images to capture the reader's attention.

Good luck everyone!

20. davidper

davidper Entrepreneur

hare good, thank you